Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Voice activating switches

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Voice activating switches

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:13 PM
kiwijet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice activating switches

Hi Guys

I've been flying jets down here in New Zealand for a few years now and have trouble activating retract and flap switches (don't we all)

Was wondering if anyone has had experience voice activating Tx switches either directly or via an Ipod or similar running a Windows based voice recog software package.

Now before you condemn me to the loony bin I should explain that I'm a C6 Tetraplegic which confines me to a wheelchair and most importantly robbed me of the functional use of my fingers.
Whilst this does'nt stop me competently flying my jets it sure makes trying to feel my way around the JR 10X difficult, and as you can imagine I'm not to keen taking my eyes off the model when its doing mach heaps!!

Any suggestions/help guys would be very appreciated.

Cheers............Rene
Old 01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Mike James

Default RE: Voice activating switches

If you use a noise-cancelling microphone, to avoid interference from surrounding noise, the concept isn't so far-fetched. Both Windows and Mac have good enough speech recognition to recognize simple phrases like "Gear down", "Flaps up", etc.. The trouble would be the interface to your transmitter. I'm sure it could be done, but I don't personally know how to wire it.

This is interesting. If someone will help you build the device, we might all be interested in the future. Maybe an RC manufacturer will take the lead, by building in some simple software, and a microphone input. I hope someone helps you accomplish this.

The important thing is the noise-cancelling microphone. You don't want the scenario of someone walking up to you and saying "Man, I just can't get my "GEAR UP", and watching your plane collapse onto the runway. It's probably best to have a "push to talk" button on the system, so it only listens when you're pushing the button.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:43 AM
timrob

Hi Rene,

Sorry to hear of your situation, it would be great if you could get this off the ground. From the computer side, the whole speech recognition part would be easy. You could use a notebook or even a Pocket Pc device (like a PDA), which has bluetooth or WIFI, but you would have to check out the interference.

I am sure you could get some electronics whiz to get the Pocket PC or notebook to "talk" to your JR 10X via bluetooth or WIFI, thus you would say "Throttle" and the Tx would move up a notch on the Throttle.

What I would suggest is to take the idea to a university, some are into projects just like this. Someone might like to take the idea on as a final project. Mike James is correct too about the noise canceling mic or switch, although switches are what you want to get away from. The other place to look would be those people who are into battlebots etc. They are great at electronics and radios, computers etc.

An interesting concept, which I am sure would not take too much to put together. Hope you get your idea off the ground so to speak.

Tim
Old 01-04-2005, 12:59 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are now single chip voice recognition solutions for low cost embedded applications, even toys.

We have been experimenting with the products from http://www.sensoryinc.com

They have a 150 dollar development board that could probably be made into decent voice activated "smart switch". The chips themselves are very inexpensive in volume.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:47 AM
BMT

Rene,
I have only admiration for what you are doing. I have use of all my fingers and I can tell you I have wished for the same voice switches sometimes myself. Finding your way around a JR TX can be frustrating! I would follow Matt's lead and go for the product he mentioned. I would suggest you contact a local electronics/software guru than could assist you. My own thoughts around this is to have a speech act menu with a voice feedback confirmation of commands, at least until you can trust a bunch of electronics to have some control over your Jet.
Good luck
Andre Baird
Old 01-04-2005, 02:52 AM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Futaba 14MZ transmitter operates on a Windows CE operating system. I wonder if this radio can be programmed with voice activated software to actuate switches, knobs, sliders, etc.?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:02 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember seeing a speech recognition device for the Graupner MC24 some time ago...You may want to look into that with a Graupner dealer

Jack G. Diaz
Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Zagiflyer576

ORIGINAL: HotelSierra

The new Futaba 14MHZ transmitter operates on a Windows CE operating system. I wonder if this radio can be programmed with voice activated software to actuate switches, knobs, sliders, etc.?
yep, it already comes with the feature built it...this would be the easiest way to solve your problem, but also the most expensive. eh, $2100 isnt to bad for a radio ::cough::cough::
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I understood the new Futaba 14 was that it would relay a voice message back to you when it was programmed to do so. For instance, You program it to tell you "Gear Up" when the gear up switch is selected. I did not think it would respond to voice commands.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Zagiflyer576

o0o, ok. tower needs to be a little more specific in their ads, they have the 14mz in their new tower talk.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:34 PM
kiwijet

Hi Guys

Thankyou all very much for your good advice and support.

As I'm up to my neck in JR equipment a change to Futaba would be difficult, I've been flying JR gear since 1979........I'm kinda in love with it))

Tim your idea of approaching a university is a great idea and seeing I have a very good one (Massey) right on my doorstep I'll go knocking on doors as soon as the new semester starts. Actually my son in laws dad is a food technology professor there.........better still!!!

I'll keep the list posted as to what happens, as I'm sure you don't have to have a "disability" to get frustrated by Tx switches)))

Thanks again

Rene
Old 01-04-2005, 02:44 PM
kiwijet

Matt

Many thanks for that link to sensory, looks like a good source for the guts of the system!

Cheers.........Rene