Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reasonable Fuel Capacity

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reasonable Fuel Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 01:17 AM
ArtW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasonable Fuel Capacity

I am new to jets and am trying to figure out what is a reasonable first Jet. What fuel capacity is reasonble for a JetCat p70 or PST 600R based aircraft. Is a single 50 oz with a UAT enough fuel? How long a flight do you get? The 50 oz tank is 1500 ml. The maximum fuel consumption rate of the JetCat P70 is listed in the 250 ml/min range as is the PST 600R. That would give 6 minutes at full throttle. How much fuel is used getting going on the ground? In my prop planes I have always strived for maximum fuel capacity and fly for 15 minutes routinely. Does a plane with 50 ounce capacity and a 14 to 16 lbs thrust turbine have enough fuel capacity?

I was looking at the DV8R and it has 100 oz of fuel for a JetCat P80. Does this imply that 50 oz in plane with a p70 is inadequate?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Reasonable Fuel Capacity

ArtW
I fly a 14 1/2 lb AV8R with the PST J600 and have a 50 oz main and the standard BVM UAT. I have a 10 oz overflow tank attached to the vent and use it to taxi to the preflight area. I set my talking timer to 7 min and then I remove the overflow tank prior to take off. I have my flight routine down so that the mains touch the runway when my timer tells me zero time is left. After taxing back and with the shut down procedure, I have the UAT full and approx 5 to 10 oz still on board, depending on throttle management through out the flight. This fuel capacity is fine for the J600 but I would recommend at least 60 to 65 oz for the J600R for approx the same flying time which will give plenty of reserve.

RH
Old 11-25-2004, 04:47 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

That probably about right. My Bobcat with PST 600 R has two ltres of fuel and gives 6 minUte flights with a good reserve, my JetCat P70 Bobcat XL has almost three liters (both plus UAT ) and gives 7-8 minutes again witha good reserve. Both are excellent engines.
Regards,
David Gladwin
Old 11-25-2004, 06:48 PM
rjpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Artw.
I also have an AV8R with a PST J 600 engine, and have a 50 oz Dubro main tank and BVM UAT.
I fly for 6 minutes and always have about 8-10 oz of fuel in the main.
Also almost never fly the entire flt at full throttle.
Am using 70 oz in my new plane for my PST J600R.
Ron
Old 11-27-2004, 11:51 PM
ArtW

Thanks for the information. Which engine would you purchase? The plane has an empty weight of 17 lbs.

My tendency is to try to carry more fuel rather than less.
I would fly in the U.S. so the thrust needs to be less than 17 lbs. Is there any benefit of JetCat over PST? PST 600 versus 600R is there any real difference? Different compression ratio or just tolerance for RPM? The 600 has 5.5 KG of thrust, the 600R 6.5, is this just from better balancing and tolerance for higher RPM or is there a difference in the compressor or turbine?

What do you think of the AV8R verus DV8R?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:03 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Simple, one of each ! Both the PST and the Jetcat 70 (and the new 60 ) are terrific engines. The 600R is noticeably more powerful ( and quieter) than the plain 600. Whichever you buy you can't go wrong.
Regards,
David Gladwin.