Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Throttle servo slow with ZAP WC2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Throttle servo slow with ZAP WC2

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:22 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle servo slow with ZAP WC2

I'm sure I've seen this thread before somewhere but can't find it.

Is this possible?

I can put a servo delay in when condition switching but I can't find how to put a simple delay on the throttle (to simulate throttle lag on my propjets).

Please help
Old 11-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Andy_S_T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle servo slow with ZAP WC2

Go into the ATV menu, press NXT and put in your percentage onto channel 3 (or whatever channel your throttle is on) 98% gives around 4-5 seconds IIRC.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andy_S_T

Go into the ATV menu, press NXT and put in your percentage onto channel 3 (or whatever channel your throttle is on) 98% gives around 4-5 seconds IIRC.
That's it.... but remember that will only 1/2 way simulate turbine thrust lag...good on the throttle up, but not for throttle shutdown... turbines reduce power very quickly, good thing that part is really necessary!

The thing you need to practice is power on approaches, get the airplane in a nose up high drag config... one that requires power on the approach to hold altitude! Learn to control airspeed with pitch angle and altitude with the power setting. Dragging a turbine bird in with power at about 1/3 throttle insures touchdown on not before the runway threshold. Now as long as the aircrafts airspeed is relatively slow, just reduce power, continue the flair and touchdown... another great help on shorter runways is pre-setting the wheel brakes then roll-out is straight and short.
Lee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88526.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	193435  
Old 11-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Silver182

ORIGINAL: Andy_S_T

That's it.... but remember that will only 1/2 way simulate turbine thrust lag...good on the throttle up, but not for throttle shutdown... turbines reduce power very quickly, good thing that part is really necessary!
IIRC, my WC2 allows different servo-slow values to be entered for each travel direction (unlike the 10X) - so you can program in a slower response in one direction than the other.

Don't ask me how to do it, since Futaba's crappy programming interface drives me nuts... but I'm 99% sure it can be done.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:01 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Once my sinkrate on my Eurofighter was so great that I ended up toughing wheels down with the tubine running at full power! As soon as the wheels touched I chopped the throttle and I was on deck without a worry.

Landing these fire breathing monsters is the most fun I have in this hobby That and all my fans [8D]
Old 11-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: seanreit
Landing these fire breathing monsters is the most fun I have in this hobby That and all my fans [8D]
You have fans ??? [X(][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]

Oh ... you mean ducted fans, right ? Whew. For a minute there you had me convinced that the world had gone nuts

Gordon

(Sorry Sean - but you seriously can't dangle bait like that and expect not to get a bite)
Old 11-16-2004, 10:16 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wanna join the mailing list
Old 11-16-2004, 12:04 PM
siclick33

Thanks guys.

I couldn't find that in the manual for the life of me. I can't adjust up and down independantly but that's not too important. At least I'll get some impression of the lag now.

Just got to find time to try it out!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: siclick33
I couldn't find that in the manual for the life of me.
Doesn't surprise me - I found the futaba manuals to be awful (which is why there were some aftermarket books telling you how the radio really works - the guy who wrote the manual wrote the aftermarket books too, and he once posted that the reason the manual is so bad is that Futaba would not let him use more than a certain number of pages, leaving him no way to properly explain things). Worst of all for the WC2 manual - it doesn't even have an index !

I know there's also a second doc explaining some of the Wc2 behavior, but the author of that was so in love with "conditions", that the book really only talks about conditions and doesn't really cover anything else.

I can't adjust up and down independantly but that's not too important.
I'm still convinced that you can do it, just that it is (as usual) not obvious how. I did a quick google search and came up with this page:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9z-q214.html

which shows you setting the delay twice - once for each direction. Dunno if that's of any help or not. You may be able to get more info by posting a "how do I do this" question in the radio forum, where there are some very experienced Futaba reps available to answer your questions.

Good luck,
Gordon
Old 11-16-2004, 01:02 PM
siclick33

Thanks for looking for me.

Unfortunately the method described in the link relies on condition switching. This won't work to slow a proportional channel.

I know it's not perfect but I'm quite happy with the slow function in both directions. I think this is one area where the WC2 doesn't have the capability to do what I want.