Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fire Extinguishers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fire Extinguishers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:16 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguishers

Where is everyone getting their fire extinguishers these days that are reasonably priced and Hazmat shipping doesn't add an additional $25 to your shipping costs?

I did a Google search and came across this site. Prices seam reasonable to me: http://www.smokesign.com/firex.html

Are there others that may be better? What bottle size/weight is recommended by the experts here?

New guy trying to make the right choices....

Cheers,

Old 03-05-2005, 09:22 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fire Extinguishers

I don't know if it is the same in the US but in the UK there are fire protection companies everywhere. They are the sort that supply businesses with extinguishers for office/workshop use.

I bought a refurbished CO2 extinguisher and picked it up about 2 miles from my house. This has the added benefit that if you use it you can get it topped up again. They will also service it for me.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I don't know if it is the same in the US but in the UK there are fire protection companies everywhere. They are the sort that supply businesses with extinguishers for office/workshop use.

I bought a refurbished CO2 extinguisher and picked it up about 2 miles from my house. This has the added benefit that if you use it you can get it topped up again. They will also service it for me.
Ditto ... I've obtained numerous fire extinguishers this way, for myself and a bunch of friends - a 5 lb CO2 bottle typically costs me $50 (up to $75 if it's a very new bottle).

If you're getting a refurbished bottle though, check what the hydro date is on it, and if it's going to need a new hydro check any time soon, factor that into the price.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:32 AM
RENO
My Feedback: (17)

Try your local fire extinguisher retail supply. Many times these people have access to units that are excess to needs and a good deal can be obtained. I bought three two and a half pounders from a fireman in Reno, for $35.00 a piece.

Skeet
Old 03-05-2005, 03:23 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look in the Yellow Pages under fire extinguishers, you might be surprised to find a fire extinguisher supply house near you.

My local guy gave me a great deal on several Halon extinguishers that were approaching their service dates. Once I explained my application (r/c modeling), he came up with a few that were not worth recharging. They looked brand new, and the shop owner said they would perform like new as long as the charge indicator remained in the green range. They just couldn't be used in their intended commercial applications without a servicing.

Tom
Old 03-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Theres a place in Bowling Green, Booth Fire & Saftey, downtown. Im not sure on the prices they have though.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:28 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Tom and everyone else. Appreciate the information.

Problem is I live in a small town which has only one fire station . So you get the idea of the available resources I have locally.

Probably go to the next "biggest" town and see what I can come up with...

Cheers,
Old 03-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

http://www.boothfireandsafety.com/
Old 03-05-2005, 04:02 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

I had the same problem. No one here carries co2 or halon for a reasonable price. Found a good deal on a co2 on ebay with a fresh hydro check and service. Cost me $35 shipped! Take a look.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:13 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Halon is going to get harder and harder to find. It has been found to damage the ozone and has or is being phased out. It is being replaced by products that are not harmful to the envirement and are more user friendly. Halon is a clean agent, however it was never intended for all the uses that it is associated with in today's world. If used out doors, given the correct condition's (wind direction) halon can be completly ineffective, yet still very expensive to get refilled, if refilling is even possible. Halon extinguishers were designed to suppliment halon fire systems installed in high tech computer rooms. Carbon Dioxide is still available and no where near the cost of halon to refill, however the cylinders that carbon dioxide are stored in do require additional testing. They must be hyrdo tested every 5 years or they cannot be refilled. Once tested they are good for 5 more years. Carbon dioxide extinguishers are typically sold by the pound, 5, 10, and 15. Hope some of this help's and Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-06-2005, 12:04 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Same company that fills your KEG CO2! They'll have them or know where to get them cheap. I paid around 60 bucks for a used one.

Sean
Old 03-06-2005, 07:50 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Used 15 pounder $68....refilled and certified.