Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I gotta know!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I gotta know!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
gmeister
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I gotta know!!

I now have a turbine airplane and need a 5 gallon fuel can to fill from. Jeresy modeler has one but it is $239!!!?????????????
I went to the farm barn and paid $7.50 for a blue kero 5 gallon can. Is the fuel pump that good on the Jeresy can?
What am I missing here?

Gary
Old 01-18-2005, 01:00 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: I gotta know!!

it is everything you get with it. you can save money by doiing it yourself, but it is a nice option to get it all in one box ready to go. the funnel, the low boy jug, the jr connections, all the fittings and filters, and the pump. i was going to go diy, and just ordered one with all the other stuff i had on the table to do.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

The Jersey modeler tanks are convienient, but I used a 5 gallon jug with a fuel pump from a chev pickup($30 new). The pump is the submersive kind that goes in the tank. It works fine with an old Simjet Nicad pack for power. The only thing is that its one direction. You cant drain the fuel from you jet.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Jersey has a great setup and you will see a bunch of them at any jet meet you go to. If you do a search here you will find a lot of satisfied customers!

That said, I also bought a blue 5 gallon kero can and use a Kavan pump. I run it on 6v to 7.2v, depending upon which pack is charged at the time. Have run over 30 gallons through it with no leaks. Other guys have had problems with the Kavan leaking after a while.

You get your money's worth with Jersey but there are less expensive ways to go.

Check out this recent thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23...tm.htm#2304559
Old 01-18-2005, 01:11 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

It's the $161.50 funnel filter :-)

$239.00 - $70.00 fuel pump and - $7.50 5 gallon fuel jug = $161.50

Dreamworks R/C just started selling a fuel pump very similar to what the Jersey modelor tanks come with for $70

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=492

All you would need to do is get a battery, a two direction switch, some fuel fittings, filters and tygon fuel line and you're in business.

Probably everything for about $100...

Cheers,
Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How much is your time worth to put it all together like Jersey does? It's all a matter of what you want to spend.. time or money.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM
gmeister

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

How much is your time worth to put it all together like Jersey does? It's all a matter of what you want to spend.. time or money.
I give myself a big discount when charging for my time

Im a DIY "expert/hack" so I will go that way.
Thanks
Now I know!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:27 PM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

I did the same as you and bought a couple of blue 5 gallon containers from Home depot, then bought the DIY kit from Tam for $130. His kit includes everything.......pump, switch, tubing, filters, 3300mAh NiCd, etc....

It took me all of 15 minutes to drill a couple of holes in the container and mount everything. At my billing rate of $50/hr, it worked out pretty cheap!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 PM
pilott34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built my own Jersey Modeler replica for $60...including the sheet metal pump mounts. I made a thread in a different forum...I think it was under questions or tips and techniques. Do a search...it has a complete parts list, where to get the parts and the total cost. It also has pics.

Mike
Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 PM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: gmeister

I now have a turbine airplane and need a 5 gallon fuel can to fill from. Jeresy modeler has one but it is $239!!!?????????????
I went to the farm barn and paid $7.50 for a blue kero 5 gallon can. Is the fuel pump that good on the Jeresy can?
What am I missing here?

Gary
Gary, I just use a simple Graylor (Florida) fluid pump model PQ-12-DC cost is $48.00 and rig up your own battery and standard plastic Home Depot fuel/kero plastic container and save some serious $$$ works awesome....dont pay more than you need too. Greylor have great customer service and will ship same day, I can highly recommend their pumps quality, after whole seasons use so far! not a single problem....

http://www.greylor.com/catalog.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50510.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	217084  
Old 01-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

""What am I missing here? ""

The girlfriend!! My gal bought me one for Christmas 2 years ago !!!

Here she is helping Hannah open here gift.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97437.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	217154  
Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: tschuy

It's the $161.50 funnel filter :-)

$239.00 - $70.00 fuel pump and - $7.50 5 gallon fuel jug = $161.50

Dreamworks R/C just started selling a fuel pump very similar to what the Jersey modelor tanks come with for $70

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=492

All you would need to do is get a battery, a two direction switch, some fuel fittings, filters and tygon fuel line and you're in business.

Probably everything for about $100...

Cheers,
Tim,
I just got the Dreamworks R/C pump. got just what was in the picture. NO instructions, no nothing, just pump. Hmmmm $70 bucks doesn't go as far as I thought!

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Your gal bought you a girlfriend for Christmas ??? AWESOME !!! I gotta print this thread out and show it to my wife ... see if I can get her to do the same
Old 01-18-2005, 09:04 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I built mine for about $50. The Sig fuel pump for $32 works well and seems to be a much better pump than the Kavan. I did leave off a battery however. The wires to the pump & switch have banana plugs to plug into the 12v battery in my flight box. Since I still fly a lot of DF's and prop planes I need that battery and always take the flight box to the field with me.

Joe
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
John Redman

Heck, I sent my wife out to get another job to support my hobby.

Anyways, by hte time you get the funnel, low boy container, and such the cost is cheaper but man Dean does such a great job in putting it together which gives me more time to spread a little glue in the shop. Do what works for you. The main goal here is to get the fuel from the jugs into the model so we can all burn some jet-a.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:54 PM
gmeister

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Here she is helping Hannah open here gift.
Damm,

Some may disagree but I like a woman(with in reasonable weight limits) in streach pants.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:12 PM
gmeister

ORIGINAL: ozcan

ORIGINAL: gmeister

What am I missing here?

Gary
Gary, I just use a simple Graylor (Florida) fluid pump model PQ-12-DC cost is $48.00 and rig up your own battery and standard plastic Home Depot fuel/kero plastic container and save some serious $$$ works awesome....dont pay more than you need too. Greylor have great customer service and will ship same day, I can highly recommend their pumps quality, after whole seasons use so far! not a single problem....

http://www.greylor.com/catalog.htm
A man after my own heart. Why pay for something if you dont have to. I just ordered a Graylor. So now I have 48.00+7.50=$55.50.
Still trying to figure out where I would spend the other $184.50. I could go hang out at the local T&A bar, possibly meet a hooker........naaaaaaaaa!!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote]
A man after my own heart. Why pay for something if you dont have to. I just ordered a Graylor. So now I have 48.00+7.50=$55.50.
Still trying to figure out where I would spend the other $184.50. I could go hang out at the local T&A bar, possibly meet a hooker........naaaaaaaaa!!!!
[/quote]

add the cost of a 9.6V nicad battery, battery box, switch, charge jack, fuel tubing & filter, brackets, funnel and screens, labor to assemble, box to ship it in, advertizing, cost to keep materials in inventory......did I forget anything? profit who works for free?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

I just used a funnel from Home Depot, 2.00, and pour the turbine oil into the 5 gal kero can. I mounted the pump, 50.00, to the side of my tool box with an old Sig power panel from the glow days. The panel already has a two way switch along with glow driver plugs and 12 volt power source. I mounted two 12 volt batteries from my old starter in the toolbox, cut a few holes and wired up the panel. I guess you can use whatever battery makes you happy. I always have my pump, toolbox and battery. Also my air compressor, funnel, 2 extra cans of turbine oil also fits in the toolbox plus its got wheels. Its not as pretty as the lowboy, but it works great and I am not transfering the 5 gallons of kero from the store can to the 5 gal Jersy can everytime. Theres many ways to do this without spending 240.00.

Sung
Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Love my Jersey. If you shop around, you can find a better price. I got mine for 189 at a jet meet from BVM.

The pump is quality. A lot of guys use the cheaper pump, but they tend to leak and you end up buying the same thing several times. The lowboy can is great -- rides in the trailer with no worries about tipping. If you are honest and really add all the parts up, including a quality pump, you really have more than 100 bucks in what you build. The funnel is great and makes mixing the oil and fuel easy.

I hesitated at first, but I got to thinking its pretty silly to obsess over 70 extra bucks for a decent fuel set-up when I have 8 grand flying around the sky that could vaporize in a crash.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:40 PM
JET FX

[/quote]

So now I have 48.00+7.50=$55.50.
[/quote]
[sm=lol.gif]
Now thats funny..........

Remember the good ol days when many modelers use to improvise with whatever they had lying about the workshop.... well as far as ECU or onboard pump battery packs go call me old fashioned I still prefer to use 7.2 v Nicad packs anyway, I only tend to use them for a season or so and replace! so I have plenty of spare older packs... in this case great still to use for fuel pumps and they also can still be fast charged at the field, plus an on/off switch and container, couple lengths of Tygon a filter etc. as far as paying someone to put it all together well ok! if you must.... still only equals no more than $80 worth in parts max (Canadian) for me anyway including the Graylor pump, most parts I already have laying about the workshop as would many others.... I would be interested to know what brand of pump that is actually being supplied on these pricy fuel rigs, pretty sure its a Graylor....
Old 01-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta agree with Marty. I have one of those same pumps I bought from McMaster-Carr and used stuff I already had for everything else. It was a LOT less than $70.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Boy, I got out way cheap. I used a free fuel jug from Tenn. jets two years ago, a Kavan pump from Hobby Lobby, $35 I think. Strapped the pump on top of the can, plug a couple wires into my field box. No switch, if I need reverse, I just swap the wires.
Or I just belly up to my buddies Jersey and it's even cheaper.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:50 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

>>>>I just swap the wires>>>

i saw a guy blow his face clean off doing that.....he just switched the wires...and made an iddy biddy spark doing it.....and boooooooooom

he survived but to this day he hand cranks everything...sorta is funny watching him crankin his butt off...but he says "you know what mick jagger says..once burned twice shy babe"

hornetdriver
Old 02-05-2005, 11:58 AM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: hornet driver

>>>>I just swap the wires>>>

i saw a guy blow his face clean off doing that.....he just switched the wires...and made an iddy biddy spark doing it.....and boooooooooom

he survived but to this day he hand cranks everything...sorta is funny watching him crankin his butt off...but he says "you know what mick jagger says..once burned twice shy babe"

hornetdriver

Why even risk getting your delicates jammed up!.... I reckon play it extra safe and use a squeeze bottle