Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 9C programing?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 9C programing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:19 PM
tcblr
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C programing?

I'm trying to configure my flaps on one of the three position switches and was wondering how some of you were programing this in? I want the middle position to be at about 25 deg. and the full flap position to be at 45 deg.

The problem I'm having is that it seems the travel is almost 75% in the middle position. I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the amount of travel when the switch is in the middle position.

Any help is appreciated.

Brandon
Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Futaba 9C programing?

Post this on the Big Bird or sport board and you will probably get a quicker answer. Most guys here fly Jr. I fly FUTABA but i dont have my book. Russ
Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

tcblr wrote ...
I'm trying to configure my flaps on one of the three position switches
Yup I needed help on that too but when dialed it it works perfect - I'm hoping my resident expert will roll in (here) with the specific steps, be patient ...

Mike
Old 03-15-2005, 11:02 PM
tcblr

Thanks Mike I hope that he chimes in with the answer now that you confirmed that it can be done.

Brandon
Old 03-15-2005, 11:13 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

You can do this on the 9C in Pmix 7 which utilizes curves and makes this fairly simple to do.

Just go into Pmix 7, turn the mix on, make master Flap and then make slave Flap, you will then need to turn Link On, and make this active on Switch X (your choice) in the Center/Down position. On the next screen you will be at the curve screen so in the first and second curve position, I would leave mine at 0% and then in the third position, I made the percentage roughly 10%, in the fourth one I made my percentage roughly 20% and the last one I left blank.

This worked out well for me, you may of course need to change the percentages to suit your application, but I beleive this may be what you are looking for.
Todd
Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 PM
tcblr

Thanks Todd,
Thats just the information I was looking for. I will give this a try... a couple of people told me to just use one of the sliders but I rather use a switch that way I can ensure I get the correct amount of deflection.

Brandon
Old 03-15-2005, 11:42 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm....I've GOT to try Todd's way!
I have used the following on several airplanes, but it does use up the P-Mixes...

P-1= Flap > Elev: 0/-10%; Link Off; Offset= -100 Switch B= Null
P-2= Offset > Flap; 0/+100; Linl= On Switch C= Down
P-3= Offset > Flap; 0/ +100; Link = On; Switch C= Down
P-4= Offset > Flap; 0/ +80; Link= On; Switch C = Center
Airbrake= Manual= Switch C. Flap = 50%

The % are adjusted to give you what you need
Now to try Todd's way.....

Greg
Old 03-16-2005, 08:13 AM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The simplest method is as follows:

1. Basic Menu - Aux Channel change to SW C. This provides 3 position +100% /0%/ -100%

2. Basic Menu – End Point With SW C in Up position adjust desired (say 75%), with SW C in Down position adjust as desired (Say 90%). This provides Flap Up with SW C Up, Takeoff Flap with SW C Centered and Landing Flap with SW C Down.

Play with the end points until you achieve the values you need. No P-Mixes required. (You can use the Basic Menu - Servo to immediately see the effects of your adjustments with the module removed during programming).

Dennis

Edit: If needed, you can also activate AIRBRAKE to provide delayed elevator trim at full flap.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:31 AM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: DP01

1. Basic Menu - Aux Channel change to SW C. This provides 3 position +100% /0%/ -100%

2. Basic Menu – End Point With SW C in Up position adjust desired (say 75%), with SW C in Down position adjust as desired (Say 90%). This provides Flap Up with SW C Up, Takeoff Flap with SW C Centered and Landing Flap with SW C Down.

Play with the end points until you achieve the values you need. No P-Mixes required. (You can use the Basic Menu - Servo to immediately see the effects of your adjustments with the module removed during programming).

Dennis

Edit: If needed, you can also activate AIRBRAKE to provide delayed elevator trim at full flap.
While the above works, I did not like using my flap switch this way. I try to make things very simple on my radio setups... First preference is to have all switches up (away from me) for "Off", just makes it simple to know the state of everything before I power up. Second preference is to pass through takeoff flap position as I transition to landing position. Allows me to drop flap, slow down, drop gear, drop flap to landing position..... Gregs way was how I originally did my flap setup on the 9C but when I needed more mixes I had to find a better solution.... Method posted does the trick with one mix
Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 08:42 AM
DP01

Todd:

Agreed. The method I describe allows you to start with SW C Up (Flaps Up), move to centre for Takeoff Flap, Move back Up for normal flight, Move to Centre for Takeoff Flap (Slowdown) and then to Down for Full Flap. (One has to transition from flaps Up through the intermediate position to Full Flap with a 3 - pos SW. It's just a matter of how long you leave it there!).

Dennis
Old 03-16-2005, 09:09 AM
lov2flyrc

Hmmm...have to pull the old 9C out and check this but.... Setting end points on positions A and B are possible, IE: switch up, switch down..... on the 9C you cant set the endpoint for switch center unless I am missing something? That is why I was assuming your settings "+100% /0%/ -100%" meant takeoff flap/no flap/landing flap....? What you are describing is possible on my 9Z but I dont think you have this ability on the 9C without using a mix?
Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
tcblr

ORIGINAL: DP01

Dennis

Dennis,
Thats how I currently have mine set up but as Todd mentioned unless we are missing something you can't adjust the center position's end point and thats the problem that I'm trying to address.

If there is a way to adjust the endpoint in the center position then no doubt this would be the easiest method.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:54 AM
DP01

Todd:

I have 3 aircraft programmed this way on my 9C, the method works perfectly and does not use a valuable multi point mix. You don't need to set the centre position, takeoff flap is set by varying the end point with the switch in the UP position and adjusting the linkage to set the zero flap position.

For example, 75% (with the flap at zero when the switch is UP) may result in 25º in the centre position. 80% may result in 15º. In the DOWN position, 90% may result in 45º whereas 100% may result in 60º.

These are speculative numbers only, the actuals are dependent on the flap horn and servo horn positions. Hence one has to play with the endpoint adjustments to acheive the desired movement(s). The method provides three definitive positions that are acheived by setting the UP ond DOWN endpoints. The CTR position is simply a function of the endpoint adjustment of the UP position.

Give it a whirl, you may like it!

Dennis
Old 03-16-2005, 10:49 AM
DP01

A picture being worth 1000 words, here's one setup

Pic 1. In the endpoint menu 62%, SW C UP, Flap Up (Mechanically adjusted to up)

Pic 2. SW C CTR, Takeoff Flap 25º

Pic 3. In the endoint menu 70%, SW C DOWN, Full Flap 50º

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45522.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	244725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18924.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	244726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95124.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	244727  
Old 03-16-2005, 12:33 PM
lov2flyrc

Hmmmm.....
Still confused.... I fail to see how this allows you to set the center position flap throw. If you adjust point A to Flap up and point B to landing flap, switch center gives you a fixed amount of throw and therefore fixed amount of flap deflection that is not user defined....???.... In addition, by reducing the endpoint (ie: ATV) instead of setting you linkage geometry correctly for Full Up/Full Down deflection reduces the available torque and holding power of the servo?
Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
DP01

Here's step by step:

Step 1: Assign Channel 6 to SW C.

Step 2. Change Endpoint of CH 6 to 20% when SW C is in the UP position

Step 3. Change Endpoint of CH 6 to 20% when SW C is in the DOWN position

Step 4. Place SW C in the CTR position.

Step 5. Adjust linkage so that the correct Takeoff setting is achieved. i.e. 20º

Step 6. Place SW C in the UP position

Step 7. Adjust endpoint so that the Flap is in the Full Up position (0º).

Step 8. Place SW C in the DOWN position.

Step 9. Adjust endpoint so that the correct Full Down setting is achieved. i.e. 50º

Step 10. Go Fly!

In effect, one uses the takeoff flap position as the centre point (in reality an ofset centre point) and adjusts the other ends to suit.

Dennis
Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 PM
lov2flyrc

Ah....Ok, I see what you are doing! But, again...by reducing the endpoint (ie: ATV) instead of setting you linkage geometry correctly for Full Up/Full Down deflection reduces the available torque and holding power of the servos. Since P-mix 7 does not have many applications for our Jet needs, this is probably a better solution since it will not affect your linkage geometry nor will an adjustment to center switch position flap deflection change your flap up and full down deflections.
Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 02:55 PM
DP01

Todd:

Interesting point, however it's my understanding that torque and/or holding power is available at any position of the servo's rotation and is not a function of total travel. In any event, the mix method as described, also limits travel.

We must agree to disagree…

Dennis
Old 10-27-2006, 07:53 AM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Todd trying your way but servo will not move. when I put switch in down position no matter what % I put in. Did I miss something. I followed you directions above. I'm sure its something obvious that I haven't done. I'm using channel 5 instead of 6 but in programing I used the channel 5.
Thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

Unless I'm mistaken, switch C center is nuetral. To adjust the center position you would use subtrim and adjust the up and down positions with the endpoint. If your desired center flap position is not achievable with subtrim then you need to add a mix. For something like 0-20-45 you should be able to get that without the mix addded, for 0-15-60 you most likely would need a flap to flap mix.