Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Vought F7U-1 Cutlass

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Vought F7U-1 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vought F7U-1 Cutlass

Does anyone out in RCU land have ANY source for plans or at least some good three views to begin drawing plans on the Vought F7U-1 Cutlass. I recently came across some photos of this plane that I had nearly completely forgotten and realized it would make a GREAT ducted fan (or turbine) project. I have searched the net and so far come up with same standard photos or pics of plastic models (which, if all else fails, I guess I could hunt down a plastic kit to use as the basis for drawing up formers and full size plans). ANYTHING that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated......

randy

F7U-1
Old 07-11-2004, 10:52 PM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Vought F7U-1 Cutlass

Give this a shot.

http://www.vought.com/heritage/html/down.html

David Hudson
www.dcmodelshop.com
Old 07-11-2004, 11:12 PM
bosssman

Thanks David!!

There is some OUTSTANDING info on the Vought aircraft at that site and the line drawings are very appreciated.

Again, thanks!

randy

Old 07-12-2004, 03:02 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

The real downside of this plane so far, is that if the CG is not right on the money, it likes to flat spin in turns.
This size so far has not been great for ducted fan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93228.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	152791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55879.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	152792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47762.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	152793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68861.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	152794  
Old 07-12-2004, 10:04 AM
ShaneUSMC
My Feedback: (1)

Try this link and click on modern warplane. It's in Russian but after you click and scroll down you will see it.

http://www.airwar.ru/other/drawe.html
Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 AM
bosssman

Ronnie,

I am curious about your project you have shown. Is that a kit or plans and what size??? I would tend to think that, like most r/c jets, the bigger the more stable. Any specific info/data either here or PM you could provide on your model would be extremely helpful.

BTW, just the few pics you have shown have increased my desire ten-fold to create one of these!!! Great looking plane!

Randy
Old 07-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Shok

this is a scratch build and the power is the MW-44 turbine.

Actually since that was built we have designed a new plug and the plane comes out with wings and fuse molded as one part. Also the fins are molded and 2 access hatches. It's totally compsite and all up flying weight is around 7 1/2lbs. Wingspan is around 47 inches.

It will be ready to kit in a few more months.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 PM
552transco
My Feedback: (3)

Randy,
Like Shane mentioned this Russian web site has a lot of good stuff. The files are zipped. Sometimes they open and sometimes they don't. It is worth a try. I've downloaded a number of different aircraft B/Ps.
Here is the address for the F7U-1 Cutless.

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/f7u1.html

Good luck,

Wayne
Old 07-13-2004, 07:50 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look up Trevor (RCU-thunderjet) from TN. Trevor has a very large Cutlass which he debuted at TN Jets. Aftertalking to him, the CG problem seems to be a real stickler. He was also having to make some accomadations for the very long nose gear on his bird. His plane is very scale and as I understand it may have been produced from some materials obtained from JetMart USA. I am sure Trevor would be happy to give you some info on his Cutlass, look him up in the member search.
Tommy
Old 07-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Shok

He have had several different sized mock-ups to test the flyability.
The CG has to be right on, if not the plane will instantly snap roll on lift off.
If it doesnt snap, then it will porpose. If it gets slow it will flat spin.
But when you get it right, it is a pretty gentle flyer.
According to some older guys at our club who worked with the real one, this is "typical" behavior.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:17 AM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Not sure if this guy is still around, but check out the link!

http://www.jensenjetmodels.com/id26.htm
Old 07-16-2004, 08:55 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I called the guy at jensen Jets and he has all the models on hold. His main business is the single stick Tx that he is custom making. The only plane that he has anywere near ready is the A-10. The cutlass is pretty far down the list but he did acknowlwedge that when they resume work on the jets they will all be for turbines.
Sparky
Old 11-03-2004, 05:23 AM
rs321

Randy,

Steve Ginter's "Naval Fighters" series includes the F7U. I got a copy of the book just last week through Amazon.com in order to scratch-build a ducted fan model and it has all the information you could possibly need.

Randy St. John
(btw, good name.)
Old 11-03-2004, 04:02 PM
weasel33

This one is in the NAS Pensacola Museum,maybe if you get in touch they can help you.

pm me if you want the large pics

regards
Brian

Name:	Ca80924.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	189570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88241.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	189571  
Old 11-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Look up Trevor (RCU-thunderjet) from TN. Trevor has a very large Cutlass which he debuted at TN Jets. Aftertalking to him, the CG problem seems to be a real stickler. He was also having to make some accomadations for the very long nose gear on his bird. His plane is very scale and as I understand it may have been produced from some materials obtained from JetMart USA. I am sure Trevor would be happy to give you some info on his Cutlass, look him up in the member search.
Tommy

Justin
JJ USA

Name:	Yw66867.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	189587  
Old 11-03-2004, 06:28 PM
rs321

Gents,

The nose gear on the F7U was adjustable by the pilot. At full extension it reached 13' and was used for take offs because the jet technology of the day wasn't growing at the same pace as the designs. I don't recall the minimum length but it doesn't need to be so un-Godly long to remain scale. Again, I recomend Steve Ginter's "Naval Fighters Number Six". It has line drawings and measurements, cutaway drawings of the fuselage, and more details and photos than you'll need. I recently bought my second copy (the first went away somewhere during the last fifteen years) through Amazon.com and I don't remember exactly what it cost because I got several books at the same time, but with shipping it shouldn't be more than $15.

Please keep me posted on your progress because I'm about to jump into the same project. I plan to start with a stick-and-tissue free-flight to test the CG range and to become used to the quirks of the design, and then a 1/12 scale electric D\F to work on the flight characteristics. Should everything go as planned the final version will be a full-house exact scale, but that will be several years down the road.

Randy St. John
(not the same Randy as the original poster.)

[email protected]
Old 11-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Shok

I have been flying ours alot lately.
It's been a ball, very fast and very stable.
It comes in with a bit of power and holds a nice nose high approach.
We are still messing with the CG a little to get it perfect. The gear door molds are finished now as are the inboard wing airbrakes.

We need to get the manual finished up and it will be ready to roll out the door. We plan on flying a few of these at the jet ralleys next season.

Here are a few more pics.
All composite with wings molded on.

Name:	Wt59109.gif
Views:	215
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	189663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86010.gif
Views:	250
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	189664   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26813.gif
Views:	169
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	189665  
Old 11-03-2004, 10:38 PM
rs321

Ronnie,

Nice work! Should I judge the scale of the aircraft by the size of the dog? He-he.

When I was four years old I saw a pair of F7Us flying over MCAS Cherry Point and I've had this weird facination with the aircraft since. I got a bug up my left ear almost two decades ago that it would make a terrific R|C model but we live at 8,000' in the northern Colorado Rockies where the air is so thin I have trouble flying my Hobby Lobby "Skimmer". We are now moving to 4,800' where a project like the Cutlass is feasable.

I like building because it makes me relax, but if you're going to kit a model I'd like to hear about your progress. I am so rusty in every R|C manoever other than the "figure 9" it would likely be a year or so before I'd dare try to fly a jet, but I'm interested in what you're doing with it.

Best wishes with your project!

Randy St. John

[email protected]

(btw - I hope I'm not being presumptuous but as a published Novelist I would be happy to proof your manual once it's written. I understand the lingo and might be able to make it easier to read, and the sole compensation I would ask would be to read the manual because I want to build the same thing and might learn from your experience.)
Old 11-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Shok

sounds good Randy, I'll get you in touch with Tom, he is my partner and the designer of the plane.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:16 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was assigned to the BLUE ANGELS 1952-1954. My Rating was AVIATION STRUCTRUAL MECHANIC. I worked on the F7U1 Cutlass in 1952 for a short time . These two Aircraft were of the fourteen first built.They were a hydraulic nightmare. We left 4" deep drip pans under the wing every night, and they would be almost full. The inspection panel under the wing to the hydraulic unit that operated the Flaperons had almost 50 screws and none of them were of the same length. We had to make a plywood panel with all the screw holes like they were on the A/C panel. As we took the screws out we put them in the corresponding hole on the plywood.If we did not do this it would take hours to get them back on the A/C.If you would like to read a story about these two planes Read a Book called (BLUES ANGELS 50 years of Precision Flight.) On page 34 a Story of the pilot that flew the Cutlasses.I was the painter then and had to mix the Blue Angel Blue paint. The paint was lacquer and the mix was three parts insignia blue to one part insignia white. The yellow was AN yellow. Bob Moore modeler since 1939
Old 11-28-2004, 01:50 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F7U-3 belongs to Delaware Valley Historical aircraft association @ NAS Willow Grove,Pa.......... this bird has a Bad corrosion problem..seems someone left the canopy ajar,water played Havoc,,,Big holes etc, If you need any specific shots let me know
Semper Fi
Joe

Name:	Tr50688.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	197364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89212.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	197365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13333.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	197366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94443.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	197367  
Old 12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Skybouncer
My Feedback: (3)

The 1/6 scale F7 of Trevor's was a joint project between me and him, i finished the molding/tooling and Trevor finished the building and flying.
Trevor has moved onto full-scale aviation and lost interest in the Cutlass, so it is now back in my shop. I'm still debating on what to do with this project.
Most likely it will only be offered as a custom built jet kit, and not a production kit. I don't think their would be enough interest in volume sales to take it to a production status, but who knows, you guys/gals tell me?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
kidflash6

?
ORIGINAL: Skybouncer

The 1/6 scale F7 of Trevor's was a joint project between me and him, i finished the molding/tooling and Trevor finished the building and flying.
Trevor has moved onto full-scale aviation and lost interest in the Cutlass, so it is now back in my shop. I'm still debating on what to do with this project.
Most likely it will only be offered as a custom built jet kit, and not a production kit. I don't think their would be enough interest in volume sales to take it to a production status, but who knows, you guys/gals tell me?
Skybouncer,

I found this thread while looking for info on a F8U Crusader. Awesome bird. By "custom built jet kit", I assume you mean anyone who request to have one built by you? Do you have contact information so that anyone could inquire about pricing for a custom build?

Kidflash6
Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Flyin Hwn

Skybouncer,
Anything more on the Cutlass? Is it ready for sale?

Flying Hwn
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This funny as i never thought jet models of Cutlass will be made, i thought no one would want a model of it as it's very neat yet different bird, i guess i was wrong!. Great to see Ronnie and others have tried on this bird and have made specimens also. Well i am also willing to help anyone who may want to try out with propjet version of Cutlass from Global Quality kits. I have one that i haven't flown as yet, i will soon as i can start walking again!. I have to say it's going to be a very hot flier due to thin and highly swept wing on it. I suppose guy wanting to make turbine version could consider this propjet version to see how it balances and how it handle's in air and on landings.

If anyone want a copy of it's plans, i can for sure try help you out!, , , ,

Name:	Lj22003.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1182557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81044.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1182558  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.