Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Are prices of kits getting to high?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
59.59%
no
15.07%
some to high for what you get
25.34%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Are prices of kits getting to high?

Old 09-27-2004, 11:25 AM
planecrazy274614

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are prices of kits getting to high?

Has the ever rising cost of jet kits priced you out of getting a new kit for this winter to build?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:47 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Are prices of kits getting to high?

Hi,
Yes.
I hoping that the new BVM F-86 would fall into a range that I can afford, since you have to build the wing and I thought it might reduce the price of the kit some, but alas, it's another $7000+ kit.
Oh well, it was nice to dream for awhile.
BRG,
Jon
Old 09-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah ... percentage-wise, how much has the price of a given jet kit increased in the last 2 years ? Now ask yourself - percentage-wise, how much has a gallon of gas increased in the last 2 years ?

If anyone is to blame for me not buying lots of new toys, it's the people whose policies shape the economy, not the people trying to make a living selling kits.

Gordon
Old 09-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Falcon 64

I have tried to get a estimated prize for the F-16 and Mirage 2000 from Skymaster.
But no reply on the prize, only the kit itselves.
But can someone dare to suggest the level for these two?
F-16 included scale gear, wich was claimed to be cheaper then the Matrix. Same with the Mirage,- with gear.
But I agree, the level is way too high on several manufacturers.
I hope the Skymaster can remain a serious quality manufacturer at low cost, as this will force the rest to think twice.

Regards

Gudmund
Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Glorfindel

I'm wondering how BVM can keep selling high end kit ($$$), with competitor like C-ARF or Skymaster. They should hurt him a lot by now...When only 2-3 decent buisness will survive, the price will be higher...
Old 09-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Falcon 64

The Skymaster came because of the need for it. Once (and if) they too will find them selves in the upper prizelevel, there will come another newcomers instead.
Hopefully they know that.

Gudmund
Old 09-27-2004, 12:35 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Glorfindel

I'm wondering how BVM can keep selling high end kit ($$$), with competitor like C-ARF or Skymaster. They should hurt him a lot by now...When only 2-3 decent buisness will survive, the price will be higher...
I was just wondering that myself when I went and looked at the price of his new composite bobcat. The plane alone is 2K and when you add in the rest of the gear it is about 1K cheaper than a kingcat. I also noticed that in his jetkit section he no longer has the regular bobcat listed as well. Does this mean that if you want another bobcat you HAVE to buy the composite one? I know I will probably get something like, "If you have to ask you can't afford it." or "Quit complaining about the price."

I truly hope that skymaster comes out with a large sport jet to compete with the kingcat or a smaller one to compete with the bobcat. Maybe if they took a share of that market then that would make them stand up and take notice.

Patrick

just my .000002 worth.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:49 PM
ShaneUSMC
My Feedback: (1)

He continues to sell because of reputation and product development. There is no doubt he makes a great looking and flying aircraft. I would love to have one, but either his prices have to come down or I need a major pay raise before that will happen. BVM is on the high end, but Skymaster is trying to give the best of both worlds, great kit at a great price.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:26 PM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

I had hoped that the new composite Bobcat was going to compete price wise with skymaster but what a shock when i saw the price! I was really looking forward to putting one together this winter but just can't justify the price. There is too much other stuff out there to pay that kind of money, especially when it really isn't a whole lot cheaper than the kingcat. Just bummed cause i can't afford one i guess! I agree, i hope skymaster can come up with a nice sport jet for a reasonable price, i like their airplanes and their prices!!
Old 09-27-2004, 02:09 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

On the other hand, look how many kits Skymaster has to sell vs BVM to be profitable. With BVM, your buying the name and quality that comes from BV putting his name behind the product.

If someone was to offer you a BVM or Skymaster kit, which one would you take? I won't post the answer because I think we all know what we would take. That is why the price difference is such.

JR Gautreaux
Old 09-27-2004, 02:24 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I will take the one with lower maintenance costs, lower parts count, more compatible with parts I can find at the local HS.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:31 PM
MMallory

Simple supply and demand as far as pricing goes. Comparing ARF's is simply personal preference. If you want to build, your choices are becoming limited.

The good news is, if you want BVM and money is tight, the "used" market is decent. Most people who own BVM stuff take the time to build it properly.
More good news is the Skymaster kits, although scale, make excellent sport jets.

All in all, this is a great time in history for model jets.

Mark M.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:38 PM
sirrom

ORIGINAL: jetflyer

On the other hand, look how many kits Skymaster has to sell vs BVM to be profitable. With BVM, your buying the name and quality that comes from BV putting his name behind the product.

If someone was to offer you a BVM or Skymaster kit, which one would you take? I won't post the answer because I think we all know what we would take. That is why the price difference is such.

JR Gautreaux
Well I don't think skymaster has to sell that many kits to be profitable as BV. Why do you think so many manufacturers are going overseas now? Cheaper labor is the reason why. They can make the same product overseas for less and sell it here in the US for a much larger profit because of a cheaper production cost. I got to put hands on a skymaster F15 and the quality of that airplane is exceptional. Good heavy fiberglass and good solid construction. If they were pieces of crap I don't think so many of them would have sold here. I don't understand why everyone thinks that just because it has BV on it that the model is fool proof. It's not, look at the bobcat versus the new composite. Why didn't the original come with flaps an a single elevator servo? If nothing was wrong with the bobcat why isn't the composit version identical to the original without flaps and with a split elevator?

Patrick
Old 09-27-2004, 02:44 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: MMallory

The good news is, if you want BVM and money is tight, the "used" market is decent. Most people who own BVM stuff take the time to build it properly.
Mark M.
100% behind you. Im the happiest 3rd hand BVM owner there is.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:50 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

I thought the original post asked “Has the ever rising cost of jet kits priced you out of getting a new kit for this winter to build?â€

How did it all of a sudden deteriorate to BVM this and BVM that?

You guys are here making much ado over nothing while the man is GTBLHAS (Going To the Bank Laughing His ***** Off)
Old 09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
sirrom

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

I thought the original post asked “Has the ever rising cost of jet kits priced you out of getting a new kit for this winter to build?â€

How did it all of a sudden deteriorate to BVM this and BVM that?

You guys are here making much ado over nothing while the man is GTBLHAS (Going To the Bank Laughing His ***** Off)
Ghostrider,
To put it simply, BV is the standard at which all other jet models are judged. Plain and simple. When you talk about prices/quality of kits. Everyone judges every other manufacturer by BV standards. He is the bar and I agree, he is going to the bank laughing his ass off.

Patrick.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: sirrom

Ghostrider,
To put it simply, BV is the standard at which all other jet models are judged. Plain and simple. When you talk about prices/quality of kits. Everyone judges every other manufacturer by BV standards. He is the bar and I agree, he is going to the bank laughing his ass off.

Patrick.
Patrick

I understand what you are trying to explain but doing so is like judging the price of YUGO with that of H2. If you want to drive a YUGO….go for it but if you want to drive H2, then get ready to pay $$$,$$$.$$$. JMOHO
Old 09-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

comp-arf discontinued the Kangaroo at 444.00

lets see what BV will sell the BOBcomp-arfCAT for...
Old 09-27-2004, 03:42 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

comp-arf discontinued the Kangaroo at 444.00

lets see what BV will sell the BOBcomp-arfCAT for...
You mean the Bob-O-Roo..... My guess is you will see alot more moderatly priced ARFS coming from Uncle Bob in the next few years.... Tams 18 is just the start....
Old 09-27-2004, 03:45 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

This is moderately priced?

Pricing :
A BobCat Composite includes the following:

ARF all composite airframe with flex hinged control surfaces.
All hardware and control linkages.
Radio component installation mountings for servos, receiver, batteries, etc. - modeler supplies the screws.
The BobCat undercarraige including (3) retract units, struts, wheels/brakes, air selector valve, T-fittings, H.D. air tubing, air storage tanks, air micro switch brake valve and hardware for mounting.
BobCat fuel tank system includes: 2 Kevlar tanks and hardware (assembly with Aeropoxy required), (1) Sullivan BT 16oz tank with BVM aluminum cap system, (1) U.A.T., T-fittings, overflow fitting and fuel tubing. Capacity = 2.5 Liters.
Plain white model - $3,195.00 Painted-in-the-mold - $3,695.00

BobCat Composite - Airframe only pricing -

Plain white model - $1,995.00 Painted-in-the-mold - $2,495.00
Old 09-27-2004, 03:57 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Absolutly not Gary.....! I do believe you will see some in the future coming from BVM.... My guess is Bob will need to in order to compete with companies like Skymaster. Personally, I dont believe Bob makes a "Fortune" off his kits (made in USA). I'd venture to guess his profit margin not much larger than Skymasters!
Old 09-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Andy_S_T

The Kingcat is made in the Comp ARF factory and that ain't in the US.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:54 PM
MMallory

To answer the original question, no.

The price of the modern day ARF is much less than the price kit's were just a few years ago. Obviously you must compare like companies. Add to that most of the construction and painting is done for you and these prices are really low (unless your time isn't worth much to you).

The problem with these ARF's is you spend the entire purchase price all at once. Many modelers used to buy bits and pieces so they never really paid much attention to the final price.

Mark
Old 09-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Problem is there aint enough of you jet boyz yet to make the break even point go way down, give it time.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I don't think the price's are that high with most manufactures with what you get. I just think that the price is what the market will bear and if enough guys stop buying the price won't go down the business's that make the kits that are expensive for what you get or unpopular will go away. I had to cancel my BVM 80"sabre today and not go to Superman this year because of the wife losing her job two weeks ago and we need 7k more for house money than toy's right now since I have 2 ready to fly jets and over a dozen kits to build. I think that all BVM products are a good value since I don't have to do any engineering when I get one, I have had several other companies kits where the time wasted making systems work far outweighs the difference in $.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.