Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Clear Coat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:06 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clear Coat

Hmmmm, Not good! Thought I was safe (according to the guys at the paint shop )...... Isnt that just ducky []

Well, since I was just getting ready to paint this week..... I need a solution. Fresh air is the only way to go, bought this off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Guess you cant do EBAY here huh..... search item #4328218892

Shoould be safe now along with my zoot suit [sm=bananahead.gif]

Need to live long enough to paint my kids jets

Todd
Old 10-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Guys,
Take a look at this paint as an option instead of iso-cyanate content: www.klasskote.com

Dave Platt and I (like I matter ;-)) ) both recommend it. It is exactly like using the old K&B Superpoxy or Hobbypoxy, except it flows so much better and it mixes easier, but it does require a short time to allow the catalytic reaction to begin. I'm sure no expert but I loved using it and the clear was exactly that, CLEAR not yellow! It mixes with both K&B and Hobbypoxy if you still have any laying around and the catalyst will work perfectly well with them too! Lastly their service was exceptional... gee I should get commissions!

Anyway it worked great for me! If I could figure out how to post a picture here, I would add one of the plane I painted with KlassKote...

Len
Old 10-04-2004, 09:15 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have also heard very good stuff about klasscoat, not so good things about Nelson, none of it first hand.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

The Nelson paint is definately different. It does NOT spray like two part auto paint, you need to use more and lighter coats. Once past that the results for me have been good. Some tips I've figured out:

Hard to spray inside corners like landing gear wells, inlets and control surface pockets are best done with two or 3 coats applied with a brush first, then your normal spray pattern will cover the brush marks if any but not build up and run.

Thinner -one to two caps of water to 4 ounces of paint depending on the color works well in my HVLP gun.

The first coat looks really bad, initially it looks OK then the surface tension of the water base breaks down and it gets very blotchy. The second coat doesn't do that. A professional auto painter in my club was looking over my finished wing panel and when I mentioned it was Nelson paitn he asked if I had any problem with fisheyes? It turned out he had tried the stuff - sprayed one coat and when it turned blotchy he wiped it off. Sprayed another coat and the same thing happened - threw the paint in the trash. It isn't like 2 part paint, it's a little different.

I;ve heard good things about Klasscoat too. However, that is also pretty nasty stuff - use a mask...
Old 10-18-2004, 10:17 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I used Nelson Clear Coat and it sucks!! Well not completely.

First of all, it was a pain in the behind to find the correct thinning, pressure, gun combination. I ended up airbrushing because my gun was not yeilding good results. This paint runs easily, so it makes it very hard to get an even, smooth glossy finish. Several light mist coats will not provide a smooth glossy surface. I sprayed only the first three layers very lightly.

After waisting 1/2 pint figuring out the correct combination, I ended up with an "as best as possible" finish, The clear coat dries very hard, which is a plus, and seems very durable and fuel proof. However it is no automotive finish. It is not as glossy, and it leaves a little bit of orange peel. It is also very hard to sand once it cures, but I find that feature to be good.

Next time Im buying some Dupont clear coat and let a professional lay it out for me. Im not painting anymore at my house.

Oh yeah, at least the Nelson stuff is very easy to clean. Just need water.

David
Old 10-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

Frank Tiano mentioned Klasskote in his R/C Report column. He had good things to say. He mentioned a possible follow-on article coming in R/C Report.

We do need a good hobby paint. I hope it works out.
CJ
Old 10-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

Did my Eagle all in Omni reducing the clear 200% Works great over Aeroloft transfers. No runs no drips---well maybe a couple drips on the floor and no errors. All for about $100 Bucks.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43756.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	184053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50318.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	184054  
Old 10-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

WHOA..... DAVID!!!!!

Do NOT and I repeat, DO NOT Paint without a respirator!!! You got a death wish? You can get yourself a good 3M disposable one for about 22.00 at the paint store. Good for about 3 full paint jobs. Heck, if you dont have the cash for one.... I'll send you one of my slightly used ones for free. Whatever you do, DONT PAINT WITHOUT ONE!!!! If you need one of mine, email me your address and I get it sent out.
Todd
Since you're giving away free stuff, I'm in need of a few things from your store.