Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Model Afterburner?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Model Afterburner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Scale Jr.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Afterburner?

I'm extremely curious about this topic. Has anyone produced an afterburnier for a model turbine? What obstacles could be faced with this, and is it even against the rules? Pics and info would be apreciated.
Rusty
Old 05-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Model Afterburner?

Yes it's been done (e.g. the Skypipe in Europe), and yes, it's against the AMA rules.

See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1723102 for a prior discussion on the topic.

Gordon
Old 05-27-2004, 03:50 PM
scubyfan

I say we bring a coup to the AMA! [:@]
Old 05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
VF-101Guy

Just one question. I ve read all the articles about the AMA and what they say about what kind of aircraft you can build, what kind of engine you can have what kind of blah, blah, blah. If im taking all the risks with my money and my aircraft then i should be allowed to do as i please. As everybody knows that rules are made to be broken and what the AMA dont know wont hurt them. I know im probably gonna get some flak for saying this but its just a hobby and when someone or a group start saying what you can or cant do it takes the fun out of the hobby. Where all adults here and im sure that we all have a brain and know how to use it and we know how to be safe but i personally dont want some group standing behind me looking over my shoulder and saying " now , you cant do that or i think thats illegal" Like i said i know im gonna get some flak but im also looking at it this way im saying probably what alot of you are thinking.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:59 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

VF-101Guy,

The way I see it is, if you are not interested in flying at jet meets that are chartered by AMA, go for it!

AMA could proably make it imposible for you to fly at AMA chartered clubs if you decide to break the rules. But if you don't care about flying on AMA sites and AMA chartered events, then what's stopping you?
Old 05-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

I believe it shouldn't be any different than the FAA's experimental category. A certified inspector can inspect the building procedures for the airplane just as they do in the homebuilt category. The airplane and the pilot will then be certified airworthy and presented a certificate in both categories.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:16 PM
scubyfan

The point is not that it will harm you - though it may - but that flying in public fields (or AMA fields) will risk harm to others. Sometimes people can get hurt when regular planes crash, but the risk is exponentially higher for experimental models, which may implement poor safety systems.

ORIGINAL: VF-101Guy

Just one question. I ve read all the articles about the AMA and what they say about what kind of aircraft you can build, what kind of engine you can have what kind of blah, blah, blah. If im taking all the risks with my money and my aircraft then i should be allowed to do as i please. As everybody knows that rules are made to be broken and what the AMA dont know wont hurt them. I know im probably gonna get some flak for saying this but its just a hobby and when someone or a group start saying what you can or cant do it takes the fun out of the hobby. Where all adults here and im sure that we all have a brain and know how to use it and we know how to be safe but i personally dont want some group standing behind me looking over my shoulder and saying " now , you cant do that or i think thats illegal" Like i said i know im gonna get some flak but im also looking at it this way im saying probably what alot of you are thinking.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, if you have someplace to fly that is not an AMA field and you are not expecting to be covered by AMA's insurance, do what you want (but if something really bad happens, I hope you have deep pockets!). But if you are expecting the AMA's liability insurance to cover you, you'd better play by their rules. For heaven's sake, please DO NOT go around spouting out that folks should ignore the rules that we just got changed to most people's advantage. The JPO did a lot of work so the majority of us could be better off. Let's not put that into jeopardy. It is up to us to police ourselves.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:01 PM
VF-101Guy

Actually nothing is stopping me. I fly from a private airfield . I just feel that if im on my own property and spending my own money for the kits and turbines. then i feel that no one should have the right to tell me what i can or cannot do. As for the insurance issues who do you think there gonna sue if it comes down to an accident? me or some club that isnt even there. their gonna go after who did it weither or not i have AMA's insurance or not. The field I fly from is 30 miles from the nearest city and 25 miles from the nearest neighborhood so chances of me having an accident are slim to none and unless invited by the owner "myself" its considered as tresspassing and therefore i am not responsible for any liability to the person or their property. Ive been flying for quite a few years now, never had AMAs insurance never had a use for it. Started off with props went to fans and then turbines and have quite a few years in safety and im pretty sure i know what im doing since i havent had a crash in over 15 years. I AM NOT saying that they AMA is a bad thing im just saying what gives them the right to tell me anything when it comes to my own money. That would be like me tell you guys " no you cant buy the lexus you have to go for the pinto" As for me telling you to break the rules , it was just a statement .Its just like coping a rented video tape or dvd we all know its illegal but we still do it and what do 90% of the people that do say, if they dont know, it wont hurt them and i in no way , shape or form saying its cool to break all the rules. I should have written that better so i applolgize for that. Im not a bad person nor am i telling anyone to follow in my foot steps. I am just exercising my rights to free speech, thought thats what this site was about along with rc aircraft.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

VF, you said it all right there: there's nothing stopping you as long as you are not counting on the AMA's insurance. No one is trying to tell you what to do on your own property with your own $$$. They are simply saying that if you want to be covered by the liability insurance, well then you gotta play by their rules. That's all. I wish I was rich and had my own 200 acres. I'd be flying 5000 pound turbine models, but that just ain't gonna happen anytime soon (unless I hit it big like Sean!).
Old 05-29-2004, 01:12 AM
mair
My Feedback: (2)

It sounds like I need to move to Eureka, CA! I have to fly out at a salt flat 50 miles west of Salt Lake City (long drive). All the AMA fields close to my house are too small/unsafe for my jet: there are either powerlines or houses. I think that if you hurt someone, it wouldn't matter how much insurance you have, they would still go after you. And as far as liability for property, a forty pound TOC swinging a 28X10 carbon fiber prop seems as dangerous as anything else and yet, you don't hear near as much chatter going around about them dealing with the safety issues. I think that there's too much paranoia going around about these jets. It's more dangerous to use the tools to build them than it is to fly them. ie..Power Saw Blades, rasorblades, belt sanders, metal cut off tools, CA fumes, fiberglass particles, the wife when she finds out how much money you spent, etc..... I'm sure in a few more years, everything will mellow out. I just found out from a buddy of mine in Houston that a guy got killed by a Heli about 6 months ago down there. Why isn't there a requirement for a Helicopter waiver? Anyway, if anyone makes an afterburner kit, I would be more than interested. The only problem is that it would turn a 10 minute flight into a 2 minute flight with the extra fuel burn.

Gary
Old 05-29-2004, 02:29 AM
scubyfan

One doesn't use an afterburner for the whole duration, but rather during take-off and on some passes.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:18 AM
paulj1969

http://www.microjeteng.com they make them
Old 05-29-2004, 06:59 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Is this just an experiment for you?

The aircraft rear section should be able to take the heat that dumping raw fuel into the ReHeat/AfterBurner can cause.

Also this thing will suck fuel faster then you have ever seen so xtra fuel tank or tanks is a must. One word of caution it can be very addicitive to hit the Burner. You will probably need a way to measure engine Exhaust Nozzle Temp remotely wouldn't want to melt the exit point I am guessing at this comment though.

Best of Luck
Ian