Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mig - 21

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mig - 21

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 06:37 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Mig - 21

Anyone know of a kit or plans for a Mig 21?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2002, 12:15 AM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mig - 21

I know that Chris Patterson from Australia built and flown a few Mig21s. It was at the 4th JWM but encountered problems and didn't fly. The Mig 21 is 1/9 scale and used SimJet 2300 turbine with very ingenious retract system and full scale cockpit. I was fortunated to have one of the prototype and can post some pictures here. (I have to get to another computer)

Try to contact Kevin Dodd at TAMC, he will have more info as I don't have Chris Patterson's email.
Kevin's email: [email protected]

I know that they even have the soft mould for this bird. Very good looking. Will fly very good if you can keep the weight down. Chris's Mig21 was a bit heavy and had very high wing loading making it very tricky to fly. But it flies very well with 10kg thrust.

B777
Old 08-27-2002, 12:26 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Mig - 21

Yves (of DL models) had one a few years back he was planning on kitting. I wonder what happened to it. It would be a great kit for a '54" class turbine.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:46 AM
B777

Default Mig - 21

please...more info here about Mig21 for 12lbs class turbine..very interesting.

B777
Old 08-27-2002, 03:31 AM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

Default Mig - 21

Tom,
I wrote to Yves about the Mig about a month ago (great minds...). He said "it is not available"
I'm looking over here for one as well. It's getting cooler here. Maybe I should start carving some foam.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:59 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mig-21

Hi,

A very interesting plane indeed but one has to solve the problem of the retracts system with the wheel going 90 degrees against the axis of the main strut. It means that the wheel has to remain vertical inside the fuselage until it retracts down.

Also I noticed that the front wheel retracts in a very confined space within the bifurcated intake.

Moreover, the Mig-21 had a very thin wingrib profile.

I wonder how our Aussie friends managed to tackle these problems.

I am sure that one would be rewarded with a wonderful plane once the teething trouble are solved.

To wet your apettite I am enclosing a scale drawing of the PF version. I am limited to the space allocation on rcu.

Hope someone would tackle this wonderful subject.

Regards

Reuben Saliba
Malta (Europe)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23268_3500.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	14406  
Old 08-27-2002, 11:23 PM
rolln_thndr
My Feedback: (1)

Default 3-views, cross-sections (These are not plans)

If anyone is interested, I found some good drawings of a Mig-21 that has cross-sections on it. If anyone is considering starting from scratch, let me know and I can send you a copy. It has 6 different models on it.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:20 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Drawings

Sounds interesting. I'll take a copy. Send your email and I'll get in touch.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mig 21

I have a Mig 21 kit that is FG and Foam. It is I believe an English kit amnd I bought it on ebay. It is setup for prop but looks like it could be converted over to a ram 500.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:17 AM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mig 21

If memory serves me correctly, DL Aero here in Canada had one some time ago. You may want to ask them??
http://www.dlaero.com/

Hope this helps cause I could be wrong!
Myles
Old 08-29-2002, 12:55 AM
DLAERO

Default Mig - 21

You are right about the gears, Reuben, but I could work it out so they operate as the scale ones. They are retracting 30 deg. forward and the wheel pivot by 90 deg. at the end of the oleo so it can fit in the fuselage sides, vertically!

I stopped working on the design because there was no retracts available on the market, needing strong units, 95 deg. mains and 110 deg. for the nose gear. Of course, my nose gear is scale and I have all the tooling to produce the casted parts.

Good news! Robart is working on getting me a set of 550 Mighty to fit the Mig 21. Once I get them, I will get it down from the ceiling, remove the dust, drop the P-80 in and go fly! By next spring, I should be complete with the kit engineering and I will decide if I go into production.

It flew very well on DF and .91. It is 84" long, 40" span. and weighted 15 1/2 pounds. It is the F-13 version.

Yves Duchesneau
DL Aeromodeles inc.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:12 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Mig - 21

Yves,

there you are! Which model was your's based on. I just remember it being sleek and trim... where as john carlsons had the larger longer 'razorback' and looked more like a tank.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:45 AM
DLAERO

Default Mig-21

It is the F-13.

the Mig-21 is extremely well documented and there are many versions.

I hve many books about it but the best one is from Aerofax, written by Yefin Gordon & Bill Gunston, 8 1/2 x 11, 144 pages. tons of good pics and all the 3 views.

I also visited Dayton one year from my way back from Superman and spent a few hours around the Mig-21. You can't see it in the museum, you have to ask at the front door and they will allow you to drive all the way around the airport, in some hangars at the back. There is a Mig-21 F in there and you can get very close. the guy at the door even brought me a portable ladder so I can climb and give a look inside the cockpit. One very interesting thing is that the front intake is a single piece of sheet metal, rolled to the form of the fuselage. I could not see how far deep in side it is like that but it is at least 3 feet long, where the inside of the ducting is actually the outside of the fuselage, it is the same piece of metal!!!

The russians don't care how nice it is...but what an efficient design this airplane is.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:07 AM
rolln_thndr

Default Mig - 21

Yves,

Would this be a turbine only kit or would you offer a fan model as well?
Old 08-29-2002, 03:31 AM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

Default Mig - 21

Yves,
I glad you are moving ahead with the Mig. I'll be pestering you from time to time for an update.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:05 PM
B777

Default Mig - 21

This is my Mig 21..same moulds as Chris Patterson's Mig at the 4th Jet Master. I have his unique and one of a kind retract system. Very nice...but need time to prep it to fly. She has flown nicely with 10kg thrust turbine.

B777
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23518_11884.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	14407  
Old 08-29-2002, 04:09 PM
DLAERO

Default Mig-21

If I ever come out with a Mig-21 kit, it will sure be turbine powered, not DF.

The market for new DF airplane kit is simply not there. The costs associated with the tooling and manufacturing are too high to release new DF products. Sorry. Maybe in a couple years from now, if there is a come back to the older DF technology, the kit manufacturers will rethink their products but for now, the market is towards turbine powered airplanes.

Yves D.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Mig - 21

I am also a MiG-21 fan. I took some photos of one recently, and concur the MLG installation would be difficult, unfortunately. It looks like some dedicated modellers were able to do it though! We need to fill the skies with MiGs in order to take on the BVM Phantom squadrons out there!
Old 08-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mig - 21

I too am a nut about the 21. B777, more photos please! It looks awesome!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:07 PM
DavidR

Default Mig - 21

Originally posted by Ron S
I am also a MiG-21 fan. I took some photos of one recently, and concur the MLG installation would be difficult, unfortunately. It looks like some dedicated modellers were able to do it though! We need to fill the skies with MiGs in order to take on the BVM Phantom squadrons out there!

PHANTOMS RULE THE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 08:04 PM
BernieG

Default Re: Mig-21

Hello Yves, bonjour !

Just curious, where do you find proper informations to duplicate retracts cinematic ? From a 3 views only ?

There is a few planes that I think could make very good models, but I have no ideas where to find proper documentation on the retracts. As an example, I am thinking Mirage f1 and Sepecat Jaguar. Alphajet fall in the same category (Small inlets, but..).

Bernard
Old 08-30-2002, 08:26 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drawings

Hello Bernard,

I think I can help you with the drawings of some of those planes.

With regards to the Mirage F1 I believe there was a write-up of a kit that was made some time back. With regards to the Jaguar I can visualise two problems with this plane...namely the landing gear retraction system and the differing positions of the inlet and outlet ductings...otherwise a very nice plane. In the case of the, Alphajet I reckon that one has to power the plane with two small (?) turbines in which case then one would look at other subjects which might be more feasible than this jet. Again..if one is going scale, the retraction system and location of the gear makes it also a difficult (at least for me) subject to bring to fruition.

Anyway...if you wish my email address is:

[email protected]

Regards

Reuben Saliba
Malta (Europe)
Old 08-30-2002, 09:37 PM
BernieG

Default Re: Drawings

Originally posted by F86_SABRE
With regards to the Mirage F1 I believe there was a write-up of a kit that was made some time back.
Hi Reuben

Yes, sometime ago there was a paper from a guy in New Zealand (if I remember well) doing a mirage F1, and he was intending to make a kit, but never heard anything since then. At the time of this article, he was not having a scale mecanism for the landing gear.

With regards to the Jaguar I can visualise two problems with this plane...namely the landing gear retraction system and the differing positions of the inlet and outlet ductings...otherwise a very nice plane. In the case of the, Alphajet I reckon that one has to power the plane with two small (?) turbines in which case then one would look at other subjects which might be more feasible than this jet. Again..if one is going scale, the retraction system and location of the gear makes it also a difficult (at least for me) subject to bring to fruition.

Anyway...if you wish my email address is:

I know the retracts are a problem, but they are even more a problem if you don't have a documentation on them ! ;-) It's the only way to know if it's doable, (maybe with some headaches, but doable), or not .

Thanks anyway, I may contact you by email sometime later.

Bernard
Old 08-31-2002, 02:53 AM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mig - 21

Gentlemen,

The article in RCJI on the Mirage F1 was authored by Henk Oosthuizen from South Africa. I have met Henk on two of my trips to RSA, and I took back 2 of his F1 kits with me on the first trip, and 2 of his F-86 kits with me on the 2nd.

Let me tell you this, his Mirage F1 is 1:7.5 EXACT scale, and the finest (and only) Mirage F1 kit you will ever find. The quality of the glass work is world class and his craftmanship is impressive. Oh year, and the price is very nice too.....$650. I have video footage of this jet flying with an AMT Mercury under the hood, and it is too real to believe (if you have had the joy of seeing the full scale F1 in action!)

Henk is very busy this year with work commitments and has quit the kit-making business for this year until the demands of his job settle down. Maybe next year the F1 kit will be available again?

As for scale documentation on the F1, I have a lot of it. I am a big F1 fan and wrote directly to Dassault Aviation in Paris. THe result was better than I could have dreamed for.....1/10th scale 3-views and fusleage x-sections. I also got in touch with people in Spain (CASA) and RSA (Atlas Aircraft), both companies build/maintain Mirage F1s, for further details/drawings of the aircraft and it's landing gear. I actually made a lot of progress on a 1:6.8 Mirage F1, but like Henk, work and family commitments brought the project to a halt. Also, with Henk's Mirage F1 kit already available I decided to just build his instead.

Henk is working on scale gear for his F1 kits, but this will take some time. I plan to work with Ed Dobias of RcCrafters to get some gear for mine.

Later,
Peter
Old 09-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Falconmod

Default MiG-21's Rule

The Mig-21 is one of the coolest jets out there, I just wish I had more time to work on mine, I need to remold it to put a hatch in it and make the MF version's spine part of the fuselage. I was planning on making a 9 foot version for the larger turbines but my new twin boys have put a hold on that for a while. my second 21 is about 75% done. The orginal 85" version. I was hoping to have it at Superman this year but that won't happen either. Now I just bump into it in my work shop.

John Carlson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.