Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

central texas jet rally 05

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

central texas jet rally 05

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 10:30 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default central texas jet rally 05

ok i don't have any real info other than the field improvements are in place did not want to continue the hijack of the waco thread

125 added to the runway
existing runway sealed
side transitions reworked
pit area repaved
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68549.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	144238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99740.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	144239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19115.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	144240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74483.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	144241  
Old 06-17-2004, 10:35 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: central texas jet rally 05

And I might add that the transition between the new and old runway is smooth. No lip or bump.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:38 AM
patf

we had the contractor sawcut the existing runway at the transition to create a butt joint. it is as good as we could ask for. time will tell but out of the gate it looks great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98397.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	144244  
Old 06-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys have a great place, cant wait until next year!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:55 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: patf

ok i don't have any real info other than the field improvements are in place did not want to continue the hijack of the waco thread

125 added to the runway
existing runway sealed
side transitions reworked
pit area repaved
Looks like an outstanding site but why do all the trees and poles in the first image lean to the right?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
patf

did not notice that! it is our pleasent southerly breeze on the trees, the poles lean the opposite of whatever last hit them!

at least the buildings are relatively straight...
Old 06-17-2004, 01:51 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Pat / Bob-O

so how long is the runway with the improvements?

Buck
Old 06-17-2004, 03:07 PM
patf

about 600' need to measure it now that they are done.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:55 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet is 545 feet long. When I first joined this club, I was told it was 480 long. I never had a problem with the runway (although I've run off it a time or two or three or four), but never any real issues with it.

However, when the issue of extention came up, I was told it was measured at 420. I'd believe that number before the 480, but who knows, I didn't walk it off.

Either way, most pilots that had a pretty good clue on how to land there never had an issue with it. It was more in their mind than in their skill. Reid could land his rhino there any day of the week in a dead calm. But like mike said, why even screw around with it when he's beating everyone down on fuel consumption with the KC.

My guess is that most jets will land on the old runway and use the extention to get themselves lined up to where they should have been landing all along. Time will tell.

Sorry I wasn't available to help more than I did Pat. You clearly did an excellent job. Was the crew I picked a good one? Feel free to rant here or off line if they weren't.

Sean
Old 06-17-2004, 05:13 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Pat,

Looks excellent can't wait to give it a go.

BTW I thought it was 425' originally as well.

DR
Old 06-17-2004, 06:02 PM
bcovish

David, I think you are right.

Anyway, going to give my KingCat a go at the runway. I have been flying it off fullscale runways and Waco (800 ft). I quess I have been intimidated by our shorter runway until now.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:54 PM
patf

I did say "about" 600! we marked of a "favorable" 125 feet for the crew, just to help out! I paced off 130 plus... .. then we knocked a few feet off for the transition. I was basing it on the 450 that I understood the length to be. we did "weed eat" out a few feet on the south end too I will get a new measurement this weekend.

sean the crew did a great job. really worked with us and were patient with all that we threw at them. i think reid has found a new calling. we will do an opening party and invite them back and get them some stick time!
Old 06-18-2004, 04:20 AM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Pat,

The runway extension looks great! You guys now have an awesome facility, comparable to the best anywhere. Am looking forward to bringing the F-16 up there in a few weeks. Its in sick bay right now after a loose pair of set screws holding the nose strut allowed the plane to veer into the tall weeds aside the runway at the Sequin field. Took out the right wing, right stab and all the internals holding them in. Did some pretty good ripping of the fiberglass as well; destroyed Tam's beautiful pipe when the taileron servo parted company with the fuse and jacknifed into the pipe. Lots of work to repair, but the task is now underway.
On a personal note, you know I've been having lots of trouble with my knees after total replacement of both back in September, 2003. I'm now scheduled to have the right patella(kneecap) replaced next week with an artificial one. It seems the new knee pretty much shredded my real patella, thus the need to replace it. Looking forward to being without pain for the first time in months! It may be awhile before I'm back in the game, but I'm anxious to try the NEW field.
Awesome job!

Best regards,
Rob
Old 06-18-2004, 08:47 AM
patf

Rob,

i am sure getting back to chasing that little white ball around is somewhere on the post op agenda as well.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:51 AM
bcovish

Everyone is going to like the new runway extension. Flew jets off it for the first time yesterday. Going out again today. Bring on the F-4's
Old 06-23-2004, 08:46 AM
RPMTech1

Reid could land his rhino there any day of the week in a dead calm.

My guess is that most jets will land on the old runway and use the extention to get themselves lined up to where they should have been landing all along. Time will tell.

Sean

"Rhino"? Do you mean the Isobar? We could get that down on the old runway with 150' or so to spare in dead calm conditions - if you touched down short of the halfway mark. Got a bit more dicey in gusty conditions. Setting down short of the rwy almost always meant bending something so you tended to approach hot.

The extension works great! Landing in the middle of the 125' extension is a breeze and we can now come to a full stop prior to and turn off at the middle taxiway without stressing the binders - leaves us with about a 300' cushion for those not so perfect days.

Extension also aids approach alignment and, as you say, is a considerable psychological advantage. Should reduce the potential for cardiac arrest.

I'm real happy with the new runway and don't think there is much it won't handle now. Even Roger's 40 ton Hellcat without brakes should get stopped well short of the ditch now.

Taking off on a buddy box, however, is apparently a different issue!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:14 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Rhino = F-4 Phantom
Old 06-23-2004, 09:27 AM
patf

the reference was to david reid's rhino. the extension is nice, just don't "try" to use it, i got all goofy trying to put the plane down early just to use the new part of the runway. no bump apparent on a 40 sized aresti...
Old 06-23-2004, 09:37 AM
bcovish

ORIGINAL: RPMTech1

Taking off on a buddy box, however, is apparently a different issue! [:@]

Nice shot Reid, why don't you go ahead and dump the whole box of salt in his wound.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:25 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, I've been down in Disneyworld all last week. I heard about the buddy box incident. I can close my eyes and hear the "God-------" coming out of Rog's mouth.

As Pat said, I was talking about David's F-4.

Everyone knows I can land y'alls Isobar in a ten foot square box with a foot to spare. But maybe not on a Buddy Box!!

Hope to see yall soon. I'm headed to Mexico on Wednesday and be back to Tx sometime next week.

A lifelong friend of my dad's who flew F-4's in Nam was with us on the trip to Disneyworld with his family. First time since high school that I got to sit down and talk to him about his flying stories. Since flying RC turbines this was also the first time I could really understand all that was going on.

By far the funniest story was that he's cruising down the runway on his Second Mission. He's fully loaded at 65k pounds. Actually, I'm gonna start another thread on this. Too good for not all to see.

Sean