Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Balsa Bandit CG and throws

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Balsa Bandit CG and throws

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 12:37 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Balsa Bandit CG and throws

Guys, help! I have an original Balsa Bandit (not a Super BB) and need the control throws and the CG. The manual says 'reference the plans' and I don't have those with me.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 07-23-2004, 04:26 PM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa Bandit CG and throws

Call BVM they will be happy to help!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Dave,
Here's a good starting point for the CG and control surface throws.
The CG should be set at 8 1/4" from the leading edge, measured on the fuselage at the wing root. This is done with the gear up, and a full UAT. No other fuel should be in the airplane. I like to set the CG with the gear up, as the CG will migrate aft when the nosegear is retracted. This is a very safe position. You can move the CG aft in small increments after you get some time on the airplane. Moving the CG aft of the 8 1/4" position will give you more elevator authority at high density altitudes and lower speeds. I would not advise going aft of the 8 1/2" position. Go an eighth inch at a time.

The rudder should deflect 1 3/8" right and left measured at the top.

The elevator deflection should be set at 1 1/8" up, and 1" down.

Aileron throw should be 9/16" up, and 3/8" down on low rate, measured at the aileron/flap jucture.
High rate can be as much as 1 1/8" up, and 1" down, but this is dealers choice. At these deflections, the roll rate will be phenomonal!
Later, set the aileron deflection to suit.

Flap deflection should be 15 degrees for take-off, and 45 degrees for landing. Send me your address, and I'll copy the flap deflection template from the plans and mail it to you.

Hope this is helpful.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
Team JetCat
Old 07-24-2004, 09:21 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Harley, thanks for the info! Diceman, BVM has always been great, but I'm in Korea, so calling is difficult at best. Thanks again guys

Dave
Old 07-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Just a tip Dave....on the elevator, most guys use all they can get on up elevator.....1 1/8" is about perfect for routine flying with about 25-30% expo, but if you ever have to land early, like after a F/O or some radio problem, as all the fuel on Bandits is in front of the CG, to have enough to flare smoothly, the more up the better......I was able to get about 1 3/8" on my current compo Bandit...can't get much more than that due to the very tight hinging BV uses with not allot of bevel.....I set that for high rate and use 1 1/8" on mid rate for routine flying....and use 7/8" on low rate for slow and point rolls.....seems to smooth them out for me......

Tom