Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been through the same problem. I can't count the number of gear and wing repairs I've done. I'm finally "Getting it". The throttle goes to idle on the down wind leg with full flaps. If the alignment with the runway isn't acceptable then I go around. A good friend with an R-54 that lands beautifully every time told me "John, don't let it land". Wings and fuselage level on final and hold it off with light pressure on the elevator to keep it level until the plane finally slows itself down and gently lands itself. Anything different and you'll bounce down the runway.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

JohnVH,

On my R54, I added smoke by mounting one of Dan Gill's wet centerline tanks under the wing. I think it was the one for the F-16. I put the smoke pump in the ECU bay, works really well. Not much ground clearance left and I only tried it on pavement.

I believe some other guys have tried wider, flatter homemade tanks, one called it a "smoke boat", same position.

One other idea was to add a smoke tank inside the hatch, above the RC equipment. That's dead space so it's an interesting idea, and not too far forward of the CG. The Dan Gill tank can be placed pretty much right at the CG.

Dave
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John

I used what I called my "smoke boat" that I had attached to my AV8R and modified it to fit on my R-54. The smoke boat contained the tank, an old turbine fuel pump, a brushed speed controller and a small 2 cell lipo. I made a flange to fit between the wing and fuse and used the wing mounting bolts to hold the boat. A little plumbing to run the smoke oil up to the turbine and a modified connector run to the Rx and you have smoke.

Roy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	av8r_landing_2_cRCU.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	2012208   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat flange.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2012209   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom flange.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2012210   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke boat.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2012211   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke boat rear.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2012212  
Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 PM
JustFlyIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Square Nozzle John

Thanks for the tips. I will try that approach on Tuesday when I go out after work. I will post results Tuesday night: idle on the down wind; even and easy on in.

And I really need to add smoke. That would be really amazing on this AC.

DRS
Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Video of my first flight a buddy took, you can see I was a little hot on this one, so I pulled up a little just before the runway to bleed a little speed off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eKQzfswPQ&list=UUJ5YzMVKEcFBUk1llIAqK3A
Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM
JustFlyIt

Finally, I took my Reaction and the above suggestions to the field tonight. Three great flights and landings. I was at idle by the time I cross the threshold and was able to slowly coast it in to a great landing each time. I have to admit though I put it up eight mistakes high and went full house idle with flaps and gear to convince myself that it wouldn't fall out of the sky. No problems. Now its time to get a few more flights under my belt to cement the lesson.

Don (DRS)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM
JohnVH

a kadet senior with a turbine is what I call this baby. haha.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 PM
JustFlyIt

Yep, I am pretty sure that my future turbine warbird will not be landing the same way.

But I really do like the Reaction; its looks pretty quick at full speed flying low across the flight line!.

Last edited by JustFlyIt; 07-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are making me mad that I don't have an R54 in flying condition right now. Mad at myself, of course.

John, I know you are good on the sticks. But your R54 is flying so smoothly I'm wondering if you have some gyros installed. What's the scoop?

I will throw the question out there for everybody... Has anybody tried a gyro (or gyros) on the R54?

Bruce
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 PM
TommyWatson

Default gyros

I am thinking about it seriously for my new reaction. I use the eagle tree 3 axis gyro on some of myt smaller electric models.

Of topic a bit but I am putting together a PST reaction for a friend and I am using bruce's instructions. makes the job very easy. Thanks bruce.

regards
Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 AM
JustFlyIt

Never thought about gyros because the Reaction is really smooth in the air. On the other hand I fly large scale WWI planes most of the time so I am probably not the best of judges. Compared to those, everything is really smooth in the air.

Don
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM
JohnVH

Originally Posted by BruceTharpe
You guys are making me mad that I don't have an R54 in flying condition right now. Mad at myself, of course.

John, I know you are good on the sticks. But your R54 is flying so smoothly I'm wondering if you have some gyros installed. What's the scoop?
Bruce
No sir, no gyros, just my fingers Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
as722

I've had a few jets but my first jet was a reaction 54 and I miss it more than any other plane I've ever had. Something about the reaction that just brings back memories, it's simple and it works. Not a scale jet but just a simple model plane that flies extremely well. I will build another one soon.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Bruce....

When will the new batch be ready?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I asked my good buddy Chuck to pick up another Reaction kit for me from the next batch. This will be my third one! No, I did not trash the previous ones. They were sold to guys that just " needed to have that plane" ...and I keep regretting it after the plane is gone. So, #3 will be built as light as possible with electric retracts, and powered by a Kingtech K60. The plane is such a joy to fly at any field and wind condition. I too have been playing around with the EagleTree Guardian and really like flying my birds in the 3D set up. I fly in winds that most guys wold not even dream about!
Now...to think of a new color scheme????

Bruce...keep sprinkling that magic powder on those Reaction kits you make!

Dean W.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM
BruceTharpe

Thanks Dean, that means a lot coming from you. For those that don't know, Dean has been a major force in the turbine community for as long as I can remember, particularly in Canada and the Northwest US. And he has been my turbine hero/guru since I started, so you can understand how a compliment from a guy like that makes me feel. Would love to get a new R54 kit in your hands as soon as possible.

That leads me to Tony's question about when the new batch will be ready. Simple answer is I don't know for sure. Right now I'm waiting for balsa and retracts. Robart tells me it will be 5-6 weeks for the retracts. Obviously, that does not keep me from selling kits, but I would prefer to have them in stock for customers so they can be shipped together. My balsa supplier is still looking at a couple of weeks, at least, before they receive their next shipment. In the meantime, I have cut all the plywood parts and working on updating the plans. My best guess is that it will be at least a month before kits are ready to ship. Sorry for the long answer and long delay, but there are certain things that aren't under my control. It will all come together eventually.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 AM
JustFlyIt

I have learned my lesson from the guys that don't have theirs anymore - I am keeping mine! Even after I get my turbine warbird. The simplicity of the design and flight characteristics make it the perfect sport flyer. And boy is it tough. I would be embarrassed for any of you to see some of the landings that I put that poor thing through.

Next up for the R54 is winglets and smoke. If no other projects are on the table I am going fiberglass with a custom paint job.

Last edited by JustFlyIt; 07-11-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 AM
JustFlyIt

Ok, I have a new video. I am pretty please with the flight for the most part with the exception of the landing. Everything went great and the landing was almost great until I neglected to flare at the end...plop.

Is an awesome flyer.

Video is a little dorked up though. Tried YouTube stabilization. Not going to do that again and will be fixing it.

Don

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYf9okFKKjc
Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Bruce, any update on the kits being ready?

Jeff
Old 09-27-2014, 09:26 PM
BruceTharpe

Hi Jeff,

Well, I'm almost there! All parts are cut except ribs and wingtips. Robart informed me they would finally be shipping my retracts either late last week or early next week (my money is on next week - I'm not the only slow manufacturer involved here). So the goal at BTE is to finish all the parts next week and email the "official" announcement that the R54 is back in stock next weekend. Will also announce it here and on my website.

I was pleased to learn that the Du-Bro 60 oz. fuel tank will fit in the model as designed (no modifications necessary). So instead of the 50 oz. tank that has come with the kit in the past, the kit will now come with a 60 oz fuel tank. The kit will also include a 10% discount coupon for Dreamworks RC.

So hang in there... I'm really excited and eager to get this kit back on the market. Would love to see a nice batch of new R54s taking to the skies come next Spring (or sooner!).
Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 AM
lumpy649
My Feedback: (75)

Hey Bruce,
any updates as to the release date?
thanks,
gary
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 AM
BruceTharpe

Hi Gary, I'm updating and printing the instruction manual right now, that's why I saw your post so quickly. Also need to make a couple of tweaks to the plans and have them printed. Just got word from Robart that they are shipping my retracts today. Still finishing up ribs. As usual, everything takes longer than I think it will, but progress is made every day. Wish there was a better way to "show" how much effort is going into these kits - from outside BTE it must appear that nothing's happening. But this is a pretty big kit and I want all my ducks in a row before releasing it. I know, I slipped on the release date since my last post, but it's pretty safe to say that kits will begin shipping next week. Thanks for your patience!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a R54, RTF, in a custom paint scheme, with a Wren 54SS installed. Flies great, but I am looking to get a newer jet and want to sell it, if someone in this thread is looking for one. Never crashed or damaged. It was painted by Don Yockey in a red / gray 1950's era scheme. It is a weekend flier, so just buy it, bind it, and fly it. It was one of the original ARF kits purchased from BTE. So the plane is composite, with fiberglass fuel tanks.
Contact me if interested.

Last edited by DocYates; 10-14-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added
Old 10-14-2014, 11:31 AM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

What updates have you made to the kit/plans?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM
lumpy649
My Feedback: (75)

Originally Posted by BruceTharpe
Hi Gary, I'm updating and printing the instruction manual right now, that's why I saw your post so quickly. Also need to make a couple of tweaks to the plans and have them printed. Just got word from Robart that they are shipping my retracts today. Still finishing up ribs. As usual, everything takes longer than I think it will, but progress is made every day. Wish there was a better way to "show" how much effort is going into these kits - from outside BTE it must appear that nothing's happening. But this is a pretty big kit and I want all my ducks in a row before releasing it. I know, I slipped on the release date since my last post, but it's pretty safe to say that kits will begin shipping next week. Thanks for your patience!
No rush Bruce, I'm sure that I'm not the only one following this thread that prefer to have things right rather than be a beta tester for some other unnamed aircraft companies. And "Thank You very much for the update.
Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.