Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Duralite Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Duralite Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 09:46 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Duralite Batteries

A few months ago there was a big discussion on the other RC Forum about Duralite Batteries and where to get them. I think the final outcome was that the chargers were readily available but the batteries themselves were not being made anymore.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? I would like to pick up a battery for my transmitter but if they are not going to make them anymore I don't want to get stuck with a useless charger that is not good for anything except duralites.

Assistance needed.

Patrick.

p.s. the reason I put this in the jet forum is that a large number of people in the jet community use these batteries.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:54 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Patrick,
My understanding is that the batteries were made (custom) for a particular customer who cancelled the order, so the existing batteries were sold and no more were produced. I imagine when the supply is gone, that will be it.
As far as the charger only being good for the duralites, I'm not sure.

Don't know if I told you anything you didn't already know, but I hope it helps.

George
Old 12-18-2001, 10:01 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey patrick,

Nice to see ya made it here! Well...The last I heard about the duralite battery is that one of the components that is used in the process to make them is not being produced any more. There was only one company producing this component and I believe they own the patent on it. For some reason they have halted production which means no duralites will be available once supply dries up. I have not done research in this though, just what I have heard. You should be able to get plenty of flight time on NiMH batts, if you need to replace your transmitter batts, I suggest going that route.

Todd
Old 12-19-2001, 02:50 AM
GeorgeR
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Patrick,

To the best of my knowledge, lithium ion batteries are no longer in production and are relatively hard to find. Lithium Metal Ion (I think that is right) is the new technology that is replacing these batteries. Having said that, I would go with Nickel Metal Hydrides for your transmitter. You can obtain 1500 mah packs from www.batterystore.com at reasonable prices and no special charger is necessary. I had Lithiums in my Bandit but switched back to Nicads for reliability reasons. The failure mode for Lithium is not well know, over discharge one time and they are trash, no way to ascertain if a pack is starting to failure i.e., no effective way to cycle them, accidental misuse could generate some pretty explosive results, no pun intended. The new generation of nicads and nickel metal hydrides are pretty energy dense cells.

Cya,

George Rada
Old 12-19-2001, 01:34 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Duralites

Thanks for everyone who responded. I think I will stick with my trusty NICADS and NIMH packs. I have had great success with NiMh packs for my receivers, so I think I will trade my transmitters nicad pack for nimh and see how that works.

Patrick.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Duralites

i either use Duralites or NiCd these days .. i have had too many problems with NiMh .. inconsistent charges, short life spans, and worse of all, i have recently had one blow up inside a jet ( fortunately on the ground ) about 30 min after being charged ( at 1/2 C ) .... just too much trouble for not that much weight savings over NiCd ..

Voy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35046.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	600077  
Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

I'm using Duralites for my ECU battery, was wondering what else is available to replace it if they're not being made any longer.
A 4 amp, 11.1 volt nicad weighs a lot!
I went to their website and it looks like they're listing all their batteries.
Jon
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Duralites are alive and kicking well ... great batteries ... the new LiMag batteries look awesome !!

Voy