Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

os .91 in yellow aircraft, breaking header bolts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

os .91 in yellow aircraft, breaking header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 11:04 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os .91 in yellow aircraft, breaking header bolts

Has anyone ever had this problem? I haven't flown the plane yet b/c the header bolts break from the vibration during taxi. I am using a JMP tuned pipe and the header that comes with it. Is there another way to secure the pipe to the engine using the stock OS header? (it lacks the hole for the retaining clip bolt)

Thanks in advance!

James
Old 07-06-2002, 12:20 AM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

Is the engine mounted directly to firewall. If not sometimes rubber mounts cause my bolts to break because there is more vibration with no where to go.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:22 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Header

In 12 years of trying just about every possible way of keeping pipes and headers together, I've only found one way that works for me for more than a couple flights.

Go buy the Violet pipe collar with retaining wire ~ $25-$30. Worth every penny. Use the OS header and 2 Viton (Black) or 2 Silicon (Orange) #116 o-rings. I usually take a flat needle file and clean up the o-ring groove on the header which allows the o-rings to seat just a little better. It will be a little difficult to slip the pipe over the o-rings but some vaseline or white lube will get it. Then tighten the retaining wire and collar to hold it in tension. Loctite the header bolts. Throw the OS o-ring away. It erodes and gets smaller each flight. This arrangement gets around 30-40 flights per o-ring set.

The big baseball bat JMP pipe needs to be hung so that the pipe hangar carrys the entire weight of the pipe at the pipe Cg, i.e.; balanced. Otherwise it vibrates and breaks things like header bolts or the pipe itself.

On another note, I prefer the standard Violet pipe for whatever that's worth.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2002, 12:33 AM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

sorry forgot it was a jet. I have the same set up in my starfire and had no problems
Old 07-06-2002, 01:00 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default need to be a little more specific

hi james,

we can probably help you out, but if you could provide us with a few more details, ie, the specific set up, fan type, is the header a jmp header, the one with the large orange bumper/heat seal, and the steel hook that bolts, to the top of the header .

the jmp system correctly set up with a dynamax fan/os91 is what we recamend for all yellow a/c d/f jets .

other combos. will surely work, but allways seem to have a much higher level of vibration .
Old 07-06-2002, 01:08 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Check www.tgajets.com ......

They have a pipe retainer simular to BVM's that uses a wire held in place with setscrews instead of a strap with holes drilled in it. A little less expensive ,too.

I substitute a piece of 1/16" steel cable for the wire, makes it easy to pull tight. Balance the Pipe as stated above, and I have never lost a pipe.

Good luck,
Old 07-06-2002, 03:25 AM
smitty1001

Default Thanks to everyone.

I try some of these suggestions and then get back!!

James
Old 07-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Danger38

I had the same problem with the screws always comming lose on the header it happen with the ya/F-18 and the JHH F-4,i used the angle header and the bolts would not stay tight so my friend took my engine body to the machine shop and had steel insert put in and that fixed my problem. Hope this help.

Danger38 Out
Old 07-06-2002, 07:27 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty,

Are you sure your pipe hanger is intact? Sometimes it breaks, then the pipe is just hanging on the header bolts. Also, I use double split washers on the bolts, and I haven't had them come loose since. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:58 PM
smitty1001

The pipe hanger is intact. I will try the washers. "double split washers"? Particular brand or does it matter?

The good news is that I ran the engine today for 15 minutes or so and everything still seems OK. Maybe the original bolt was a little "soft" or something ?!?!

Smitty