RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by SALMONBUG View Post
a view inside my r54, of the partialy completed eqipement setup.

are those dubro heavy duty servo arms? If so I suggest getting rid of them. I have had them split all along the holes in the arms.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:41 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (47)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
are those dubro heavy duty servo arms? If so I suggest getting rid of them. I have had them split all along the holes in the arms.
Really? I've been using them for years. Hundreds of flights on 7 or 8 jets and gassers, never a problem.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeremy, could you elaborate on that, same here, I have used them in many airplanes and never had a problem with them, I like to know the situation when they splited.

Thank you.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I almost lost my kingcat because of them. I had probably 50 flights on it with those horns on all surfaces. Taxiing out for a flight and suddenly one flap drops. It was just loose so I pulled the hatch to find the arm split right from the end all the way to the center. Checked all the rest and found 2 more with cracks starting. I knew I had those horns in my CAI raptor as well so checked them and one elevator servo arm cracked. I also know a few guys when i was flying pattern who had the splines strip out on the servo output shaft.
they get brittle as they age.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 PM
causeitflies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since we're picking apart SALMONBUG's install , I second Bob's point about mounting the filter vertically. I would also turn it around as it looks backward although it will run just fine backward. I usually don't mount the Festo ball valve on the suction side but as long as it doesn't suck air it will be fine. As far as servo arms go I don't think you can beat the arms that come with Hitec digital servos. Many years ago I had some of those Dubro arms strip the splines.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:27 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeremy, thank you for taking the time to reply, I will follow your suggestion and will use metal servo arms from now on, my Boomerang XL has Dubro servo arms all around, it's time to change them to metal.
I second to install the filter vertical and to also install it where the in line is on the outside of the filter itself this way if there is any debris it will be captured on the outside of the filter that way it will be easer to clean, also the festo valve must be installed on the pressure side, if installed on the suction side it will eventuality leak.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-12-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:38 PM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really don't think that having the valve on the suction line is a big concern, otherwise the 15 years old R54 prototype ( the one displayed in the assembly booklet ) should already be dead for a long time ( see picture assembly booklet page 28)..........
A email exchange with Bruce last week about the prototype color scheme and flaps considerations confirmed me that one is still alive.
And if that stupid valve give me any kind of trouble, I'll remove it, because in our part of the world it's not legaly mandatory and I hesitated to put it.
Filter positioning on the pressure line make sense in my opinion. It protect the turbine from a potential pump degradation ( debris from the pump in the line)., jetcat people must be as stupid as me because, each drawing showing the suggested setup iin the jetcat user manual show the filter after the pump.......
The main goal of my element positioning is to keep the lines as short and straight as possible.

Next week I go to collect some stuffs in znline workshop , R54 will be in the car and we will discuss this particular setup with my fellow Jean Pierre Zardini ( if you don't know the name, google it). Could be good to have his point of view about all that.

About the filter position ( vertical, horizontal ), I already have received several opinions and most of people said, that it is more important to keep the fuel line straight than to place your filter vertical ( UAT being in charge of the bubbles concern), But this could be sbject to discussions

after having read all the coments, I'll swap my servo arm for stronger ones ( just in case because I never had trouble in the past with those ones) and add a festo connection behind the filter to make the cleaning easier

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 04-13-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:06 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Continuing with the build, the TE extensions are glued, the wing tips and roots are trimed and now waiting for the yellow glue to dry on the tips, wing tips trimmed to a rough tip shape.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-13-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:36 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my wings intrados ready to receive the blue covering. The white orientation strips are the only place on entire plane where colors overlap exceed 1/4 inches. For those interested in this color scheme, notice the yellow color already installed on the sides of the wing fairing.

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 04-13-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:00 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Either I never had any kind of trouble with dubro heavy duty servo arms, I am stupid enough to radically solve a potential issue after having read some comments, those ones won't broken

Old 04-15-2018, 05:16 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wing intrados

Old 04-16-2018, 04:39 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For those interested in the factory colors ironing job, my opinion is that It could be a good idea to take some extra time to carefully make a symmetrical positioning of those two yellow parts. They are in my opinion the clue to a nice symetrical irioning job.
I realise that I will break a kind of personal record with that plane before having flown it ( or crash it due to poor fuel setup if you prefer). In fact as far I remember it will be the first time that I iron 5 different colors on a aileron . ( red, blue yellow , white and greey)

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 04-16-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

enough for today

Old 04-17-2018, 01:30 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Delay in the ironing job. Short on blue color. Not a big concern for you US guy, but a concern for me. Monokote isn't imported in belgium anymore. Hve to order in a other country

Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First time out of the workshop with the R54 fuselage for a visit to my friend Jean Pierre ( znline owner). Here is the R54 talking with some future fellows in the znline workshop. I had my R54 balance excell spreadsheet on my laptop and I selected some batteries. According to the numbers the balance should turn not so bad........
We talked fuel system.
Belgium is very small country, you can go from a boundary to a other riding 2 hrs car. and only a very few amount of rc field., meaning we know each other very well.. Friday I should go to Avonds,. Philip Avonds and me share the same intterest for rc vintage kit and I will go to collect a old svenson kit. I'll maybe take my R54 with me just to have the opinion of a rc scale jet world champion about my setup.

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 04-17-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

putted those little things in my pocket when visiting JP, wings connectors and this funny cool 3D printer made antenna wires holder
Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Working on the wing tips to a rough shape, final sanding to be done with the entire wing.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-18-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:53 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tips done for now.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:30 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Moving on with the wings hatches, I didn't drill the holes for the screws at the very ends of the hatches because I didn't wanted holes on the main spars, instead I will add transparent packing type to the edges to seal them this will prevent any air from getting in the wing, specially during fast flights, I also added a drop of thing CA to the holes to make them more durable.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-18-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:35 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ailerons and flaps are cut and the control hornes bases were glued with 5 min epoxy.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-19-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

blue arrived early this morning, we ironed all the day and here are the wings . happy this ironing job is behind.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:31 PM
causeitflies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice job!!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking Great but what is all that engineering in the background of Post 3890. Smile. Chic
Old 04-19-2018, 02:58 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Looking Great but what is all that engineering in the background of Post 3890. Smile. Chic
As far I remember I ordered the color scheme templates with the kit one year ago

by the way either the wings look impressive I found the hatch the most difficult part to iron in this ironing job ( followed by the stab)

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 04-19-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy