RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Enforcer

Old 10-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Strykaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Turbine Enforcer

Thx warbird. Maybe you could just add this post into the right thread ? It is more suitable for the thread reader
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 PM
joeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strykaas,
Good effort to try to sort out the real story. I posted the same question on the RC Jets List and didn't get a good answer.

I'm an ME with no aeronautical background. Since F=PxA my first impression was that holes would reduce the effectiveness of a speed brake. Since brakes are deployed at an angle to the direction of travel that loss of effectiveness could be minimal. Obviously you could take it to an extreme if you had too many holes and not much air brake left. I suspected the holes had more to do with reducing turbulence and/or lift.

I'd like to know the real answer from an acknowledged expert. As is typical in these forums you get various opinions and have difficultly knowing who to believe. If it really does increase air brake effectiveness I'll get out my drill.

Joe
Old 10-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Strykaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Obviously you could take it to an extreme if you had too many holes and not much air brake left.
It also seems obvious to me that the number of holes and their diameters have an impact on their efficiency. One single tiny hole vs. one very big hole won't yield the same results... You could perhaps jumb on the "car test" that I described in the other thread ?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Jetset

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Still got a long way to go but it's starting to come along nicely but well, thought I would post my first build pics.
re: speed brake. Do you guys think the speed brake is "really" necessary? If i do install one, do I recess it into the bottom so as to keep the bottom smooth or leave just laying against the bottom?
The third pic is the Enforcer sitting beside of the fuse of a 150% Enforcer. That's another project i want to try to finish soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92050.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	595526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28158.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	595527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45786.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	595528  
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 AM
joeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Myles,
Lookin good!
I was wondering how you planned on mounting your turbine. You will need some structure in the rear to support the turbine weight. I installed a couple of hardwood pieces in the back for the turbine mount to bolt through. Also I installed a couple of extra wing spars for additional strength. About 6" from the trailing edge the stringers also provide a rigid surface for the servo mounts. If you look carefully at the pictures in post #1 and post #14 you will see what I am talking about. In post #14 you can see that I penciled an "E" and an "R" where the elevator and rudder servos will go.

Quote:
re: speed brake. Do you guys think the speed brake is "really" necessary? If i do install one, do I recess it into the bottom so as to keep the bottom smooth or leave just laying against the bottom?
I'm glad I installed a speed brake and use it all the time for landing unless there is a good headwind. It helps keep the landing speed down. This plane will weigh twice as muck as a stock Enforcer and 3 lbs. heavier than my DF Enforcer. My initial speed brake was 1 3/4 X 6" recessed into the bottom. Since that wasn't large enough I later added a 2 X 10" piece of aluminum that bolts to the original brake and lays flush against the bottom.

Joe
Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 AM
AAbdu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks great!
Keep us posted on both.
Anthony
Old 01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
AAbdu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know that this is a little off topic, but:

Has anyone here tried this plane? Do you think it could be converted to Byron / OS 91 power in a similar fashion as the Enforcer?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=249940

I was thinking about tilting the fins in and making other cosmetic changes to bash my Enforcer into a pseudo SR-71 but this might be an interesting alternative way to go.

Anthony
Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Jetset

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Joe!
Oh absolutely regarding the beefing up the structure for the turbine!
What I'm doing next is laying in 1/8" plywood to make a sort of "sub" floor from the end of the fuse to the back. Similar to the plywood floor in the DF version.
The turbine is going to be mounted on a pedestal type of arrangement, similar to a Roo. What you see in the pictures there is my turbine mount just sitting on top of some old tooling.
I still have more spars to add plus i hope to have the servo boxes made later tonight.
Hmmm, looks like I should start thinking about a speed brake too. Does yours deploy 90 degrees to the bottom of the fuse when extended or just as straight down as it will go?
Myles
Old 01-12-2007, 01:45 PM
joeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Myles,
I added the speed brake as an after-thought when I was well in to the construction. The way I have it laid out it deploys to about 60-70 degrees. 2X10" is a good size, of course if you could deploy it as far as 90 degrees you might be able to make it slightly smaller. If I were doing it over again I'd use one servo mounted just in front of the fuel tank to control it.

Joe
Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Jetset

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another question. Should I go with just Elevons or do the aileron and elevator setup? I suppose if I went with elevons I could keep the TE that's immediatley behind the turbine flat so it won't raise up close the the turbine exhaust?
What's the handling difference between the two?

Myles
Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 AM
joeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's really personal preference. I have four flying surfaces because I prefer the redundancy. If a servo fails on a single elevon the plane will crash. With more control surfaces you at least have a chance of landing it with a failed servo.

Mine is set up with separate ailerons and elevators. I split the elevator in the middle to keep it away from the exhaust. I helped a friend build one and he also has four control surfaces but has them programed as elevons (both halves move together). I have flown his and it doesn't handle any differently.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Db84614.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	598462  
Old 01-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Woketman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did the four independant surfaces all working as elevons for redundancy. Always worked great!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Jetset

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool, I was actually going to way of the four surfaces for redundancy as well and just wanted to see what others have done.
Thanks guys
Myles
Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
LADDIE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just came across this site. It is great to see modelers took my design and change and improve it. When I designed the model it was suppose to be relatively fast but gentle flying delta. I never dreamed that they would be flown at the speeds some of them are flying. I have only two suggestions. It would be safer to split the control surfaces to more then two for elevons. I like what Joe did. Last year I lost 60” twin delta powered by MVVS 6.5 ccm racing engines. The elevons started flutter when diving and then parted the company. They were large and now I know, not stiff enough.
Second suggestion is, when flying from grass, extend the nose gear by 1”or more so the model sits at slightly positive angle. Taller the grass, longer the nose gear. This will help with shortening the takeoff run. This is no good for smooth surface. You need to have wing level or slightly negative to the surface. Otherwise when nose wheel touches the runway the air under the wing will lift the nose and might bounce back into the air. This is specially pronounced when there is headwind.
Good luck.
Laddie Mikulasko
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tr51448.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	656760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42138.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	656761  
Old 04-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Brian B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really like my Enforcer. I put a Jett 76 in it, and added Robart retracts. I split the elevator and use a servo on each half. The elevons each have their own servo. It is not as fast as I thought it would be, but climbs straight up forever at a good rate of speed. And it looks great in the air, especially with the gear tucked up.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Strykaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Laddie. Does your comments also apply to the Force One ? I guess so ... By the way, I have an issue with a Force One kit regarding landing gear location. Would you mind helping me out ? See

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43.../anchor/tm.htm

Thank you !
Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
LADDIE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The main landing gear is suppose to be bent forward as per original RCM plans.
Laddie.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Strykaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK Laddie, thanks !

You mean that Balsa USA modified the plans ??
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM
oneaew@msn.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

does anyone know where i can get the plans for the ducted fan houseing to go on the enforcer thank you allen oneaew@msn .com
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
oneaew@msn.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi do you or any one know where i can get the plans for the fan houseing for a enforcer thanks allen oneaew@msn.com
Old 04-17-2009, 07:15 AM
b.bixel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flying Models Magazine has the plans (CF939) @ http://www.flying-models.com/
Old 04-17-2009, 07:21 AM
oneaew@msn.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the enfo ill send to day for them i have 2 enforcers os91 engs> goes very good happy flying to you allen
Old 04-18-2009, 03:50 PM
oneaew@msn.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the info do you know of any one who has a byron fan eng mt fan blade for sale>it will be around xmas time be for i can get a turbine thank you allen
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
oneaew@msn.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi my name is allen iam looking for a bryon fan set up do you know of any one who wants to sell theres thanks allen
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
oneaew@msn.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi my name is allen do you have any ducted fan the houseing fan blade engine mt for os 91 eng to sell thanks allen

Search this Thread