Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:37 AM
speedbrake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

wd40,
There are a lot of people wanting R54s. Not sure what kind of price you are asking...but any return will help pay for the next project! Ask rcguy how he went about selling his.....and shipping to the buyer (part of this thread..somewhere). I'd say sell it and get on with the next project. Just curious...what is the next project?
Speedbrake
Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 PM
pjacq
My Feedback: (72)

I have just finised my 54 except for setting up the throws and the balance.It has a mamba 11.5lb for power with jr radio and robart 530 on the mains with the jetpower struts from dreamworks.I tryed to keep it simple for my winter flyer of the frozen lake that I live buy. Paul Jacques

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72944.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	602626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84900.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	602627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30521.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	602628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66128.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	602629  
Old 01-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does SWB still make the Mamba? Seems we rarely hear anything about them.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

Next could be a BVM F-86, YELLOW AIRCRAFT F-14, OR A JERRY BATTES F-4F WILDCAT
Old 01-21-2007, 09:09 AM
pjacq

I don't know if they still make the Mamba ive had this one for years now.I should give them a call and see if they still have parts for them.

[img][/img]

Name:	If10891.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	603032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82397.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	603033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33890.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	603034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd95658.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	603035  
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a tip for fellow R54 flyers/builders. I've increased the length of the aileron and flap servo extensions to allow them to pass thru the LE bulkhead into the hatch area when mounting the wing. This allows connecting them in an easier position without wrestling with the wing and allows visual inspection before each flight. Pictures below are of my Reaction 44 showing the connectors in the hatch area. Use short extensions from the RX, about 4-6".

BTW...I'll be at Desert Jet Storm in Phoenix with the R44 this February. Hope to see some other Reactions there!

Dave

Name:	Mk26312.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	603042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96499.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	603043  
Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 PM
dsiems
My Feedback: (1)

Today was the day to test the new P70 on my R54. I got everything setup out on my driveway and call my jet buddy and another flying buddy to come over for the test. While waiting for them, I checked and double checked everything. After they arrived I had them check everything out and they gave me a A'OK to light the fires. I set the transmitter up for start and advanced the throttle stick. The P70 came to life. It was amazing how quick it cranked up. WOOOOOW!!!!!!!! There is nothing like your first turbine starting up. What a rush!! Ran it for a few minutes and decided to try the Auto-shutdown. Worked without a glitch. Gata love them Jetcats.

Dean
Old 01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Congratulations Dean!

That is one sweet setup you got.

Johnny
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
phantom driver
My Feedback: (32)

Pjacq,
Which struts exactly are you using? I have found some on Dreamworks that are called trailing link struts. Are these the ones that you are using? What size? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
pjacq

The mane's are the Trailing Link Struts - Short J1A-TLSS and the Trailing Link Nose Strut is J1A-TLNS. if you look close at the brake line holders on the manes they are kinda nice to. thanks Paul
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: pjacq

The mane's are the Trailing Link Struts - Short J1A-TLSS and the Trailing Link Nose Strut is J1A-TLNS. if you look close at the brake line holders on the manes they are kinda nice to. thanks Paul
Quit horsing around! :-))

Jet 1A struts are very nice. Saw a few sets this last summer. Very impressive.

Dave
Old 01-27-2007, 07:26 PM
dsiems

My Reaction 54 had it's first maiden flights today. I made three wonderful flights and it just got better and better as the day went on. It was more than I expected. Bruce has really done well with this design. I want to thank everyone that has given me advice. It really helped.

Dean
Old 01-27-2007, 08:13 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i had to send my p60 in for sevice off of my r54 a couple of weeks ago. it just wasnt running right. turned out to be the rpm sensor. while at the field trying to get the p60 running i looked at the history of the p60. i had 14 hours 36 minutes run time on her. all of this time has been in the r54. i cant tell you how many flights i have on her anymore. also, the p60 had been flawless until that day. no complaints, that is a lot of run time. bruce, the r54 is one hack of a little jet. barry

Name:	Hf97930.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	607929  
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM
pjacq

I called SWB and they are still making the Mamba turbine and have spare parts to service them. The Bad thing about the Mamba is it is only 11.5lbs of thrust I wonder what it would put out at 160,000 rpm. The good thing is it should never need to get service unless for some thing stupid that I might do like crash. I think Im going to call and see if I can get them to make mine a true auto start so I don’t have to carry the hand start switch and car battery in my flight box. I could use some more nose weight so I will put the car battery in the nose to run the ecu and the starter.
Paul Jacques

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Does SWB still make the Mamba? Seems we rarely hear anything about them.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 AM
jon_focal_plane

Had the maiden flight on my R54 in early Jan07 on a 700 ft runway and got the turbine waiver in order. Just flew it this weekend off our 300 foot runway in Tucson. First landing, I used no more than half the runway. Had several more flights with similar results. What a pleasure to fly Bruce. It has a nice wide flight envelope and I think the most fun was doing slow passes with full flaps. Just unbelievably stable. It's running with a P70 and Trim brakes. I'm hooked!!!

Jonathan
Old 02-03-2007, 05:30 AM
maxvertical

Hey Tommy, weather been any cooler there yet?
Well, I'm covered in balsa dust and am getting close enough to be thinking about that glassing again. You said you used the .6oz, and that has worked ok for you so far? I don't like using anything too heavy but I've got buds here saying I should go to 1oz, but I think that's way too much on a ship that could be done in Monokote. I really don't want a 25# airplane! Also really like those Fillets of yours. Did you do those in resin, with wax paper on the wing? Wondering the best way to make a nice clean transition from wing to Fues.
Back to the flying stuff. Guess you haven't had a chance to fly with your Weaver yet have you? I'm doing the Smart-Fly Turbo Regulator with the Power Expander Pro for the dual electrics. Figure I'm going to need weight up front anyway, might as well put it to work!

Chris
Old 02-03-2007, 05:16 PM
TommyWatson

G'Day Chris,

I was flying yesterday (saturday), but did not take my reaction. The weather is great at the moment. As far as the glass cloth is concerned, I have always used .6 oz cloth from CST,

http://www.cstsales.com/e_glass_cloth.html

It is very soft and flows over the fuse very well. I use ZPoxy finishing resin thinned with rubbing alcohol till it is like thin cream. It goes milky with the rubbing alcohol but it dries OK.

Just cut a piece of cloth and lay it over the fuse, I did each side seperatly, then just brush the resin on working from the midle out. Do one side then when it has dried, sand off the edges and do the other side. The apply anothe coat of thinned resin. Then get out the 80 grit paper (yes 80 grit), and sand till you get rid of all the shine. Dont cut into the cloth. apply primer and sand most of it off, then paint.
I glassed the fin and stab before gluing to the fuse.

If I was to do anothe reaction, I would glass the fuse and tail and monokote the wings. I might just glass the wing tips as I am very bad at doing monokote around the tips.

I would not use heavier cloth as it is heavy and also takes a lot more resin which just makes it heavier still.

The filltets on the wings were made using thin 1/64, or 1/32 ply taped to the wing, I used 1/2 mm ply. You don't need to get the exact shape as you can adjust the edges later.

I applied glue to the fuse saddle and bolted the wing with the ply taped to it ont the fuse. When dry, remove the wing (the ply stays on the fuse) and apply the filler. I use the stuff sold by "Scale Stits" called Superfil.

http://www.stits.com/store/msc.html.

It is a two part epoxy filler and is very light. Just build up the fillet and sand,sand,sand. You can work the fillet with you finger wet with thinners whlie the filler is drying.

You need to use some ply, filler and imagination to make the joint at the front of the wing.

I used Superfil on the tail joints. I did all the fillets after I had glassed the fuse.

I also rounded the fuse corners more then the plan suggests. I did apply a strip of glass to the inside corners where I could just in case.

I just like the longevity of a glass finish and the extra weight has not hurt my Reaction. I do have a 18 pound Wren supersport and I can fly it as high as I can see before running out of power, and it lands very well.

Mine weighs 20 pounds with the wing glassed. I would imagine a monokoted wing model would weigh less.

Name:	Hf99415.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	612970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87312.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	612971  
Old 02-04-2007, 03:38 AM
maxvertical

Thanks Tommy! Just too cool how you did those wing fillets. Never would have thought of that one. I have really enjoyed pictures of your Reaction and I continue going back looking at your pictures trying to get ideas for my build here. I've done a ton of Monokote over the years and never have done glass, so this will be a first. I've got a local scale builder that I plan to meet up with first in hopes of getting some good schooling so I don't goof up my R54. I really like your ideas and how you did yours so it has in a way become my benchmark. I'm willing to trade a pound for a good looking painted finish that's durable and from the sounds of it, yours still lives up to the BTE standards by being a wonderful flying airplane. I have P-70 ready for mine so am not too far off from your 18 pounds of thrust. I'm also taking a second look at the fuel system right now. I did pick up the Jet-Tec tank for a few more ounces but am still pondering the fuel tank facing aft. Still like the idea of moving the UAT to forward of F-5. Guess I will press on and see what I come up with. So far the bird has gone together really fast, and can't say enough about how much fun it's been to build. Hope we can stay in touch, love your ideas. Thanks again for helping out! Will let you know how it goes.

Chris

P.S. The Zpoxy you used I noticed you said was finishing resin. Is that a resin specific to this task, glassing? I was thinking of using West Systems epoxy resin but maybe I'm off target here. I certainly don't want to make a fat airplane if I can help it.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:01 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Chris,

No, any resin will do. I have used west systems in the past. just as good as Zpoxy. Just be sure to thin it well. I got the method from Dan Parsons, who sold me my first lot of .6oz cloth many years ago. I will try to dig up the printed stuff he sent me. He has stopped selling his cloth now but the 0.6 oz CST stuff is the same. It is very soft and flows round curves well. Some guys use the resin full sttrength and wipe it off with a credit card. i think dan's method "binds" the cloth to the balsa better and is really easy to do. you just slap it on and sand it off later. And it does take a LOT of sanding. Be prepared to use a lot of 80 grit paper and change it often. You finish up covered with dust but have a beautifull light finish.

As far as the fuel system goes, with due respect to Bruce, I cant see anyadvantage in having the tank facing aft. The way I (and Dave Rigotti) have ours makes more sense. It also keeps the weight foreward. I only have the Servo controlled fuel tap and the gas valve and the ecu in the boattail. The pump, and UAT are both in front of F5.
The Gary Muller tank is great, I set my time for eight minutes and still have about 1/4 tank left.

Notice the manual tap is on the pressure side of the pump.

As I said, If I were to do it again I would monokote the wings. There is an awful lot of glass and resin on the wings.

Name:	Tr51439.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	613412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88381.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	613413  
Old 02-04-2007, 03:41 PM
maxvertical

So you guys haven't had any problems with the UAT being so low in the system? Noticed that the UAT is well below the fuel tank level.
Will give the wings some more thought. I haven't had much luck keeping Monokote on items that go much over 110mph, and was thinking of a custom paint job that would be a bear to match in the film. And thanks for sending those pictures. Really does help to see what others have done, and allows me to get better ideas for placement of the pump and valves.

Called in sick from work so I could build.. How crazy is that! Well, how do you say it, going to go have a " Bog In", today is our Super Bowl Sunday so lots of eats and blokes coming by for a laugh. I'm still going to get some building done! Take Care

Chris
Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: maxvertical

So you guys haven't had any problems with the UAT being so low in the system? Noticed that the UAT is well below the fuel tank level.
Will give the wings some more thought. I haven't had much luck keeping Monokote on items that go much over 110mph, and was thinking of a custom paint job that would be a bear to match in the film. And thanks for sending those pictures. Really does help to see what others have done, and allows me to get better ideas for placement of the pump and valves.

Called in sick from work so I could build.. How crazy is that! Well, how do you say it, going to go have a " Bog In", today is our Super Bowl Sunday so lots of eats and blokes coming by for a laugh. I'm still going to get some building done! Take Care

Chris
My Monokoted R54 has had NO problems with it sticking to the airframe even with many radar clocked 160+MPH passes.
"Turn the iron up!"

Dave
Old 02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
samo

Hi U2fast,

I've had the unique experience of flying the R-54 with a p-60 and then re-built it with a P-70. The P-70 makes this a completely different animal. In my opinion, upgrading is worth it. Yesterday my son Andrew and I put 4 flights on it and had a blast. We've been flying an L-39(Savex) and a Bandit and have to say that the Reaction is the most enjoyable all around. The easy tame nature of this bird allows you to relax and uncork the fun. Wow, nice job Bruce!

Steve

Name:	Yw66925.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	613742  
Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
maxvertical

Hey Samo, you say it's worth the upgrade to a P-70, a different animal, you mean the 70 is that dramatic of a change in performance? I have the 70 for mine, and wondered if I went overkill. I fly at 4000' so wanted to make sure I would be happy even in the heat of the summer, so went with the P-70 over the PST 600R. I'm not even finished yet and I already love this thing!

Chris
Old 02-05-2007, 04:14 PM
maxvertical

Dave R, didn't you have your Jet Tec tank facing aft? If so did you ever encounter any issues with that setup?
Old 02-05-2007, 04:47 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: maxvertical

Dave R, didn't you have your Jet Tec tank facing aft? If so did you ever encounter any issues with that setup?
Yes I did have it facing aft. 2 flameouts convinced me to switch it around to a more "conventional" layout. 75 flights later no problems what so ever. It's posted somewhere in this thread. Check May or June 2005 timeframe.
Post #475 on page 19.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.