Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Glass or cover?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Glass or cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 03:38 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass or cover?

O.K. fellas, need some opinions. I've been building on my new Hot Spot and trying to decide if I want to glass and paint or keep it simple and cover.
Are most of you using 8411's in the wing?
I want to keep it simple and not break the bank unless needed. Thinking on P-80 for power, but haven't bought it yet.
Thanks for any help,
Randy
Old 07-07-2002, 05:38 AM
JohnVH

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Glass or cover?

How fast do you want to get into the air? You can cover it in one night, or spend a bunch sanding and squirting. I glassed mine because I wanted to try it and I really like a painted finish. It will probably be a little heavier with glass too.

Looks like youve made a good choice of engine too.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:37 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glass or cover?

Just cover it. Save the weight and time for your next scale model.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Randy M.

Default Glass or cover?

You both have the same thoughts as me.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:06 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Glass or cover?

Unless you are going for some really serious automotive deep gloss paint scheme, or some airbrushed chicks with swords or something, your hot spot will not really look very different if you paint the wings and fins instead of monokoting them. The monokote matches the gelcoat very well, and you'll save a pound, more or less, depending on how you paint. Plus, it will be a lot easier to repair the scuffs and scrapes on the tips of the fins if she flips over on landing, which seems to happen a lot with that model.
Unless you really want a very nice, very special paint job(which you might), then glassing it does not really add anything except a bunch of work and weight.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Randy M.

Default Glass or cover?

We are on the same page E.T.
I'm really not in the mood to paint another jet right now.
Saving a little wieght can't be bad.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Default Glass or cover?

Sorry guys, but I respectfully disagree.

Yes glass does add a bit of weight IF your not careful. BUT...... Glass & epoxy adds a whole bunch of strength! Moneycoat adds practically no strength.

I use 1.5 oz glass on my turbine wings. And they are much stronger than Money coated

Just a thought....Do as you want
Old 07-07-2002, 04:26 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Glass or cover?

Glass and resin IS stronger, but I do not see monokoted Hotspot wings failing, especially with a P80, so you don't need the strength. It DOES save a lot of the hangar rash dings, that's true.

I hear some guys who keep saying that glass and paint is just as light as monokote, well, my hat is off to those guys, because I am pretty good at glassing and painting, and I much PREFER it to monokote, but it has NEVER come out lighter for me. Never.

I really DISLIKE monokote. I hate working with it. I like painting. BUT...it has it's place in the world. I am just finishing up on a Byron Sabre, and I monokoted the wings. I just did not want the extra weight. Certainly, that weight will not make a huge difference on a plane like the hotspot, with such a huge wing area, but an extra pound or two does not HELP. On this sabre, six ounces will make a difference, I am trying to count all the calories.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:44 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Default Glass or cover?

Glass it,
weight is neglegible, based on cloth weight. For the Hot Spots I glass with 2oz. As mentioned saves on some light transport and hanger rash, and you can paint it, either with can paint like Krylon, or automotive paint.

How hard is it. Yes you can finish the job in "less time" if you monocote it, but this is how how hard the glassing process is;

1. cut cloth over sized to wing
2. lay cloth over wing
3. spread resin over cloth
4. lightly sand after curing
5. repeat for opposite wing
6. repeat for opposite surface
7. prime
8.sand
9.paint to your taste and ability (this will be the involved part if you have a complicated scheme.

http://www.airrayinc.com/a.r.i._in_progress_i.htm

At the link above is a PCM 109 that I am working on, and there are a couple of pics of the wing in the glassing stages, On Monday I will do the other side. Sunday is my day of rest, and I have the Tour to watch.

Ray
Old 07-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Monocoat

Have you ever seen someone who can monocote so good that it makes you sick to your stomach!? There is a guy in our club who is like that but he uses Ultracote for some personal reasons. I don't know how he can make things look so good but it's really amazing with graphics and such.
Wasn't there another guy out there who was totally awesome at it too? I think his name is Faye (something), I can't remember his last name...arghhh!
Anyway, just thought I would ask.
Myles
Old 07-08-2002, 09:05 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Default Glass or cover?

Realy could not be bothered to piant another jet so I glassed the fins for strenth and covered them with film and just filmed the wings cos if I remember correctly they are glassed under the veneer..arn't they??. Mine has a P120 in it, I think it's quick and it does get flown hard at times and it has stayed in one piece with no signs of stress at all, plus it's light.

jason
Old 07-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Mike James

Default Glass

I like glass for "serious" projects. (scale, contest entries, etc.) but usually Monokote "sport" projects". But on the subject of weight:

Top Flite says that Monokote opaques weight 1.8 oz/sq yd. So...
If you glass a plane lightly, using .75 oz. cloth and the equivalent resin, that's 1.5 oz/sq yd. But you still have to prime and paint it afterward, and possibly clear coat it after that, so I don't see any way to do it as lightly as Monokote.

You just have to decide if the weight penalty is an issue for your particular subject.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:36 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Default Glass or cover?

....man, I have never flown or owned anything that needed that kind of attention to weight. Ever! And I have built and flown alot of aircraft over the years. I dont knock covering, my personal skills are better at glassing. I also know a couple of guys that make monokote work look like a finely painted show car, and thanks to those cats, I paint. The old laquer based paints, used to yeild nice finishes that could be lightly applied too.

Ray
Old 07-08-2002, 10:35 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Default Glass or cover?

Lighter will always fly better. Paint can always be made to look better. Pick which one you think is the most fitting for the project at hand. My BobCat is covered because I wanted it light and simple. I think I got that. 380 flights and counting. My MiG and Bandit are painted because I wanted pretty. I think I also got that.

I also like covering because it is a lot less mess in the garage.

Go Lance!
Old 07-09-2002, 01:49 PM
SoppyJoe
My Feedback: (59)

Default Glasser!!!!!

Ray hit the nail on the head..
The weight of a glass job is not the issue. With paint, the weight verses film coverings is just ounces, not pounds. And its not like you have to glass the entire plane, its just the wings and booms...You could probably get most of the glassing done in a day or two.
I have done both glass and film coverings on two different Spots and it just seems that a nice painted surface looks so much better than film...
Whatever method you chose. good luck! I hope she flies great!!!

Joey.