Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A short story

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A short story

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A short story

I,ll try to keep this brief folks. Some of you may find this interesting.

A couple of days ago I decided to take the F-5 out of cold storage for a short run-up to lubricate bearings, routine service checks etc. As I am taking things out of my car to get set up, a gentleman walks over and is just kind of standing over the jet looking down at it with a puzzled look on his face. So I said, "How you doin?" He almost did'nt answer me, then he says in a low quiet tone, "Good..............Is this a jet or a ducted fan?" I replied "That thing has a minature turbine in it." He then kneeled down and looked in the tailpipes and stood back up shaking his head. "Amazing." he says.
Then he says, " I used to fly R/C before it was even R/C!" So I'm like "wow, cool." Then he goes on to say "We used to fly with rubber bands and timing, and my first radio had television tubes in it and you would press a button, once to go left, twice to go right etc etc." So I said, "that's pretty amazing you don't seem that old?" He then says, I started flying when I was 8 years old up in Canada. Then he says, "I had the first Kavan Jet Ranger and the first Byron ducted fan F-16." "All of my helicopters were flown with a 4 channel radio and no gyro." We both chuckled as we mentioned how we both flew the tail and had to learn all over again the first time we went to a show and saw people flying the nose of the helicopter. So finally I say, "What's your name??"
"Harvey Dorfman" he replies. Now I vaguely remember hearing this name in certain circles when I was flying helicopters as a kid but most I've talked to recently have never heard the name.

So then I said "If you're not in a rush, I'm going to run this thing up for a couple of minutes." I then go and get my fire extinguisher and he chuckles and says "The only time I ever remember having a fire extinguisher is when I had a four stroke." lol So up goes the trim and throttle stick and spool...........nothing.............spool......not hing. Well to my dissapointment NO PROPANE trigger (I left it in the van back at the house) So after improvising with a piece of tubing and some really cold fingers! I was able to get a little bit of propane into the tank. Once again..............Spool............silence....... ........BOOF! And the jet slowly roared to life. Harvey stood there in complete disbelief as I said "Hold your ears." He put his hands over his ears and I spooled up briefly to full throttle then back again, a short run at idle and I shut it down. He just stood there in silence with a slight grin on his face. Then he says " I've heard that they had these real jets now, but i've never seen one before."

I then began putting things away as the sun is going down and I walk back outside and see Harvey on his cellphone. "Charlie your not going to believe what I am standing in front of, a gigantic remote control jet with a real turbine engine in it!" "Yea, I'm SERIOUS! You gotta see this thing! He started it and everything." (I snapped a quick picture) After asking me a few questions about speed, duration, price etc. He puts his cellphone on speakerphone and says "this is my best friend up in Canada." His buddy then say's "how's it going..........I used to own a Cessna 172 that I bought for the same price and went just about the same speed years ago!"

We then talked a bit some more as darkness set in (while his wife waited patiently) He told me about how he used to fly all over the United States in his Mooney and has been to over 500 hobby shops and how he had flown R/C planes and helicopters in countries all over the world and had done commercials and flown for movies in Hollywood (Towering Inferno) etc, and was even invited to Japan as a guest to fly remote control. And that he still has some of his old stuff but has'nt flown or touched R/C for years. He said "I've been to that park (Markham) a couple of times over the years but I've never seen a real jet." "I think 1990 or so was the last time I ever flew a R/c model." He then showed me a small photo in his wallet and said "This is my toy these days, that's me at 17." It was a picture of this skinny kid holding up a trophy kneeling down infront of a green Chevy Nova surrounded by trophies. "I won those drag racing." He says. I still have that car, its totally restored, still has the original paint job." "Pretty cool." I replied.

As we parted ways that evening I thought a little about our conversation and went on about my evening.

The next day I'm driving to the flying field and I see a car that looks very similar to the one I saw in that picture. Sure enough it was Harvey and his wife, we chatted briefly and I took a couple pictures and we exchanged emails. "I'll send you a few pics." He said as we left. The rest of my day was pretty routine and I had pretty much almost forgotten all about the brief conversation earlier that day.

Until I logged on that evening and opened my email from a Mr. Harvey Dorfman.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35850.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	225006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65159.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	225007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89703.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	225008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23666.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	225009  
Old 02-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Default RE: A short story

[8D]

Name:	Yw68956.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	225010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28290.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	225011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53636.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	225012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89242.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	225013  
Old 02-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

[8D]

Name:	Om31900.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	225015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99942.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	225016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34610.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	225017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99314.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	225018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91400.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	225019  
Old 02-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

[8D]

Name:	Ec88541.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	225020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27058.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	225021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82110.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	225022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71104.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	225023  
Old 02-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Harvey talking to best friend in Canada trying to explain to him what the F-5 looks like.

Name:	Li20975.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	225024  
Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Harvey is 54 and lives in Ft. Lauderdale these days with his wife. I decided to post this story with his permission(he said he would be honored.) because its nice sometimes to keep in perspective how fast life goes by and how far this hobby has come for all of us, and how far away from it life can take us. The day after these pictures were taken, Harvey met me out at Markham Park so he could see a jet fly for the first time.

Harvey it was nice to have met you, sunny skies to you and yours always.

Bryce

Name:	Ge96010.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	225034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85589.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	225035  
Old 02-04-2005, 09:07 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Bryce,
I just want to thank you for posting a story that reminds us what this hobby is all about. Good to hear
Old 02-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Charlie H.
My Feedback: (38)

Bryce
Thanks for sharing that story with us , where does the time go ?

Charlie H
Old 02-04-2005, 09:30 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That futaba 8JN still looks nice.... loaded with hi-tech features , like servo reversing and dual rates!

Nice pics and story.

Enrique
Old 02-04-2005, 10:07 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

in reference to the picture of the green NOVA and to give equal time to the FORD boys, I offer a picture of one of my fords. I turn 53 next month and yes, time does pass very, very quickly. I can remember flying in Vietnam off rice patties with a single channel setup in 1971 and also back to the 50s and 60s when dad would buy the obligatory Wen-Mac U-control plastic crash 'n bash......

randy

Old 02-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: bosssman

in reference to the picture of the green NOVA and to give equal time to the FORD boys, I offer a picture of one of my fords. I turn 53 next month and yes, time does pass very, very quickly. I can remember flying in Vietnam off rice patties with a single channel setup in 1971 and also back to the 50s and 60s when dad would buy the obligatory Wen-Mac U-control plastic crash 'n bash......

randy
Very nice Randy, you guys amaze me with these cars. Being a bit of speed freak myself I can appreciate what you have done to keep examples like these on the road.

Harvey bought that Nova brand new when he was 17 and has kept it all these years (he said it sat for 28 years in his parent's garage in Canada) He then brought it to Florida about 10 years ago and for his 50th birthday bought himself an engine as a present. It now has 600hp with 390ftlbs of torque to the ground. When I asked him if he knows what the weight is, he said "sure, exactly 3000 pounds. It does the quarter mile in 11.1 and 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds." He has tried to keep everything original with the exception of the stereo (very nice CD) a couple of 12 inch subwoofers in the trunk. A/C which he added, and minor upgrades. The only thing in his trunk was his original red plastic tool box with his tools he used to work on that car since he was a kid.

He is planning on attending Florida Jets 2005 next month. He said he is going to a Nova reunion up in Lakeland that Fri, Sat and Sun, and would love to see the jet show. He said he will head over to the airport while his family goes shopping on Sunday.

I figured some might get a kick out of this story, I sure did. [8D]

Later

Bryce
Old 02-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Pegasus

Nightwalker,
WOW!! Thanks for sharing that story. I have not heard anything about Harvey since the RC helicopter fun fly's that were held in London Ontario by a fellow named Walter Knaus, probably some 25 years ago. I don't think he would remember me but he may remember my mom, she was the only female heli pilot in Canada. I am sure he would remember her, if you see him again ask if he remembers a lady pilot back in Canada 25 years ago.
Good to see him again if only in a picture.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the story, but is that a Liebetrau F-5? What retracts are you using on it? Really neat airplane, looks gorgeous, no wonder he was impressed
Regards
Old 02-05-2005, 07:34 AM
K Jorgensen
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one cool story Bryce [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-05-2005, 07:58 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

bryce
that is a cool story, i will say i have met some real nice people over
the years in this great hobby of ours
vinny
Old 02-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Woketman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will have been flying for 32 years this May. It is really rather difficult to find someone you don't like in this sport/hobby. We seem to attract the cream of humanity. Then there's guys that are even more fun than most to be around like Sean, especially when he starts showing off the rotor blade scar on the aft end of his cranial muscle!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:37 PM
matten

Great Story and pictures, Thanks.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:00 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Great story!
Old 02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

You know Bryce, the more things change the more they stay the same, huh?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:40 AM
robert440kts
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Bryce, great story man! I"ve been in this hobby for 19yrs, started when I was 13yrs old (had to call club members to come pick me up to goto the field!!), of course each one was happy to do so. It still amazes me how people act towards one another in this hobby. I was able to attend Fl Jets last year.......I was totally green to the "jet side" of this hobby at that time. Of course there were many who were willing to "take me under their wing" and answer any questions I had (I'm still learning alot by the way!!). Hope I can get to Fl this year and learn somemore. I've seen u alot on here and would like to meet u one day.......I"ve already met Johnny H. and how can u not like that guy!! I'll have to say, he's helped me quite a bit in this jet world. Once again great story......keep em flying!!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

Great post. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:14 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Bryce, that's awesome bud! It'nt killer to show this stuff off to guys that aren't aware.

Wocket, you are the queen of backhanded compliments
Old 02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Woketman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I prefer king.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:32 PM
mga

That is a great Story on Harvey, it has been a long time since we have seen each other. When you see him, ask him about his Porche Turbo. Harvey could fly anything, he was a natural. My name is Bob Forest, and I just got back into the hobby 3 years ago, quit in 77. Tell him that Carl Larson is still around, and also Steve Woloz. Would like to know if he has any intensions to coming back into the hobby. Tell him it is like riding a bike but a slower bike.
It was really nice reading. Thanks for posting.

Name:	Hc92249.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	408193  
Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM
pdmarsh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story. Thanks Bryce.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.