Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RA5C Vigilante

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RA5C Vigilante

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 02:53 AM
rmcc
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RA5C Vigilante

Does anyone make a kit for the RA5C Vigilante? I know Phil Knuckles of Ace Hobbies in FL used to make one, but his phone number is disconnected. Also, RCM has plans for the A3J , predecessor of the RA5C, but a pain to convert.
Anyone have any assistance? Thanks.

Bob McCormack
Old 06-21-2002, 03:01 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RA5C Vigilante

I think they are called american modelling, down in florida. They make a full kit. Their website may be down, my old bookmark did not work. Kit looked really nice, was reasonable...
Old 06-21-2002, 03:04 AM
rmcc
My Feedback: (28)

Default Thanks

Easytiger,

Thanks for the information. I will try to contact them.

Bob
Old 06-21-2002, 12:19 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Default RA5C Vigilante

Bob,

Phil Nuckles sold the molds to Tim Davis in Jacksonville. He has been kitting the RA5C Vigilante and together with Phil have made mods to the plans for turbine power. Phil currently has a turbine version under construction.
If you are interested in a Vigi I suggest you get in touch with Tim. I dont have his # here at work but you should be able to contact him via email or PM here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/member.php...nfo&userid=560

Todd
Old 06-21-2002, 12:21 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Default RA5C Vigilante

They HAD a website. From the looks of it, the Vigilante kit looked excellent, and was a reasonable deal. Seemed perfect for 750 class turbines.
They also had an airliner, can't remember what it was...
Thanks for the info, Todd.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:10 PM
embpic1

Default RE: RA5C Vigilante

Hey love2flyrc, that link does not work any more. Any idea how I can get in touch with Tim Davis. I am really interested in building a model of the Vigi.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-10-2004, 09:00 AM
lov2flyrc

Sean,
Nobody is quite sure what happened to these molds, Phil has been trying to buy the molds back from him but....Tim kinda flaked out and wont tell anyone where the molds wound up. Phil does have another fuse so I believe he is in the process of making new molds off of it.... I suggest you contact Phil at 386-761-9780 and get your name on the list
Todd
Old 05-10-2004, 09:09 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

greg pulcini built the one at florida jets this year from the american modeling kit. he may pop on and elaborate but nothing fit and while tim was helpful at first he stopped returning greg's attempts to contact him. there is not a whole lot on greg's that he did not have to re-make or seriously modify. again tim and greg pop on here now and again so they may elaborate..

if phil is working on it again, i would wait on his then.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 AM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

There was a rumor that Jetmart USA had the molds and was going to kit it in the future. Maybe they can give you an update. If anybody gets details, please post it.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi all,
The Vigi was origionally built by Phil Nuckles and then I purchased the design and rehashed it to bring it up to todays standards removable hatches ,exhaust nozzles,canopy,construction plans,interior layout ,external tanks and so on. I sold a handful 5 if my memory serves me correct. Barely recouped cost . I also was playing with several other INTENSE twin designs. I think the vigi had 13 molds just for glass parts.Theese planes had a HUGE amount of parts involved. As for parts not fitting -mine went togather ok and so did a friends??? And considering $800-$900 for a full 1/10th scale kit compare to BVM size and price. You get what you pay for. The plane was well worth the cost by far.

I never built kits to make a living my full time company does that, just as a hobby and something to keep my hands busy. I like to tinker in the shop .Anyways when you are producing 3-5 kits per month it turns into a job. Within a few years I sold 100 or so kits and realized I no longer flew and did not have fun always building parts and helping other . The calls at 3:00 in the am from overseas were no fun either. So I backed off and build kits when I feel like it then sell at one time specials. And I fly alot more now.

The rumors that Ronnie at Jet Mart having all of my designs are CORRECT. Except for a 12lb class sport jet and buckeye I am working on them. He may chime in he is on here also aka "Skybouncer". Ronnie is a good friend of mine and has several designs, you might be impressed with how many 25-27. He will be making a large showing soon. If you call and ask nicely he might send you one.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:56 PM
jetsrfun

Phil, himself, responding to forums.
Yes, I did sell my molds and plans to Tim Davis, with the understanding that if he would no longer
be manufacturing the kits, I would have first refusal to them. When I understood that he did
no longer wished to kit them, I called and left messages on his answering machine many times, for him to contact me. No luck! I even drove to his home in Jax to try to buy the stuff back, but his excuse was that someone had them in GA or SC, and he would drive up and bring them back. He promised to call back in a couple weeks. Well, that was in October. Huh! Well, I will be making a new and improved model, since I now have access to a CNC machine for making new molds. I have been working for a full-size kit plane company which manufactures an all-composite aircraft. Since we have the capability of making molds and kits, we will be using the maching for pushing out some gorgeous jets in the near future. I have people in the shop that are willing to help me get these out the door. We will keep you up-to-date on our progress.
Thanks for the interest!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:59 PM
FastMover

Any update on the status of an A-5B or Recon Vigilante? Was contemplating doing one from the RCM plans but a kit would be quicker.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
jetsrfun

This is Phil Nuckles (jetsrfun), in answer to your question. I designed an RA5C based on a subject found in a little museum in Pueblo, Colorado. I had an article published in Flying Models on January 1997. It was based on a Byron fan unit; I still have the first proto type with over a 100 flights at meets. Its retired now! I have been working on a new version for turbine but this is still in the development stage.
Greg Pulcini, located in Texas, has been flying a turbine version on my original kit with mods for almost two years.
I'm located in the Daytona Beach area and own a hobby shop called Ace Hobbies. Our e-mail is [email protected] if you need more info.
Greg says its a great flyer and very forgiving, one of the few jets that actually has a glide slope if the turbine shutsdown.
Hope this info helps a little, Phil.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Bob:

Here is a photo of Greg Pulcini on the right at MAB 2005 with his gorgeous Vig........

Seems to fly with no bad habits.....I think he is still using a RAM for power......looks super sweet in the air...the all-flying tail is super-cool.....

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31765.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	298771  
Old 07-18-2005, 08:25 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

jetsrfun replied ...
I had an article published in Flying Models on January 1997. It was based on a Byron fan unit; I still have the first proto type with over a 100 flights at meets. Its retired now!
Hi, Phil. I'm glad this thread is alive again! Yes I DO remember all the work that went into the original VegeMatic plug! And the old ByroBlaster 1st flight article too. The FM article you speak of was awesome. The fact it flies so well - and with the actual glide you speak of - should surprise no one. I sure hope some out there are willing to build a few more; what an awesome jet.

My best to Sharon. Cheers.

Mike
Old 07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg Pulcini RA5C/ A3J-2p
Liberty Bell 2004
Semper Fi
Joe

Name:	Ro41973.gif
Views:	249
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	298787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88636.gif
Views:	237
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	298788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65763.gif
Views:	255
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	298789  
Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Greg Pulcini had his jet at Reese Tech Center (T-38 Jet Rally) few years ago. And he had it test flown by John Redman on the sticks. That first take-off stopped everyone's heart! John managed to get Greg's plane all trimmed out and landed it in one piece.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Skybouncer
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Everybody, just dropped in to answer the questions.

MOLDS:
Yes i do have all the molds for the A-5

KITS OF THE A-5
No plans yet to kit this aircraft, I just dont see enough sales to justify kitting it, unless theirs at least a dozen wanting it.

There will be one... maybe two flying next season.

IT WILL BE LISTED ON THE WEBSITE AS A CUSTOM BUILT AIRCRAFT ONLY AT THIS TIME.

THANKS ALL, Ronnie
Jet -Mart USA
770-548-3155 cell
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone know where to get a drawing of a A 5 Vigilante that shows the stations of the fuselage?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:08 PM
jetsrfun

Hi Jo:

I designed the RA5C version of the Vigilante back in 1993 and sold kits of my version.
I obtained a Squadron Publications technical book and used this as a reference for my design; Also there was a full size version at a small museum in Pueblo Colorado that I used for reference. I made the original drawings and produced molds from a plug that I built. I still have the proto type model which has several fights on it as a ducted fan version using the old Byron unit.
I have designed a new variation for turbine use but do not have kits available at this time.
It is a great flying aircraft and good for entry level turbine flying.
Please feel free to contact me at anytime for further info.

PhilN Johnstown, Colorado
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
jofunk

Hi Phil,

I had a plastic model of a Vigilante when I was a kid and always thought it was a cool plane. I ordered a set of your plans. I am assuming a wooden plane can be built from them. I was thinking of modeling it with the tail cone missing as it would be if it had to drop its weapon. With the center open I would build it for a single turbine in the center. I am very interested in seeing your plans but it will be four or six weeks for delivery.

Thanks,
Joe Felonk
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
jofunk

Is anyone familiar with the Koku Fan / Bunrin Do Books. Does their # 121 of the Vigilante have bulk heads and stations in it? They are written in Japanese but from what I understand they are a very good source of documentation.

Last edited by jofunk; 02-19-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM
jofunk

Hi Bob,

I see you looking at this thread that you started in 2002. Did you ever build a Vigilante. I am looking for any info I can find on an RC Vigilante.

Joe Felonk

P.S. I don't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe, I did a little searching and was unable to find any station # or production prints but did find the drawing below. For a lot of scale info, this download may help http://depositfiles.com/files/f78yktny1
I assume you are thinking of another large build like the Panther?

Name:	RA-5C cross sections.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	1970402  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 AM
jofunk

Hi Scott,

Vladimir will decide the final size because he wants to do one also. I am sure it will be on the large side. I have this book with a side view with a bunch of info,but no front view of all those stations and production breaks. Somewhere there is the sister to this page.

Joe

Name:	100_8143.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	539.6 KB
ID:	1970505   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8144.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	1970506  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.