Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Eurosport wing panel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Eurosport wing panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Eurosport wing panel

Hi Eurosport flyers, I had a cross wind mishap with my Eurosport and did in the right wing. I have posted in the wanted column, but it seems there is more viewing going on here. Anyone have a right wing panel they could part with? Or know someone that does?
Thanks in advance!

Gary Szetlak
Old 04-23-2004, 10:32 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Eurosport wing panel

Gary, can you send me some pics of your banged up one? I'd like the opportunity to fix it for you for free if you don't mind. I want to do some intricate mods to my Euro wings, but I'd like to take a crack with the mods I want to make and your wing might be the perfect opportunity. I can have the work done in less than two weeks if your interested and in PPG primer for it's return trip home.

Sean
Old 04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure, I have all the pieces. Send me your address and I'll work on getting it sent out. We are in the process of moving this week so bear with me. It may take a day or two to get things together

[email protected]
Old 04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sean, what are the mods you are planning? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:20 PM
seanreit

Wocket, you don't have enough clearance! The aerodynamics alone would take to long to explain to you

I'm not sure yet really. I'm gonna look at carbon fibre matting the basa structure, or going to light ply or ply. I actually want to split my wings at the seem and rebuild the whole thing. I'm not happy with it at all. If I can put another spar structure in and tie the landing blocks to the fuse, I'm gonna do it. I won't know till I get into it. This is going to be a play project at best. It might not be doable. This is a good opporutunity to look around and see what can be done from another approach.

Sean
Old 04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Miguel Santana

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an spare set of wings...red.
Mail me at [email protected]
Regards,
Miguel
Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Woketman

Why Sean? Do they appear too whimpy? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:47 PM
ossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean,
A previous Jet Power mag had an article on the scale finishing of Eurofighter, I think it went over 2 or 3 issues.
The model had an interesting main undercarriage setup. Retracts were fitted to a rail assembly that is fitted to the fuse, transfering the load away from the wings.
I don't how successful it is, but it sure looked neat.
Cheers
Ken
Old 04-26-2004, 07:11 PM
seanreit

The existing setup is too wimpy there is no doubt about it. Todd's got way over 200 flights on his and has had significant landing gear failures many times. I've got over 50 flights on mine and while no significan't failure, every time I have a bounce I'm sent undermy airplane fixing fissurs with aeropoxy. This jet needs a spar system for the landing gear that is bullet proof. This is easily a 35 to thirty flight a weekend airplane. I put over 15 flights on it last Saturday and between 7 and 10 on Friday depending if hotfuels count. However, when I finally inspected my airplane on Sunday the wood pin in the front of the wing had failed, one of the landing blocks had failed. I didn't have one NOT ONE hard landing. It's just not where it needs to be. If you have a hard landing on this airplane, you can see how the gear will punch through the wing in a heartbeat. I'd rather mess around with a spar system to distribute the load. Even if that means tearing all this apart cause I can see hundreds and hundreds of flights happening on this airplane IT'S THAT FUN.

For those who heard what I did on TV Live News last Saturday, you know that this is the only airplane that can do that!

Sean
PS, if you can get me acopy of that spar gear thing in that magazine, please point me in the right direction. DOn't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Woketman

Sean, what did you do on TV?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:12 PM
seanreit

In my opinion, the Euro is the only jet that could have made that flight under those conditions. Maybe David Reid could have done it with a Kingcat. he's a pretty good stick.

Sean
Old 04-26-2004, 08:12 PM
seanreit

100 foot ceiling, visibility a few hundred feet diameter. Flew the Euro, hot fueled and did it again. Not only that, did a roll 15 feet off the deck going about 20 mph right show center in front of the camera man. I think he peed himself as apparently it was caught in the middle of the screen live. We had several hundred spectators that day, a bunch of which indicated to me "that's the one I saw on TV!". The distances I just gave could have been less, you'd have to ask people who saw it. As I understand it, standing only 30 feet behind me, the jet was fogging out several times in the flight to some witnesses. I'm also told a high ranking person of an organization related to jets almost came out and shut me down.

I love this stuff!

Sean
Old 04-27-2004, 02:16 AM
ossie

Sean,
Jet Power 03/2003 and 04/2003 are the mags you need, I can scan and email the pages (12 pages) to you if that helps.
Thinking of painting my ES in scale colours in the not too distant future, I may incorporate that mod at the same time.
Got to get the thing flying first.
Cheers
Ken.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Actually,
Just a correction here...... I havent had many gear mount issues with my 350+ flights other than glue joints constantly breaking. Two weeks ago I finally had a gear plate failure when I biffed a landing getting one wheel in the grass. My solution was to bond 3mm carbon plates to the gear mounts. This has completely eliminated the weak flex plate issues and I now have no fear I will break my mounts. Some intentional "harrier" landings this past weekend has proven the mounts to be more than adequate.
Can post info on this Mod if there is interest...
Todd
Old 04-27-2004, 01:29 PM
cnbhome
My Feedback: (2)

Yes please post. Also there was a conversation about a German Site that had a photo of your Canard mods saying that they were upgrading the kit but I can not find it, do you remember the title of the thread or if they have actually made changes to the kit.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:10 PM
lov2flyrc

I'll post the mods as soon as I can. As for my canard linkage setup..... C-ARF has adopted these arms on their new version of the eurosport which should be released in the next few months. In addition to a COPY of my arms, the following is what C-ARF states has changed on the coming version....

"we have changed the wood structure in the wing to plywood ribs, interlocking with the gear plates. We have added quarter grain balsa supports to the top wing skin. We have changed the nose gear mounting plate and doubled it up at the rear end.

Nose gear plate and canard axles and bearings are installed. We do not use ball bearings, though.

the removable fin was very tricky regarding servo placement and linkage, but we have used only one single linkage crossing over from right to left, which solved the problem. So no linkages have to be disconnected when removing the fin.

we have changed the mounting of the rear bottom hatch. We added the option to hold the hatch with the rear glas rod.

We have increased the layup in the front area of the fuselage, and completely redesigned the packaging.

We are doing conformal fuel cells and stronger air intakes as an option. These accessories will be available soon."

Todd
Old 04-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Hi Todd:

I thought you had already done that to your plane or I would have mentioned it before....I bought Wayne McCosker's never flown Eurosport at Winamac last year and immediately sold it to my buddy Dave Elsinger....before I did that, I did laminate the stock gear plates in the wings both on the top and bottom side with some of Art Gajewski's 3mm plate out as far as I could get it and still get the plates thru the gear opening hole....I tapped the plate for 6:32 screws, getting rid of the blind nuts which weakend the stock plates, IMO.....I also doubled the nose gear plate with big pieces of C/F plate top and bottom, actually about 3" x 4" square.....that did essentially did preclude stuffing in Tam's intakes but the plane flies great without it......the beefup was finished similar to yours in regard to the root rib and first outboard rib.....these were doubled with solid 3/16" aircraft grade plywood.....many flights off our grass field which is smooth but not as smooth as asphalt.....Dave is a good stick so not many bad landings, but a few, including one at SM 2003 when one of the elevon servo mounts broke loose and he did a great save, making around the patch and landing with only one elevon, the other in trail......mods have been perfect so far without any cracks.....

When I get a chance, I will post some photos......

Tom
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99670.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	126875  
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 PM
lov2flyrc

Hey Tom,
Good to hear from you. I originally built the nose gear plate from 3mm carbon thinking the stock plate was not going to be adequate (silly me). I had not done any carbon reinforcement to the mains however, just the ribs with 3/16 ply. I have been wanting to add the carbon to the mains for a while but have been well..... to lazy . Only after I finally split one of the flex plates was I forced to add the carbon. Really wish I had done this earlier since the gear plates are now almost indestructable! I think I will rip the wings off before these plates break . My fears of a hard landing are gone and I now find myself really playing with high alpha, harrier type landings... I'm drooling all over my keyboard as I replay them in my mind [sm=tongue.gif].
Btw, I wasn't aware you bought a Euro? Whatcha using for power?
BRG,
Todd
Old 04-27-2004, 04:21 PM
>>-GERONIMO-->

Easy fix W / 3mm, C/F L.Gear plates
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13441.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	126904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47155.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	126905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14006.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	126906  
Old 04-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Todd:

I only owned it for about a week....my buddy Dave Elsinger really had the hots for one, so I sold it to him after I did the gear plates.....he actually did the maiden....he now has two.....he bought the one Andy Kane brought to SM 2003 as a demo.......he was flying them with a P-120, but picked up a P-160 over the winter and now has that in one of them......

As Dave and I have been flying turbines off grass the last 5 years, we have learned allot, mostly the hard way, about gear reinforcements on Roos, HotSpots, Avonds 15/16, and Eurosports......with 3mm plate, sandwiching plywood with thick Aeropoxy you can drive your tent spikes

Tom
Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Hi Geronimo:

Looks just like I did Dave's.....only made my plates a little big bigger and put them in top and bottom as the regular kit starts with fiberglasses plywood and not C/F like in your Scale version......

Tom
Old 06-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Bob Toilet

Hi guys
if you contact Geir flesche- the rep for ARF COMPOSITE scandinavia, he will guide you on how to mount the landing gear in the fuselage. He has made some brackets for the main gear that you mount in the fuselage that extend out in the wings. This is very practical and solid. Then the plane will allways stand on the landing gear even when you take the wings off. i will get mine tomorrow.

Christian