Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

PST with different ECU'S?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PST with different ECU'S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:41 PM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PST with different ECU'S?

Can you use different ECU's with different turbines. I would assume it possible. Anyone try it?
PST with jetcat ECU? (i like all the features of the jet cat)

Oh anyone know where you can get a cruise control for a jet? (like the one jetcat has on there ECU?

Lawrence
Old 06-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: PST with different ECU'S?

Hi Lawrence,

In reality, pretty much every engine brand out there can be run with any ECU, so long as the parameters are set to match the application. For example, running a J600 or J600R on a FADEC with MW-54 parameters would probably be a close match. Of coarse you should be aware that PST won't honor the warrantee if something were to go wrong with it and there was evidence of tampering with the electronics.

If the JetCat ECU uses IR RPM detection, you'd also need to modify the bell mouth of the engine to fit the emitter and collector. Some of the very early PST's engines were manufactured like this.

I think you would be better off with the stock TEMS ECU and a stand alone speed limiter. The first one that comes to mind is the minihobby [link=http://www.minihobby.com/electronics/autospeed.htm]'Auto Speed'[/link]. I don't know anyone that's used one so I can't give you any feedback on its operation, but it would protect your warrantee and it looks like it would give you the functionality you're looking for.

Thanks,
Kelly W

PST Jets
North American Tech Support
Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kelly is correct that you can use any ecu for any turbine as long as the parameters are set correctly. However, the written program and thinking process of each ecu are not the same so you will need to experiment. Our warranty cannot be honor if other than TEMS ecu is used. Please evaluate the ecu that you want to use carefully keeping in mind that we have spent a great deal of time and resources in optimizing our TEMS for J600 and J600R turbines. From our R&D, we have also selected Hall Effects rpm sensor (magnetic) over optical IR sensor so you will need modifications to accept the IR sensor.

TEMS programmable function also allows you to limit and set lower max rpm.

Have a good flight.
Kraivuth S.
PST Jets Thailand
Old 06-24-2004, 09:26 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just as a clarification, the JetCat ECUs can use IR or Hall effect (magnetic) RPM sensing.

And as far as I know, the Mini Hobby speed sensor is not a cruise control, but rather a speed limiter. Maybe it has changed.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:21 PM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the input guys! just wondering.

anyone know of a stand alone cruise control?

Lawrence
Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Matt... Its a bit ambiguous in the description but it seems to indicate a max speed control. Weather that's in a cruise control function or not, I don't know.

Never found myself needing one, flying in Canada n' all...

Kelly
Old 06-24-2004, 11:56 PM
mr_matt

Yeah maybe it is just semantics. To me a cruise control is just that, find a speed and hit the switch it holds that speed. This is how I use the speed sensor in my planes. It does a bunch of other stuff too like make the throttle stick a "speed" control lever as opposed to a "thrust" control lever. Andre Baird's ECU may have similar feature.

I think the mini hobby is an adjustable max speed limiter, you set the speed on the ground. But I am not sure.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No Matt, I believe that MiniHobby makes both. I have the high level model that does max speed limit, min speed limit and cruise. They also make a lower model (IIRC) that just limits max speed. I have not used mine for a long time. It can not be well integrated like the JetCat one since I was using it on a TJT. When you combined the extremely rapid ability of the TJT 3000 to change RPM and the MiniHobby unit's quircky behavior when approaching max speed set - it was too exciting for me!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:21 AM
mr_matt

I stand corrected, I did not know he made a new unit.