Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbines and Edf's performing on the same stage.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbines and Edf's performing on the same stage.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:10 PM
billybaru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbines and Edf's performing on the same stage.

Wow,
I was sure there would be some decent dialoge after that last one, but you electric boys have blown a gasket!

Remember the last thread, "NO CRYING IN RC JETS!"

I am curious how do you get your electric waiver? Is there a web site or something like that? Oh i remember you don't need a waiver.
Why don't you need a waiver for a electric ducted fan? Well because its not a turbine? Well why isn't it a turbine?
I speculate because it doesn't burn jet A or kerosene at 600 degrees C for starters.

Who needs to have this explained further?

Daren and your other brother Daren, who made you Guys the guiding light of all things with wings?

Emotion rules, right
[X(]
Old 04-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Have Blue

You don't need a waiver if you don't fly at an AMA field. It's just the AMA's way of keeping it's insurance legal BS in check. Personally I think waivers are a good thing, but I wouldn't act like your an Astronaut now.

It doesn't mean you are a good pilot and I seen plenty of people flying jet's who aren't great pilots. Take one inverted across the deck at 2 feet and I will say you are a great pilot.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:33 PM
billybaru

Blue, What you said is a little naive! The AMA pres is more than just a little concerned about jets.
There is alot more to it than admin! We have to keep a log book now! You won't be able to maintain a waiver unless you stay current. There will be a few that lose the waiver as a result of the new rules.
Why would the AMA be concerned to that extent if it was a simple administrative issue?

As much as you don't like to hear it there is a difference between EDFs and Turbines and it is significant enough to warrant a different set of rules.

Bring your camel to horse race and see if you can convince the other jockeys it's a funny looking horse, it ain't going to happen.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is clear that those who fly EDF's just don't measure up to your high standards of humanity. Please go buy your own flying field so the rest of us can mingle and enjoy each others BS and company at the flying field WE got and maintain.

Even when I get a turbine, I surely don't need your kind of grief.

Bad attitude #73
Old 04-15-2004, 11:45 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Thanks Jim I really apreciate the supporting words, I will not even respond to the rest of this madness seems like most don't want to listen to logic. Exclusion has never promoted progress, and never will. I just think a lot of folks forget that this is just a "hobby" and is ment to be a form of fun, relaxation, and brotherhood.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:47 PM
billybaru

No offense Jim, But exactly why are you so upset? Where exactly did we go wrong?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Have Blue

Well to put it lightly, a Turbine loaded with fuel, is a big risk not just to people but to the land especially if your flying in Southern California or anywhere else where brushfires can be started. An EDF is also a weapon so is a .40 size trainer or even a Helicopter. There has been people killed or injured by R/C planes way before Turbines even existed in this form. You don't need a waiver to fly a Quickee 500 or a Pylon Plane and they can reach in excess of what a turbine can hit or close to it.

If you think EDFs are childs play, then you are ignorant at best. Most EDF's are just as lethal, only reduced is the risk you won't burn down 1000 acres and cause $$$ damage. Now with lipolys that is possible, but I don't see the AMA running out placing waivers on using lipolys probably because their wasn't any cases to warrant it.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:01 AM
billybaru

Now we're getting somewhere. You yourself made the cruical distinction in your first paragraph. Turbines have a lot more potential.

What is the difference between a woman with PMS and a terrorit?
You can negotiate with a terrorist.

Why in the Sam Hill are you electrics so offended by the obvious?

This is just a hobby, smile be happy.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:07 AM
sandslx
My Feedback: (1)

You don't have to be the head cashier at Wall-mart to figure out why many turbine pilots don't want to compete for airspace with a foamie.
What part of midair are we not understanding....Is it the "mid" or the "air"?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16172.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	122777  
Old 04-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

The Europeans finally got something right today. Only fools negoiate with terrorists.

Sandsix,
You seem to be a pretty graphic kind of guy, so tell us why it has to be the fault of anyone except the turbine pilot when a midair occurs. It is not like the EDF or foamie can get out of your way any better than some other kind of aircraft, so why do you insist that they have to?

If you drive like that, please stay off MY roads because I DO NOT DRIVE BY THE REAR VIEW MIRROR and you have just stated that you will NOT take responsibility for where you are going. It sounds like you are saying that you are an unsafe pilot and the rest of us should go away and let you practice your expensive bad habits.

If that is not what you intended, I might suggest a little more thought about the approach. I do understand some of your concerns, but not the smoke screen being put up in the name of turbine purity. Your concerns are the same the scale guys have about folks doing 3D in the middle of the runway environment. Most of them are not very good pilots and they prove that by not maintaining situational awareness. Now if my little foam EDF sticks your big expensive turbine powered plane, you must have been doing something wrong because your stall speed is only slightly lower than my flat out speed. Care to analyze that?
Old 04-16-2004, 12:33 AM
Have Blue

sandslx, I like your style you log out and lurk the thread waiting to post some idiotic response with pictures of your relatives. Maybe if some of you clowns would stop being armchair generals and get out and fly more, you would become "great" pilots, but no we have to keep the kit and turbine companies in business now don't we?

"Foamie"? Yeah I guess all EDFs are foam Yep the likes of Wemotec, Schuebeler, Aeronaut, Airworld and others are just kids toy's available at your local Toys R Us.

I guess the AMA should ban the Delta Dart Program they so actively promote at half time, it's all kid's stuff anyways.

Yeah this is a "hobby", at least it was once....not here though it's that good'ole country club your not welcome because your different mentality.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:48 AM
billybaru

Jim,
Why do you concern yourself with the turbine community? You don't own a turbine do you?

I don't post on the electric forum because I couldn't care less what you guys are doing. I couldn't care less if you guys started cold fussion or invented the perpetual motion machine.

So exactly what is it that compells you to come into our forum and start pissing in our Wheaties? If we want to vent frustrations, who are you to tells us what to think about your flying piece of FOD. I personally think if I ever saw an EDF again it would be too soon. I bet your Depends has sprung a leak!

Each of us, especially those who have waivers and exercise them can choose to like or dislike EDFs in our jet rallies. I choose to dislike them. I think they are a safety hazard, I think the guys flying them don't understand the intracies of the turbines and the skill involved. I think the EDF guys who have been waging their tongues on this thread should worry about the thing EDF guys worry about like wind gusts greater than 3 knots, where the softest grass is, why I left my Foam Zap at home, when will they invent turbine that will fit in my foammie.

That goes for the Savage twins, Who the heck do you think you are. Especially when you started the whole conversation with you pathetic plea for a trophy.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:48 AM
Have Blue

Hey sandslx I mean Justin, since when did the Blue Angels start flying BobCat's?

Old 04-16-2004, 01:07 AM
billybaru

Hey Hav blue,
You seem alittle upset? Am I correct in assuming you wouldn't know a turbine from a banana? You would happen to have turbine waiver let alone a compassionate bone in your body,

Can't you see he's in a wheel chair for the love of man how could you!!!!!!!!!

Just because you can walk and stand in your workshop doesn't mean you have the right to disrepect this poor lad. I have absolutely no respect for you or your or elecrtic buddies who put you up to this.

What you have done is unthinkable, unsavory, unprecedented, unscrupulous, unspeakable, unsophisticated not to mention unwholesome!!!!!
We in the turbine community Demand an apology!
[[>:][>:]
Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Ed Waldrep

You just hate electric airplanes don't you billy? So freaking what, I'm not going to stop flying them because you don't like them. You think turbines are just so much better and that anything else is a joke. Ok, whatever dude, be an elitist all you want but I can get to a field and make an entire flight with my EDF and be gone before you get assembled, fueled up, and flying! I've got nothing against turbines I think they are cool but I don't want to spend that kind of money on one airplane. You may not care about electrics but here you are in this thread bashing them when you could be reading another thread or building something, so something has got your panties in a bunch. You also suggested that EDF flyers have no skills. I tell you what, you make an Extra 300 available and I'll show you one of the sweetest slow rolls you'll ever see, then I'll attach a paint brush to the tail and flyby inverted and paint a new white line down the center of the runway! I once performed a four point roll during a night flight on the maiden flight of a brand new Goldberg Chipmunk. No trimming passes, that was right off the runway. I guess every newbie can do that though. I've flown a Roo a bit a couple of years ago, the power was nice but I didn't find it that challenging. It was easier than some of the edfs I've flown which are smaller and thus harder to see and have higher wingloadings.

It seems some (a vocal few) think that we electric flyers shouldn't come into the JET forum and defend ourselves after an issue is blown way out of proportion. Well, keep on thinking that, but I joined RCU specifically to repsond to this Bravo Sierra. It's made to sound like the sky at BITW was full of parkflyers all day long, what a load. I flew 3 times on saturday, and the other EDFs that I saw there made three flights, and one of those was early in the morning when no one else was up. So, five EDF flights and how many turbine flights? Say 120 during the day (that's probably a conservative number with over 60 pilots being registered). Yeah, oh man, we took up what, 3 to 4 % of the flights? Oh man what a major nuisance we are. Banning electrics will ensure that no midairs ever occur. Riiiiiiight.

I'd love to have an EDF only event, but there'd be maybe 3 pilots there. EDFs are so new it'd be like having a turbine rally right after the JPX came out back in the early to mid 90s. Two guys show up and 3 spectators...that's not very practical right now.

There's a small number of voices generating a lot of racket, making a big issue out of next to nothing. Amazing....[:'(]
Old 04-16-2004, 03:52 AM
TGoodwin

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75.../tm.htm#752010

Some of the same people. Same attitudes. Last years Dixie Jet Rally. I only saw one GDF fly at Best of the West so I guess they had nothing to complain about. I guess EDF is the next best target. All THREE pilots with their FIVE planes really put a burden on the other EIGHTY SEVEN or so. I am not counting the CD's foamy. People sure are proud of their "waivers" around here. Their "waivers" are their whole existence. Man you guys are my heroes! No really! I mean that. When I grow up I want to be just like you. What a joke. They did get much more attention this time. Good work stirring the pot guys. We took the bait. One of these days you may get your way but until then just keep jumping up and down and rolling around on the ground complaining. Go ahead and sing your own praise. Keep honoring yourselves and your waivers or was it your waivers and yourselves? Anyone notice a pattern here? I bet with a little effort in searching the forums you will see the same sarcastic, condescending attitudes from the same select few individuals.

I am not going to participate in the rhetoric any longer.

Have a nice day.

Ted
Old 04-16-2004, 06:49 AM
sandslx

Jim,
Trust me you don't want to be on the road with me at the same time, because I would suck the doors off of that rig too. You electric folks are so quick to point out how much you can do with so little. I'll bet your not even touching the front of your underwear right now!

I have an idea for you...........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67629.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	122825  
Old 04-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Haldor
My Feedback: (5)

I wonder - if one is gaining on another plane whatever - who is then repsonsible for making the coming pass safe?
The one with the most $$$$ in the air? If one really think so... well...

In a Rally that is open for any jet aircraft like BiTW ranging from simple electric pushers to top dollar turbines each and everyone is on equal ground. Period. Everyone need to take the others into account. Bad mix? Segment them.

"Mine is bigger than yours..." attitude gets you nowhere.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:34 AM
mugenkidd

ORIGINAL: billybaru

Jim,
Why do you concern yourself with the turbine community? You don't own a turbine do you?

I don't post on the electric forum because I couldn't care less what you guys are doing. I couldn't care less if you guys started cold fussion or invented the perpetual motion machine.

So exactly what is it that compells you to come into our forum and start pissing in our Wheaties? If we want to vent frustrations, who are you to tells us what to think about your flying piece of FOD. I personally think if I ever saw an EDF again it would be too soon. I bet your Depends has sprung a leak!
The point is this is not a "turbine community" this is a JET community.

DANG!!!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

EDF

Hey Guys did you know that there is a separate forum for Electric Jets.

I would have thought the intent of RC Universe was for this Forum to be Turbine Jets.

Jim you have every right to fly your airplane at any AMA field you belong. Turbine pilots prefer to fly with turbine pilots because we know more about each other aircrafts flight performance and requirements. Even you must concede that the speed of the EDF varies tremendously.

This thread needs to be closed and The new title of this section should be Turbine Jets.

Ian
Old 04-16-2004, 09:29 AM
mugenkidd

ORIGINAL: Flyjets

This thread needs to be closed and The new title of this section should be Turbine Jets.

Ian

Not gonna do it... Never gonna happen.

Hello??????? This forum is also for ICDF guys too.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Gordito Volador

Michael,

ICDF has been flamed pretty hard here as well in the past, they are almost extinct at Jet Rallys now mainly because of the same grief you see displayed here. So, with a minimum of ICDF planes to rag on the new target is EDF.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:49 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Flyjets

I believe the intent of RC Universe was for this Forum to be Turbine Jets and it needs to be corrected.
That is incorrect. This forum was originally set up for all models of jet aircraft. Turbine, ICDF, EDF and propjets (horrors!) were all included. A lot of guys discussed the Patriot (propjet) because they got their waivers on them. ICDF's have always had a considerable following here.

I think that some of the EDF's, with their new propulsion systems, have just recently moved out of the park flier status. I think that these new, more powerful systems will allow the EDF's to coexist with turbines and ICDF's. I actually plan on getting a Savage SU-27 when I get done with my current project....I will be bringing it to jet events (as long as they aren't banned).

If you have to resort to name calling and lots of exclamation points....your argument must not be that strong. Posts with personal attacks will be deleted.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Gordito Volador

Bob,

Thank you for defining the focus and purpose of the Jet Forum.

Regarding the Savage SU-27 kit, what a high quality work of art! The laser cut wood, composite ducting, and well written instruction manual are all excellent. I got mine a month ago and hope to fly it at FIJR at Lake Wales in November (allowing that EDF's won't be banned at this event).
Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Have Blue

Oh! come on billyboy, I wasn't making fun of anyone because they are in a wheelchair. Where do you sum up that notion? Nothing better then someone who likes to dish it out but can't take it. That goes for the both of you. Maybe you should apologize to the people you ripped and decimated? This doesn't go for all turbine people, but some of you are getting a bad rap for thinking your @#$@ doesn't stink. So arrogant and rude towards others, I'm sure if people acted that way at Oshkosh where people fly real planes of all varieties, it would be as successful as it is today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.