Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SUPER REAPER MAIDEN FLIGHT SOON NEED ADVISES

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SUPER REAPER MAIDEN FLIGHT SOON NEED ADVISES

Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Knock
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SUPER REAPER MAIDEN FLIGHT SOON NEED ADVISES

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Wayne 22 This is my gear setup . Sierra precision on the nose ....too expensive when needs repair . Intairco wheels on the mains....dig into the grass too narrow and hard. The main gear is too low , I tried to PM this pic but file was too big .I also have a TJT 3000 in my Reaper . Where do you get your TJT 3000 serviced ?
Cool! I didn't know there were any other TJT powered Reapers out there!!! I have a couple of friends in Vancouver who know these engines inside out. I answered your PM about the landing gear...
Here is what happened to the stock landing gear after hitting the gopher hole on take off...
I had some trouble with my TJT 3000......took seven months to get a working ECU.......that was about 4 years ago.......I am a little reluctant to send my TJT to Australia for service . Do they still make this engine ?

You seem to have a hybrid wheel.....looks like a foam wheel with brakes spliced in . I looked on the DuBro website for the fiberglass gear but did not see a good replacement ........do you recall the mod no. or size . I really like the Snowbird scheme . Thinking about it I think my aluminum gear came from Houston Hobbies .
Old 12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: siddus74

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

As long as you do not use high end Digital servo's that Powerbox will be OK, JR8711's can pull 4.6Amps each so the limit would be the powerbox if you went that way, you would also have the problem of the possible low voltage drop out of the Spektrum Rx, you pays your monies and take's your..............etc:
Mike, yeah the amperage requires some thought . . . the Gemini can supply 10amps which I feel should be adequate . . my chosen servos are listed below

Futaba S3010 Elevator x1
Futaba S9202 Ailerons x2
Futaba S3001 Rudders x2
TPro S5010MG Flap x1

I dont think they wil top 10 amps do you? I may wire some thing up to tray and rest potential current draw . . . I stumbled accross some spectrum documentation that gave example of a 33% Sukhoi with 7 x JR8611s installed (that set up drew a maximum of 6.9amps) see the picture and the attachment for further details . . . quite interesting - what do you think?
What can you say, that set up only peaked at 6.9amps as you say, Quique's Python peaked sufficiently to put the battery he was using below 3.7volts and the Rx switched itself off, this is what happens with Spektrum, they did not fix the problem they just modified the Rx so it switches back on faster??????????? if you are happy with that then so be it, but do make sure you have a good capacity battery system.

Mike
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Wayne22

I had some trouble with my TJT 3000......took seven months to get a working ECU.......that was about 4 years ago.......I am a little reluctant to send my TJT to Australia for service . Do they still make this engine ?

You seem to have a hybrid wheel.....looks like a foam wheel with brakes spliced in . I looked on the DuBro website for the fiberglass gear but did not see a good replacement ........do you recall the mod no. or size . I really like the Snowbird scheme . Thinking about it I think my aluminum gear came from Houston Hobbies .
That engine has resurfaced in a manner of speaking as the Black Mamba - both are derived from the JG-100 . I hope to have the Reaper flying again next summer....

Those are the unibrakes that you see in the picture - bad idea, they didn't work. Those were replaced with proper jet wheels and brakes. I looked at the Dubro strut today, and it is a bit smaller than the Klett unit... However with the proliferation of giant scale aerobatic planes there is lots of aluminum or carbon fiber landing gear that could be adapted...

Here is a pic of it on a landing approach with its new wheels...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35192.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1335922  
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 AM
siddus74

ORIGINAL: alasdair

I can't remember what servos I used in the Boomerang. Certainly not digital, may have been high torque Hitec 625 or TP 5010, I just fit and forget, and sold it 130 flights later.

For the Spektrum radio (fitted in my JayTee) I started with a 5 cell AA high capacity battery but soon switched to a 5 cell 1400 mAh high current battery (I think the cells are 2/3 subC or similar) when I learned about 'brownout'. The high capacity NiMH AA cells have a high internal resistance and the voltage sags under load. With ''quickconnect'' receiver and a fade counter if possible it is not a problem.
Al,

As per email > I have some Futaba S9202 and S3010 but they all seem to show play when fitted due the larger horn length. Bizarrely I have some Tower Pro SG5010 with a massive 6K of toque @ 6v and they show no play at all! Can I really fit cheap Chinese Tower pro servos to a turbine? I was going to put a battery baker in any case, I have 3 xS9252 servos as well but they can only run @ 4.8v which is a real shame as there are fantastic servos of great specs.

I am very undecided . . .

Any adice wold be great.

Scott.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 AM
BaldEagel

Scott

Keep asking eventually you get the answer you want.

If you are going to use a battery backer, why not get one that regulates the voltage too 5volts as well then you can use the 9202's, I think I used to use those in my Helio's in the dim distant past, when assesing play have the servo's attached to the Rx and switched on, its supprising how much play disapears when the power is going through. If you do decied to go with something else, have a look at the Hitec 5625 & 5645 MG's or the equivilant in Hitec, they keep updating them, they are fully programmable from a cheap little unit that plugs into a PC, even a fail safe position can be memorized into the individual servo's.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Sonicwings

Wayne22, Hi,

I like the pic you posted here, do you have more of your Reaper to share please ???

siddus74, Hi,

Futaba servos, and 4.8volts,
I have a set of 9255, top heli servos as listed by futaba, came with a 12fg set i bought last year, now i to was worried about the voltage, as im going to run them in my new PST Reaction, on a Powerbox Gemini, at 5.9volts... Have been told that its not a problem, by Powerbox, and Intairco in Australia... Also going to use 9252, and 9202 servos in the same setup...
I think one point to mention, is the voltage thru the Powerbox set, doesnt exceed 6volts, where as a 6volt pack, off charge will got to near 7volts...

Hope this helps you...

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:39 AM
siddus74

Scott

Keep asking eventually you get the answer you want.

Mike
LMAO I know . . . Just got to keep asking!

I think I am going to run with the 3 x S9252's on the ailerons and the elevator and use and a Fromeco Sahara Regulator set to 5.1v, the heli boys use these bad boys all the time and they dont have any issues with them . . . I battery backer would be nice but I dont think essential. The BMFA regulations say that the backer is a personal thing. If it was an 8K scale number with a 160 jet cat then yeah, but the entire model was only a grand . . .

The regulator and battery will cost about £90 this protects the servos and protects against the spektrum brown out issues . . .

The guy from Real Raptors say they have excellent history and never come back.

As you say you pay your money and take your chance, putting £8 servos on the critical controls is a no no for me.

Thanks again,

Scott.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Sonicwings

siddus74

Great, good you found a solution your happy with, i just had a look at the Sahara reg, yes looks good, and sounds like a good match with what your wanting to run...

BaldEagel,

How have you found the Reaper to build/assemble ???
How big is the box its shipped in ???
I to am looking for a cheeper, Hack jet to build, that can run a range of engine sizes....

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:29 PM
siddus74

Sods law, you order what you think is the best solution then you find a cheaper equivalent with a battery backer!

[link=http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=3564]FLIGHTTECH 8A LINEAR VOLT REGULATOR [/link]

Has anybody used this item? My mate had one in a 50cc yak for about a year and I never new! lol

Siddus74
Old 12-17-2009, 06:49 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Sonicwings

siddus74

Great, good you found a solution your happy with, i just had a look at the Sahara reg, yes looks good, and sounds like a good match with what your wanting to run...

BaldEagel,

How big is the box its shipped in ???
I to am looking for a cheeper, Hack jet to build, that can run a range of engine sizes....

Cheers Jeremy.
Sonic

The build is easy if you have built before, ply fus sides and internal formers and foam wings pre-covered with thin ply (can't spell venier) , mine came in three seperate boxes, but I did order other stuff with it, the wings are the biggest box about 1.2M sq, with fixed gear it makes a good hack, I am looking at just a couple of wheels sticking out of the fus with tip skids to make it even less trouble, maybe a mechanical brake on the front wheel only, just push the nose down once on the ground to slow up or to take off lift the nose, the width of the rear turbine deck will take a motor up too 112mm wide, perhaps even a little wider, all accords on the width of the mount.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the box's, send Mick Reeves and e-mail and ask, he or his son are very helpful, they also sell pleated paper clunk filters which if you install them in the main tank you can do away with the UAT.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM
BaldEagel

Let's be honest about these things, the voltage regulators and battery backers are only as good as the battery they are using, no regulator can continue to supply power to the Rx and servo's if the battery has fallen below the power requirements of the system, I know its telling granma how to suck eggs, but if you have a decent battery in the first place you don't need the regulators, have two batteries and you don't need the battery backer, none of these things will save an aircraft if a servo short's out or both batteries go bad, but in over 30 years of Rc flying I have never had that happen in the air, I have had it happen but on the ground, maintenance is everthing.

Now I think about it I did have one throttle servo stick at WOT in the air with the help of two other flyers we flew it around until the tank emptied and then landed it, now if that had been an aileron servo, but then I would not have put that type or size of servo on a control surface.

If you rearly want to push the boat out and have something which will isolate a servo which shorts out, then you are talking lots of cash for a PowerBox system, and if you want to check on what is happening in your airframe whilst its flying you are talking about the Weattronics gear, but at about £800 for a 12 channel Rx in my mind that is silly, unless you have a Mibo A10 or equivilant.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Wayne22

Wayne22, Hi,

I like the pic you posted here, do you have more of your Reaper to share please ???
Thanks, I do, but they are old ones...

It is pretty easy to build...square box fuselage, the leading edge needs to be shaped. The vertical fin mounts need to be reinforced..a couple of Reapers have had the fins come loose and flutter in flight...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32346.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1336782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46184.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1336783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47328.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1336784  
Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 AM
siddus74

. . .but if you have a decent battery in the first place you don't need the regulators, have two batteries and you don't need the battery backer, none of these things will save an aircraft if a servo short's out or both batteries go bad, but in over 30 years of Rc flying I have never had that happen in the air, I have had it happen but on the ground, maintenance is everthing.

Mike
Mike some excellent points I feel . . . but the backer with two batteries as apposed to just two battteries serves as isolation in the event of battery going bad, im sure you knew this - maybe im reading it wrong.

I was talking to a young mate of mine thats not long been at work and has very little cash, he's a great pilot and I would let him fly anything of mine including the jets - the point he made was that if it was his he would have little choice but but to run with the TP servos and would just run with a really high quality 4.8V / 6.0V subc Nicad / Nim saying "I'm sure that would be fine" - thing is deep down I know this to be true, how often do have we put a backer and reg in a £700 chopper and or a larger pattern model? Next to never I bet . . .

I am the worst offender for listening to other people and throwing money at an install thats really OTT, half of it I bet is scaremongering and the fact the the primary installation was crap, I bet only a minute percentage of failure as due to equipment.

As you said - the ground checks and maintenance are the key and always provail and the quality of the actual installation first off as well I feel . . .

Scott.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 AM
BaldEagel

Scott

Your right of course, but have a look at the new Enerloop Nimh's they do not give a false Delta peak and therefore do not cut off charging early, worth considering.

Wayne 22

The Fin and Rudder on the latest versions of the Reaper have been changed and I can't see them suffering with flutter looking at how they are put together now.

Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Wayne22

The Fin and Rudder on the latest versions of the Reaper have been changed and I can't see them suffering with flutter looking at how they are put together now.

Mike
That is good to hear!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wayne,

You've seen my Reaper. It has two aluminum rails that bolt the Rudders to the Fuselage. You'd have to tear the side of the plane off to remove a rudder. The newer set-up is really strong.

The weakest link I find is the darn nose wheel. I have been fiddling for awhile to get a setup that doesn't goof up. The issue is that the plane uses a Spring air or Robart retract. A standard Robart strut does down to the wheel. Pull/pull cables are used for steering. What happens, the front strut pin bends slightly with each take-off and landing. The wheel then cants back. This loosen the cables. Then, the next flight the cable are slack and ta-da...no steering. The plane goes straight on landing. Great if your perfectly aligned, bad if if off a bit. Twice, I have skidded off the runway due to this loss of steering. A real bummer. I still haven't lick this bug out the CM special.....

Dave
Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
BaldEagel

I have a Digitech retract with trailing link Olio designed for the Falcon 120 that fits in exactly?

Mike
Old 12-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Wayne22

You've seen my Reaper. It has two aluminum rails that bolt the Rudders to the Fuselage. You'd have to tear the side of the plane off to remove a rudder. The newer set-up is really strong.
We're talking about the wooden kit version...your's is totally different
Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 AM
dw_crash

Wayne,

Truen....but using an aluminum angle piece to secure the rudders would work on the wood or composite version that I have. Probably even better on the wood version. At least there is some meat to the fuselage frather than just some glass and balsa....

Dave
Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM
ramboman

Hello...
Something new ?
I just got mine... to be powered withan EDF...
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
dw_crash

ORIGINAL: ramboman

Hello...
Something new ?
I just got mine... to be powered withan EDF...

Hmmm.....EDF...Mine has a JJ1400 and flies OK...nothing specular....you'd need a hell of a EDF setup to keep up with a turbine. This huge delta losses speed when you pull Gs faster than a working girl loses her knickckers when meeting a ship that has been at sea for a year!!!! You really need reserve power to add as you lose speed in hogher G manuevers. Not needed for modest straight line flying.

DW_Crash.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
ramboman

Designed for wren 44... 11lbs... 5kg... we'll see
Old 09-23-2018, 05:17 AM
svennoe

Default All mowing canards

Hi!

I have just startes building my Super Reaper. I would like to have all mowing canards and need som tips how to make that happen! Carbon fibre rod and bearings? And where you have the rotationpoint on the canard. Sorry for bad english..

Svenn

Last edited by svennoe; 09-23-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:19 AM
BaldEagel

Have a look at any of the Rookie or Kangaroo threads they both have all moving canards.

Mike