Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Superman 2004 event coverage and pictures

I don't think you can get thesame power output on a bifurcated pipe. That size plane should have been set up for a twin 28Lbs or up at least or build it light. This is just my own opinon. The jet look awesome though and I would love to have one of them. Skip are you listening?.

EdLo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know I'm gonna get flames, but (being honest) I didn't think it looked good at all in the air. I thought it looked well underpowered @ 55 lbs and it did not have that "locked in" look in the turns. It seemed to dance around quite a bit. Both landings were hairy ... the first of which did damage to the gear (I believe) after fighting through the porpoising and the 2nd was hard as well. The approaches didn't have that nose high, stable glide path. It was more of a point the nose toward the ground so it doesn't get slow and hold on type of approach.

Louis did a great job of flying it ... in lesser hands it may not have come out so well. I wouldn't have wanted to be on the sticks when that big bug started porpoising on approach! I'm not knocking CJM either ... I just think that they have some more homework to do. It's not a fly it 3 or 4 times a day plane at this point ... I hope that they continue to improve it as I am all for these larger, more realistic jets.

So ... I'm now ready for the flames, please extinguish when finished! <grin>

JS
    Jamie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I totally agree with you Eddie, I would like to have one myself. I bet most of the weight probably comes from the scale struts which are very nice I thought. Lewis mentioned it only had 5 flights as of Saturday and I believe the plane was still in its early R&D stage. They will make the necessary changes and it will fly well and with authority in due time I'm sure.

Brandon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The aircraft has plenty of power. I was only flying 1/2 to 1/3 power most of the flight. Sunday it was clocked at 167, and I was only teasing it. During continued testing, speed will be increased to full power.
    The General-Jet Central,Team Horizon Hobby,Fly Eagle Jets,Robart,\"Jets Over Kentucky week\", ElectroDynamics,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was only half power.
    The General-Jet Central,Team Horizon Hobby,Fly Eagle Jets,Robart,\"Jets Over Kentucky week\", ElectroDynamics,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Big F-18 flew very well Sunday. I have already found ways to save at least another pound.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Food for thought.
    At least two manufacturers of jets had problems at Superman. It seems this would be the LAST venue manufacturers would use for test flying new jets. Even if it isn't the first flight. I'd hate to see potentially good planes get a bad reputation. Isn't the business competitive enough as is? Not to mention safety issues.

Imagine new or even old turbine jet customers seeing the real experts having problems. How will this affect the consumers anticipation of their own first test flights on that model? We have to expect success on our own test flights given the investment.

I, and I'm sure others, were ripe with anticipation of seeing certain models for the first time. But then the only one there crashes on the first flight, or has serious handling problems. At least have a second one there that is flyable so we can continue to asses its value.

Regardless, I want to thank all of you manufacturers for making the effort to supply us with jets, engines, and accessories. Without you, we'd have a whole lot harder time flying, and would not likely be able to at all. Just do yourself a favor and show up at a meet (especially the biggest meet in the country) with your products as polished as possible. I understand accidents happen. Stack the deck in your favor. Your work may not deserve the bad press it might get.

Cheers,
    CJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jeteye

The aircraft has plenty of power. I was only flying 1/2 to 1/3 power most of the flight. Sunday it was clocked at 167, and I was only teasing it. During continued testing, speed will be increased to full power.
    Hmmmmmm..... is this Louis? Welcome abord my friend!
    .....ghost_rider....out....
    AMA 9119
    β€œBeware of your so called friends because you know your enemies”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CopterCJ

Food for thought.
    ....... It seems this would be the LAST venue manufacturers would use for test flying new jets. Even if it isn't the first flight. I'd hate to see potentially good planes get a bad reputation. Isn't the business competitive enough as is? Not to mention safety issues.

Imagine new or even old turbine jet customers seeing the real experts having problems. How will this affect the consumers anticipation of their own first test flights on that model? We have to expect success on our own test flights given the investment.

I, and I'm sure others, were ripe with anticipation of seeing certain models for the first time. But then the only one there crashes on the first flight, or has serious handling problems. At least have a second one there that is flyable so we can continue to asses its value.

Just do yourself a favor and show up at a meet (especially the biggest meet in the country) with your products as polished as possible. I understand accidents happen. Stack the deck in your favor. Your work may not deserve the bad press it might get.

Cheers,
    CJ
    The truth hurts but sometimes you have to tell it. I agree with you 100%.
    .....ghost_rider....out....
    AMA 9119
    β€œBeware of your so called friends because you know your enemies”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62475.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	180888  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	Yv66329.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	180894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26323.jpg 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	180895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68504.jpg 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	180896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75490.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	180897  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Walmart put my pictures on CD upside down so sorry for the extra post will try again later.
    [:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree re CJM using us, the fliers as testing grounds.
    I purchased the Talon and it was 5Lbs overweight as a kit and by the time it was done, to get the CG right a lot of nose weight was needed.

After discussions it turns out that this was a prototype (and I was not told this) and that they will be producing lighter version but it is too late for me.

I hate it when my investment of $2200 in the complete kit (with retracts, wheels and brakes and bypass) is a testing ground.

I will never buy or support CJM.
    Peter A
    Altecare RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First of all the F-18 did not do any test flying at the superman, it had several flights on it before then. Second there were only two Talons that were prototype and you did not get one. Keith Yeats and Dean Di Giorgio have them not you. The Superman used to have a time put aside for new planes to be tested. That could not have been the first time a new plan has been flown there for the first time! If the engine is in the rear of the plane I would think I would need lead in the nose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CJ if you are reffering the the large F-18, then I have three letters for you ANK.

Same molds same plane much more lighter version, more scale with much better landing gear. Four of the original prototypes have flown for about 4 years, so I would not call that plane "NEW", just better.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: CopterCJ

Food for thought.
    At least two manufacturers of jets had problems at Superman. It seems this would be the LAST venue manufacturers would use for test flying new jets. Even if it isn't the first flight. I'd hate to see potentially good planes get a bad reputation. Isn't the business competitive enough as is? Not to mention safety issues.

Regardless, I want to thank all of you manufacturers for making the effort to supply us with jets, engines, and accessories. Without you, we'd have a whole lot harder time flying, and would not likely be able to at all. Just do yourself a favor and show up at a meet (especially the biggest meet in the country) with your products as polished as possible. I understand accidents happen. Stack the deck in your favor. Your work may not deserve the bad press it might get.

Cheers,
    CJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	Ay76011.jpg 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	181236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm38716.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	181237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65313.jpg 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	181238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47103.jpg 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	181239  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The large F-18 that flew at Superman is a plane design owned by my friend Skip Medely and those were not the first flights at Superman. How do I know this? Skip is a good friend and consults me from time to time and I just spoke to him last night on the phone about the test flights that took place before Superman. Yes, it is the ANK molds for the outside skins but all new internals and landing gear that CJM is manufacturing for him. I don't know the business arrangement between them ( CJM and Skip) as to who will be selling the kits as that is their business; but I do know that Skip is heavily involved and I will be taking a look at weight reduction for him soon since he has a kit now here back at MD for me to look over and see if I can suggest places for weight reduction so that the scale guys can load it back on with detailing. Sooner or later you have to fly at events to sell planes and all of the manufactures have had issues at events,( kits and engines )so when is enough testing enough before you show people that it flies?
    I use my real name and am not sponsored by anyone but myself

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To the point of CJM Talon, the early "production" kits were out of the same molds as the prototypes. While the one EICAS bought may not have been a "prototype" it and others were quite heavy. I suppose this is part of the learning curve. I am anxiously awaiting my new TALON which is molded using their newer composite, honeycomb technology. Isn't it amazing that no one notices the revised kits from BVM. Everyone makes improvements where they can, when they see them.

Roger Shook
    CJM Talon heatshield manufacturer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So let's see this gear. If no pics were taken at Superman, then whoever is currently in posession needs to go out to the garage or shop, take some pics and post them here immediately. Is it the design/functionality that was impressive, or are they all scaled up with detail?
    Thanks!
    Yeah, I use mixing... Balsa & Dirt. ©

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will try to get ahold of Skip to get pictures of the gear for all to see.
    I use my real name and am not sponsored by anyone but myself

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is the New AeroWorks Prototype ARF that will be coming out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys

Check out the Air Show In Israel

http://www.jetclub.co.il/arava_air_show_2005.htm

The site is not finished but I promise I will finish it soon
    Mark A Blau
    Jet Club Israel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is Old but it needs to be said

The new CJM F18 SuperHornet is in no way underpowered and for those that make comments like that should think twice from now on.

I have personally witnessed this Jet fly in 90 degree plus temps with high humidity and it rips with authority.

The plane is like most CJM products which means built like a tank. I plan on building a twin engine Titan version of this machine in the very near future.

Ian
    RCU Moderator
    Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast