Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is this an addiction?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is this an addiction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 06:32 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an addiction?

Does anyone else have jets on the brain all day? I go to sleep thinking about how I can make *** work or how to fix *** , I run my flights through my head to put me to sleep. I surf the net looking for my next project, I get one done and need anouther! Am I crazy or is this just an addiction? Not that I want it to go away...My wife thinks I am just plain nuts (but supports my hobby). Am I the only one????
Old 12-11-2001, 07:54 PM
azblue

Default Naw, yer not nuts

I do the same thing...some days more than others, but what i find is if i don't get to work on planes or surf the net for jet stuff for a couple of days, i do miss it. I'm lucky enough to be able to surf the net at work, so it's ...play with the planes when i get home. Ya, R/C jets are pretty fun alright.. Fun indeed.

Z
Old 12-11-2001, 08:07 PM
Pete S-RCU

Yup, you're the only one.

Makes you wonder sometimes don't it?
Actually I can't get to sleep cause I'm reliving the days flights.
It's worth it though, I'd never give it up.

Pete Stapleton
Simjet Rep
Old 12-12-2001, 01:34 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it a sickness if you have to watch jet video's before you can to go to sleep?

Old 12-12-2001, 01:47 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Addicted to Jets?

To All Jet Pilots-

Of course we are hopeless jet addicts-the only known cure is more jets-turbines and ducted fans and OS.91's.-I have learned to just accept it and live with it-plus I REALLY have it bad-I fly target drones for a living.

Jackjet
Old 12-12-2001, 01:48 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Default I'm not addicted

I'm so sorry to see all you addicted guys. I'm glad to say I don't have that problem. I just built three turbine jets in 2 years, flew ovcer 400 turbine flights this year, went to 8 rally's, and have three jet kits waiting to be built. Naw, I'm not addicted at all.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:08 AM
Jackjet

Default Re: I'm not addicted

Originally posted by TonyF
I'm so sorry to see all you addicted guys. I'm glad to say I don't have that problem. I just built three turbine jets in 2 years, flew ovcer 400 turbine flights this year, went to 8 rally's, and have three jet kits waiting to be built. Naw, I'm not addicted at all.

Hi Tony,

you are not a jet addict ? yea,right.Ha! Ha!

Jackjet
Old 12-12-2001, 02:31 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Default Wish I had the time to really get addicted

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had the time and money to really get addicted to these things. I could imagine traveling to every Jet rally. And not just travel, but in a large self contained motor home, fully equipped for "on the road" building, repairing etc. A large trailer just for extra storage room.

Think of the Rallys we could dream up. At one of the more Western "desert isolated" Rallys "non AMA for this one," everyone equips there Jets with small rockets and we could let the games begin. Points for target kills on the ground, scale targets of troop encampments, convoys, etc. Humm being as though we all have lots of building time, and remember money is not a problem either, maybe some air to air targeting also.

When winter sets in of course we all would go south, to Tony F's winter Rallys in Calf, and then to Arizona, over to Florida to get stocked up with new aircraft projects and some Florida Rallies.

I think I'd better pinch myself cause I'm really starting to get carried away here, but you get the point. "Addicted who's addicted"?

Just dreaming
Lee------
Old 12-12-2001, 02:39 AM
Jackjet

Default Re: Wish I had the time to really get addicted

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silver182
[B]Wouldn't it be nice if we all had the time and money to really get addicted to these things. I could imagine traveling to every Jet rally. And not just travel, but in a large self contained motor home, fully equipped for "on the road" building, repairing etc. A large trailer just for extra storage room.

Think of the Rallys we could dream up. At one of the more Western "desert isolated" Rallys "non AMA for this one," everyone equips there Jets with small rockets and we could let the games begin. Points for target kills on the ground, scale targets of troop encampments, convoys, etc. Humm being as though we all have lots of building time, and remember money is not a problem either, maybe some air to air targeting also.

When winter sets in of course we all would go south, to Tony F's winter Rallys in Calf, and then to Arizona, over to Florida to get stocked up with new aircraft projects and some Florida Rallies.

I think I'd better pinch myself cause I'm really starting to get carried away here, but you get the point. "Addicted who's addicted"?

Just dreaming

Hi Silver182,
how about a scale model mock up of bin ladens hide out-then we could drop a scale daisy cutter bomb on it............

Jackjet
Old 12-12-2001, 03:16 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Default A Phone call

We would first have to target his "home cave" and pound it hard and long enough to get him out in the open, then a daisy cutter would be just the ticket, have you seen what one of those jewels will do to everything above ground level -----------

Maybe we could just give him a Phone call:

Check this out, got this from the A10flyr the other day it's good for a laugh ------http://members.sigecom.net/theclan/Taliban.html
Old 12-12-2001, 04:16 AM
Gsmurf1203

Default Addicted???........ME!!!

Cars, Girls, School.......obviously the average teenager dosen't fly models!!!! I wake up thinking JET...go to bed thinking JET, and there's no break in it.....always have at lease one catalog or magazine with me at all times (BVM....RCJI....etc.)...spend every dime on this stuff............awwww hell...life's too short not to live......no...i'm pretty sure your not alone......anyone who's not addicted to this stuff after flying is beyond me....Count me in!!!
(Addicted to Jet-A and Turbine Crazy)
Old 12-12-2001, 04:20 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, the hardest part is funding a bunch of hobbies at once! One at a time is much easier! I have got to slow down.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:23 AM
azblue

Default Jackjet

Hey Jackjet, those target drons you fly wouldn't happen to be F-106's would they? I am an air traffic controller and the airport i used to work at turned F-106's into targets. Man it sure was fun to see those guys test fly em after the change over...I would always tell them "speed is your descretion" and they would shake the tower windows with just under the speed of sound fly bys.

I sure do miss those days

Andy
Old 12-12-2001, 01:28 PM
Jackjet

Default Re: Jackjet

Originally posted by azblue
Hey Jackjet, those target drons you fly wouldn't happen to be F-106's would they? I am an air traffic controller and the airport i used to work at turned F-106's into targets. Man it sure was fun to see those guys test fly em after the change over...I would always tell them "speed is your descretion" and they would shake the tower windows with just under the speed of sound fly bys.

I sure do miss those days

Andy

Hi Andy,
they are real big R/C models of soviet jets..........thats all I can say.

Jackjet
Old 12-13-2001, 12:03 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Hey Jackjet,

How are things at Continental? Did they ever turbinize any of those models?

FYI, I was an instructor for the Pioneer UAV at Ft. Huachuca for External Pilot, Internal Pilot and Payload Operator before moving to NASA Dryden.

BTW, Pioneer is a 17 foot span, 400 pound UAV powered by a 27 HP twin cylinder 2 stroke. It was used quite a bit in Desert Storm.

Oh, one last thing. Looks like I can change my schedule and I will be at Rabbit this Saturday. If you have the papers I can give you one signature, and I am on the Turbine CD list.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:58 AM
Jackjet

Default Addicted to Jets?

Originally posted by TonyF
Hey Jackjet,

How are things at Continental? Did they ever turbinize any of those models?

FYI, I was an instructor for the Pioneer UAV at Ft. Huachuca for External Pilot, Internal Pilot and Payload Operator before moving to NASA Dryden.

BTW, Pioneer is a 17 foot span, 400 pound UAV powered by a 27 HP twin cylinder 2 stroke. It was used quite a bit in Desert Storm.

Oh, one last thing. Looks like I can change my schedule and I will be at Rabbit this Saturday. If you have the papers I can give you one signature, and I am on the Turbine CD list.

Tony,
would you please give me your E-mail address.

Thanks,Jackjet
Old 12-13-2001, 06:01 AM
Snaggs

Default Snaggs

OK, I'll admit it. I'm addicted to this hobby. Got my training completed, flew some sport airplanes, then got a pattern airplane and got hooked on the speed (as in velocity). Then I had to have a jet. First one was a D/C F-20, then the F-18, now the Maverick, and I still have my sites set on that turbine in the future.

I'm really bad, I can get a model that same day, look it over, then go to the magazine and start looking for the next one! I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this.

The Tower flyer make for some good reading material in the bathroom. I left one in there the other day and my wife walked by and there was my 3 year old son sitting in there reading it just like me. You know what they say, "Like Father, Like Son".

-Snaggs
Old 12-14-2001, 03:46 AM
Gsmurf1203

Default Getting hooked

To make a long story short...wanted a go-cart......parents did not....took the money and bought a R/C car...then oval raced...won...off road...won...gas cars.....been there....3 years ago dad took me to TOP-GUN......Hook, line, and sinker... It was ok until BV fired up his new (at that time) factory Bandit. My face went flushed....i turned to my father and said "thats me." 3 years latter, one of the better pilots in my club, asst. V.P. of my club, and i've saved the cash...my balsa Bandit is on it's way.......WHAT A HOBBY!!!!! Expensive, and hard work to save...but well worth every penny.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:51 PM
pmriser
Banned

Hi Greg,

I thought your were getting a BobCat, are you still getting it?

I wonder how that RAM 500 will fly that Bandit, I have seen one setup like that but it was not very fast at all.

Thanks

Vickie
Old 12-15-2001, 03:43 AM
Gsmurf1203

Default Plan changes

Hello,

I was doing exactly what you just quoted. After flying both Bob Violett's AMT Mercury powered Bobcat XL, and JetCAT P-120 powered balsa Bandit i got to talking with bob. To make a long story short...started flying because of the bandit, always my favorite.....if i'm spending this much...why not go for the best??? Sold the 500 and the balsa Bandit is on the way.....i'll buy a 1000RX or P-160 for it when i get the fuinds back together.....thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
cavandish

Default RE: Is this an addiction?

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Does anyone else have jets on the brain all day? I go to sleep thinking about how I can make *** work or how to fix *** , I run my flights through my head to put me to sleep. I surf the net looking for my next project, I get one done and need anouther! Am I crazy or is this just an addiction? Not that I want it to go away...My wife thinks I am just plain nuts (but supports my hobby). Am I the only one????
you are lucky, I do all of this stuff, but when its real bad, sleep is not an option.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think somebody just won an award for digging up the oldest thread.[X(]

PaulD
Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Mavrik!

My god 10 year old thread! I wonder if Todd still feels the same!

Mav
Old 05-10-2010, 02:57 PM
rbean2
My Feedback: (3)

I am sorry to say, but it is not an addiction. It is a complete mental sickness. Think how easy life was before you saw your first jet flight. How nice it was to have extra money to get other things. I now have three jets and don't even know how to fly them. All I can fly is heli's. I have friends who are going to teach me, but I NEED another jet to make sure I have the right one...........................

Richard
Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Just take a look at the posts that have been put here, and look at the posters date of joining and the amount of posts they have made, Furyflyer JohnVH has over 15,000 posts and I thought I was a prolific poster.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.