Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

KingCat Engine mount

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KingCat Engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default KingCat Engine mount

Guys

I spent the afternoon mounting my P160 on the KingCat and noticed a couple of items that you may want to check. The supplied 4/40 bolts that are used to screw down the engine's aluminum mount onto the aluminum block were bottoming out before properly seating. I found all four to be about 1/16 too long. If you use the 2 #4 washers in the front mounting holes to give you more downthrust then the front screws will be fine but then check the rear ones.

The rest of this post has been edited due to my inability to follow BVs explicit instructions...sorry Bob!

Dean
www.helijet.ca
Old 05-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KingCat Engine mount

Dean:

Don't cut the fuse!!!

If you use the JetCat mount mounted UPSIDE DOWN, but keeping the engine upright, as suggested in the instructions (Page BVM-36) manual, you will have more than adequate clearance for the FOD screen.....alot of guys, including myself, missed that first paragraph on page 36....this is done since each 1/2 of the JetCat mount is not symmetrical....this also elevates the engine a bit more to protect it somewhat if the gear fails to extend.....as far as the mounting screws being too long, that's something new.....mine fit tight before bottoming...I just rechecked them....although I did add lockwashers under the bolts for safety.....then for starting trim, just 2 washers #4 under the front mounting lugs is all you usually need for high speed trim....also make sure the mounting holes on the block are oriented inboard for P-120/160.....

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30271.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	136456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47836.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	136457  
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Helijet

[sm=eek.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=eek.gif]

Now do I feel like an idiot!!!!!!! Like read the directions!!!!! Tom you are exactly right.....oh boy, back into my lil hole I go

d.w.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Helijet

O.K.

So I went back into the depths of the workshop and inverted the strap and re read both the manual and the plans. What is confusing is that the pictures show the mounting bolts AND the plans indicate the mounting bolt heads to be in the top position. This is not possible with the mount because only the bottom section is tapped. Hence the confusion. [sm=confused.gif]I happen to have the metric nuts needed to reverse the bolts ( no big deal ) and got it done. Hmmmm.......well I have more clearance now anyway.

Thanks Tom

Dean
Old 05-26-2004, 06:44 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

The P70 in my BobCat fits perfectly with the JetCat mount upside down but does anyone know WHY the JetCat mount is assymetric ?

It might work for the Bobcat/Kingcat but it sure makes life difficult for most other installations !
Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David:

I think the first aluminum P-80 mount was designed for the HotSpot.....to get the engine as close to the thrust line as possible, the lower half was larger and thus put the engine deeper than the upper half......then followed the purple anodized "Hotspot" mount which had the same asymmetry of the ring, but had longer ears (mounting lugs) to make full use of the wood plate under the glass that the mount screwed into......

Even the later Gary Mueller(Jet Tech) mounts with rivnuts were not symmetric.....

Other than that, I see no reason for the asymmetry