Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F16

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 PM
filtr-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM F16

I am looking at buying a BVM f16. I was wondering how the airplane flies. I also was wondering if you can get the kit from BVM still.
I also was wondering if the still sell replace parts if something happens.

ron
Old 11-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Rutlec80
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: BVM F16

The F-16 flies really well, pretty much like it is on rails. The only difficult part is the approach and landing. It is the only plane that I have seen that will literally "fall out of the sky" if the engine quits on final. With the gear down and the nose up on approach, it has no glide angle. With the gear up, it will glide a considerable distance. Biggest problem I had, mine was an older DF, was the nose gear. Yes they still sell parts. I will check and see if their new nose gear will fit in the F-16. Don't know if you are talking DF, which they no longer make but can be bought here on RCU either built or new in the box. I now have one of the older DF T-33s and it is an incredable flier and a lot easier to land. At 5000 msl, I use both flaps and speed brakes. It has a very good glide even with the gear down. Plus you can see it in the air. The F-16 has a tendency to disappear depending a lot on the paint scheme. Jets and War Birds are a whole new experience. I hope there is someone who can assist you, because they are really fun to fly.

Good luck.

Chet
Old 11-18-2004, 03:55 AM
SpiderJets

My friend Rudy Moerman has a very well, partly built, fully complete BVM F-16 for sale.
If you are really interested in this plane, and would like to get it at very fair price, you should contact with him : [email protected] (Mobile phone (Belgium) : +32 (497) 58.47.11) His english is not brilliant but I can assure you he is a very fine gentleman, very correct to work with and an excellent builder. He is swifting now towards R/C helis and electric park flyers, as he only finds time nowadays to fly in his garden.

All the best,
Nicolas.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ron,

I was lucky enough to get a second hand F-16 and it was a blast. I learned to fly DF on it and it was very rewarding. I never had a flameout, but I would expect it not to fly too long without power. It takes sometime to learn how the landing gear works, and yes the nose gear is very tricky, but you should be able to make it work properly. The airplane is fast enough to get the jet feel, but it will not do 200mph or even close to that. It is veru easy to land, don't mind what other's state.

BVM stocks some spare parts for the airframe, and it has full support for the landing gear. I am building a YA Falcon right now, and I can tell that the BVM is a superior model. I sold mine RTF here on RCU way too cheap and I fully regret it. Please fell free to email me or PM if you have further questions. I don not have enough good things to say about this jet.

Take care,

David
Old 11-18-2004, 11:44 AM
jettset99

The only difficult part is the approach and landing

Hi this is totally untrue!!!! we have been flying 2 here in so Cal with Jf 50 Bees they fly and land perfect!WE fly about 6-8 flight a Day Col_Tomb can slow his down to a walking speed without it stalling On landing, the problem is people try to shove too big of a motor in it with tons of fuel. BVM F-16 is small so if you get it to heavy you need more speed to create more lift to over come DRAG and WEIGHT, this is The basics. The ones here fly@ 14 lbs with 50 oz of fuel, they are becoming a very popular Jet Here in So Cal. If your flying the ducted fan version you need to carry a little bit of speed on landing, remember those BIG gear DOORs SLOOOOWWWWW the Plane down allot. Good luck Paul AJUSA
Old 11-18-2004, 03:39 PM
FalconWings

If your flying the ducted fan version you need to carry a little bit of speed on landing, remember those BIG gear DOORs SLOOOOWWWWW the Plane down allot.
Totally true, expect to run the engine at 60-70% power during approach, and do not be afraid of keeping the nose above the horizon 'cause you will need it.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Scott Douglas

I'm so glad to hear you guys say such nice things about this model. I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago and I've been checking it over while I wait for a good day to test fly it. At this time of year in Scotland though we only get varying degrees of rain
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93769.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	194188  
Old 11-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

Just wanted to clarify something: Falconwings is right about the BVM F-16 being a superior model to the Yellow A/C F-16 he's building which is the OLDER version. The latest F-16 is a different story entirely.

Ron,

The BVM F-16 is superb in the sky. I think its landing reputation is worse than its landing performance. There's a knack to it. Once you have it, it's a very stable and predictable airplane to land. Guys like John Redman and Dave Ribbe are the ones to talk to about anything related to BVM F-16s.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

I gotta second what Paul said .I havent seen too many jets to date that are as stable as the F16 in both landing & slow speed envelopes.I had two F16's & they were both very easy to fly.You can literally chop the throttle on the landing straighaway without fear of a stall scenario.The F16 will fly extremely slow without a hint of problems.Mine were both DF versions & they exhibited the great habits listed above.You have to stop & remember that the F16 will fly slower than what it's takeoff speed is.

I wouldn't be afraid at all of the slow speed handling as the 16 will land amazingly slow & will glide better than mentioned above by another member .Mine went deadstick several times & glided very well back for a uneventful landing.The geardoors are quite draggy but a few clicks of throttle will bring you thru it.They are quite fast too as a DF version [8D]

Steve
Old 11-19-2004, 01:30 AM
F18mike
My Feedback: (3)

One the subject of F16's I too purchased on on RCU. I've heard great things about this jet. Mine is a BVM F16 DF, hope to get it up in the air soon. Its about 90% complete, need to work on the brakes/wings/paint before it can go up. Guys, since I'm fairly new to the jet scene, I need to purchase brakes from bvm, the person who sold the jet to me told me that I would need the set of brakes for the main and then the bvm brake actuator, so that would mean that only the rear landing gears get brakes? Any feed back would be gladly appreciated.

mike

Name:	Ig11767.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	194341  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:33 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: medma1934

so that would mean that only the rear landing gears get brakes?

mike
Correct.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:00 AM
SpiderJets

Paul,

What kind of turbine would you fit in the BVM F-16 ? I totally agree about the weight issue you bring forward... Something like the SimJet 700 or JetCat 70 ? What did people install with success in Ca ?
No politics here, though. (BTW. I am building a new SJ F-16 with a TJT3000, latest version. Hope to test run the motor this weekend.)

TOE OUT instead of TOE IN
----------------------------------
I also got a very interesting comment from an F-16 pilot saying that for the F-16's you need TOE OUT on main wheels to prevent "wobbling" on the tarmac during landing and taxiing of any F16. Very interesting finding, moreover seen the usual way for pilots was to install TOE IN on mains, and to my second opinion a very correct adjustment !

Nicolas.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:12 AM
jettset99

Hi Nic how are you.... we use the little JF-50 Bee it weighs in @ 1.4 lbs and with a LI-POLY ecu pack totall install weight is just a few onces over 2 lbs, it puts out 14 lbs so its 10-1 in thrust PAUL AJUSA

By The way Dave Ribbe flew are combo @ Super man and was very impressed,I agree he knows the BVM F-16 like the Back of his Hand...

Name:	Qo38955.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	194396  
Old 11-19-2004, 05:36 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Having just tested a JetCat P60 I feel this would be the perfect engine for the F16, powerful yet very compact and fuel efficient. similarly a PST 600r (R version) or the forthcoming Wren Supersport would be excellent choices. A year or two ago I purchased the BVM turbine conversion kit for the F16 and completed its installation. It was going to be an RCJI feature, shame it had to be dropped because the F16s I have seen flying perform extremely well.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:25 PM
fred cesquim

hello Gents!
i´ll start a kit conversion in the beginning of 2005, so this will be helpfull!
David, your book of Sabre is on it´s way back to you! thank you VERY much, i owes you a lot! ans sorry for taking so long to send it back!
along comes a small gift for you!
btw, how is the MIG going on? i have done progress!i´ll keep posted on the mig trhead
Old 11-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Shaun Evans

Well,

I don't know about toe-out v. toe in on F-16s, but I do know that the Yellow F-16, with about one degree of toe-in on both mains, and no gyro, will track down the runway with no rudder/steering inputs without deviating an inch either way.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:44 PM
filtr-RCU

Thanks folks. The info is great keep it coming.

Ron
Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Props4ever

Hi Guys,

I have leads on getting one of these older DF BVM F16s and I have been talking to the owner about it. What would be great EDF set up for this F16?. I would appreciate if someone who has it already converted to EDF and has been flying it could share his experiences and thoughts on it.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 PM
MaHo

Take it
I have one flying, first with a 120mm fan. Now with a 90mm Wemotec Midifan Evo.
Flies great. Best flying plane i have.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183861
regards Martin
Old 09-30-2015, 03:30 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by Props4ever
Hi Guys,

I have leads on getting one of these older DF BVM F16s and I have been talking to the owner about it. What would be great EDF set up for this F16?. I would appreciate if someone who has it already converted to EDF and has been flying it could share his experiences and thoughts on it.
Don't think it will get much better than with a BVM EViojet (sp?). I think they were develop specifically to become a drop-in replacement for their ICDF Viofan units. I would start there.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Replacement parts will be impossible to get i would think.. You would just have to call BVM and find out.