Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba Gyro?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba Gyro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:49 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Gyro?

Does anyone know if the AVCS mode on a Futuba Gyro is tail lock mode? I use Futaba GY 601 Gyros on my helis but always set them up with tail lock. I have a GYA350 to replace a JR 600T in my Kingcat. JR needs to get off the stick with the new 500A gyros.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Futaba Gyro?

David,

AVCS is like heading hold. It will deflect the rudder to oppose a turn until the aircraft returns to the original heading.

The gain on my bobcat is setup on a knob then mixed to the gear switch, as long as the knob is in the correct position the AVCS never turns on and I have full gain with the gear down and zero gain with the gear up. I accidentally took off with the knob set in the wrong place one time and had the AVCS turn on as soon as I raised the gear. I found out that it is possible to fly a Bobcat sideways, but just barely.
That knob has been part of my pre-flight ever since.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:26 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, ACVS is heading hold ... if you have a remote gain on your gyro, then 50% travel on your gain channel is gyro-off ... 50 - 100% travel on TX s 0 - 100% ACVS mode gain, and 50 - 0% travel on TX is 0 - 100 non heading hold gain .... i thin around 40 - 50% non heading hold gain is good on jets for take off / landing , and drop to below 15 with gear up .. the GY240 has no gain channel, and a switch selects ACVS or non on the gyro, and there is a nob to fix gain on the gyro also ..

Futaba hs some really cool aircraft gyros .. like the dual axis one of the spit servo single axis , etc .. I have used all of these in diferent combinations and configurations, on jets and helis .... you can really have fun with these .. (im puting the dual axis gyto on the 4 way thrust vectoring pipe ...... want to see if my rookie will climb out like a rocket ship )

Wojtek
Old 09-04-2004, 12:41 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI

The new JR 500A gyros are available now unless they are out of stock already. The hobby shop I deal with has them in stock and David will have one waiting for him when he arrives at the SW.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:52 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Woj, what's the status of that Rookie Gyromobile? Maiden coming anytime soon? I thought I saw pics of it nearly complete.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:51 PM
r degen

The 500A are in stock at Horizon I just got one Wednesday I only had to wait about 4 months. Randy
Old 09-04-2004, 09:30 PM
DavidR

I will have two of the 500A gyros in my hands shortly. I remember the AVCS on my heli gyros am I correct in saying that the gain goes from 50-100 on the ATV is in AVCS mode, and 50-0 is rate mode, zero being 100% gain in rate mode? And 100% being 100% in AVCS mode, 50% atv is zero?

DR
Old 09-04-2004, 09:38 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Does anyone know if the AVCS mode on a Futuba Gyro is tail lock mode? I use Futaba GY 601 Gyros on my helis but always set them up with tail lock. I have a GYA350 to replace a JR 600T in my Kingcat. JR needs to get off the stick with the new 500A gyros.
With the 601 you can turn the heading hold off in the set up, no amount of remote gain will turn it back on. The 601 has 3 modes it can be set for: heading hold always (AVCS), remote switchable from AVCS to NORMAL, and NORMAL only. I have a 601 in my Fury (helicopter).
Old 09-04-2004, 10:22 PM
DavidR

I'm just more than a little curious why Futaba markets this gyro for airplane applications but includes heading hold settings in it. It does not really make sense for airplane applications.

Steven, I use the 601 on my fury as well.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:51 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

David, .. doyou have any aerobatic 3d planes ? if you use heading hold on the rudder and elevator, it makes hovering virtually hands off .. a great way for the beginer inexperienced 3d pilot to cheat and look good .. i experimented on a pattern plane with a dual axix HH gyro set up, and managed to keep that in a hover .... i did take it out eventually as i like to feel the plane fly .. sometimes too much gain makes you feel like you are not actually in controll of the aircraft ...

Wojtek
Old 09-06-2004, 12:37 AM
DavidR

doyou have any aerobatic 3d planes
Nope, I have maybe three non jet planes, and don't fly them.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:11 AM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

The 401, 502 and 601 will work in airplanes, however their best applications are for helicopters. The 350 or 351 are your bet bets for aircraft use.

Here are the secrets behind GY Series gyros: SMM (Silicon Micro Machine)
Essentially, it's micro-machining mechanical parts and systems right on a silicon chip a first in the hobby industry. This results in unprecedented levels of functionality, reliability and sophistication.

AVCS (Active Angular Velocity Control System)
This feature is the equivalent of heading hold, except that it utilizes a gyro sensor that's more accurate and less susceptible to vibration than conventional piezo gyros. It continually sends control signals to the servo , even when the tail is not moving, for extremely low temperature drift and more positive control for hovering and flying in crosswinds.

GY240
Ideal for electrics and 30-size machines
Single-gain adjustable trim, with 70Hz operation
Measures 1" x 1" x .8" (27x27x20mm), and weighs just 0.05 oz (25g)
GY240 Manual
Stock Number: FUTM0809
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GY401
Delivers high performance for 30- to 60-size helis
Has remote gain feature and transmitter-controled switching to AVCS
Operation is almost 4 times faster (270Hz) than conventional gyros
Measures 1" x 1" x .8" (27x27x20mm), and weighs 0.06 oz (27g)
GY401 Manual
Stock Numbers:
FUTM0804 GY401 w/S9253 Servo
FUTM0807 GY401
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GY502
Designed to improve flying capabilities for 60-size models
Features a separate sensor and control amplifier
High-speed operation (270Hz)
Has remote gain feature, transmitter-controled switching to AVCS, and an LCD screen for more precise setting
GY502 Manual
Stock Numbers:
FUTM0813 GY502
FUTM0814 GY502 Gyro w/S9253 Servo
GY601 w/S9251
THE gyro for F3C heli pilots
Offers high speed with a narrow pulse width, making it an excellent choice for the precision pattern flier
The included S9251 digital servo is designed specifically for this gyro, with a speed of 0.07 seconds at 60° and 38.9 oz-in of torque
GY601 Manual
Stock Number: FUTM0820
[code]GYA-350 A/C
Single servo, single axis gyro keeps the rudder, aileron or elevator aligned perfectly with the airplane at all times for better control.
Stock Number:FUTM0816

GYA-351 A/C
Designed for applications requiring 2-servo input and 2-servo output ON A SINGLE AXIS such as dual ailerons, flaperons, twin elevator servos, etc. Dampens oscillations to help the plane maintain a constant heading.
Stock Number: FUTM0817 [/code
]