Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DUBAI RC Club New Runway

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DUBAI RC Club New Runway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:47 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DUBAI RC Club New Runway

Hi Guys,

Here is another update. I christened the runway today with two flights with my BVM Bandit. It's just so wonderful to fly off something so huge and smooth. No sand, no stones, just perfect. I had to dodge the occasional bulldozer as the landscaping process had begun.

The runway marking will be painted on tomorrow which will take 2 days and will include the aerobatic box reference lines on the afternoon side of the runway (the south side).

Albert,

YES, there is an annual fee for membership which is being revised at the moment. We were paying $100 USD a year but I am sure this will have to be increased.

Todd and John, thanks for your comments.

Cheers,

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24668.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	247513  
Old 03-22-2005, 10:54 AM
rorywquin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darryl

A few questions.

What frequency do you fly on there ?
What is the availability of fuel (glow and jet) and spares like?

I am looking at a contract opportunity there and was wondering about the cost of changing radios and receivers.

I started my school days in Salisbury (as it was back then) but, I am not a whenwe!!

Regards

Rory
Old 03-22-2005, 11:45 AM
darryltarr

More photos.

[img][/img]

Hello Rory,

Don't worry, I am aslo NOT a whenwe, I have moved on long time ago and considder this place my home. We can buy freehold property here now so the chances of retiring here look more attractive.

All our model fuel comes in from the USA. We get Byron, Morgan, Coolpower, and a couple of others. Jet fuel and jet oil I get from my work place, and it's complementary.

Model shops here are fantastic for the average modeller. Some Jet products we have to order over the internet, but this is easy as customs duty is only 5%. Although havving said that the Jet products are growing day to day and I am currently helping one of our local shops here with there Jet display and related items to order.

JR radio gear is really cheap. 8411 servos are $87, and 8511 (8611 for your area), are $95. The new JR 9X (9303 for you area), is $540.

REMEMBER the price tags on the products will be slightly higher, but the done thing here is you bargain a little and ask for their best price.

Frequency here is 72MHZ and 35MHz. Some people have 40MHz, and 50Mhz as well.

Cheers,

Name:	Hf99843.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	247547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74948.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	247548  
Old 03-22-2005, 11:57 AM
azuz

ORIGINAL: Darryl Tarr

Hi Guys,

Here is another update. I christened the runway today with two flights with my BVM Bandit. It's just so wonderful to fly off something so huge and smooth. No sand, no stones, just perfect. I had to dodge the occasional bulldozer as the landscaping process had begun.

The runway marking will be painted on tomorrow which will take 2 days and will include the aerobatic box reference lines on the afternoon side of the runway (the south side).

Albert,

YES, there is an annual fee for membership which is being revised at the moment. We were paying $100 USD a year but I am sure this will have to be increased.

Todd and John, thanks for your comments.

Cheers,

[img][/img]
Hey Darryl........

Congrats on your first flight !!!!

YOU NOW ARE GONNA BE CHARGED EXTRA FOR THAT !!

Cheers
ZiiZO !

Mansoor

Are you back ? You need to bill Darryl for that ! HAHA

YOUR JOU idea paid off big time !!

Congrats to all Dubai RC Club members on this fantastic runway !

I think you should call for a party !

Cheers
ZiiZo
Old 03-22-2005, 01:17 PM
jet lover

heeey azoooz,

LoooooooL, we R still working on the membership charges :P . actually we r thinking of kicking out all prop planes :P,hehehe (just kidding)
i'll be back to trouble all the members :P extra fees :P . you guys have 2 weeks and i'll be back :P
Old 03-24-2005, 07:41 AM
azuz

ORIGINAL: jet lover

heeey azoooz,

LoooooooL, we R still working on the membership charges :P . actually we r thinking of kicking out all prop planes :P,hehehe (just kidding)
i'll be back to trouble all the members :P extra fees :P . you guys have 2 weeks and i'll be back :P
Oh !! Thanks for letting me know....that you are kicking out prop planes......atleast that will help me fly my heli in peace with all those crazy prop flyers out !!! LOL - howz that !!

and if you do think of stopping Heliz, you know whooz gonna throw you away !! Mr. Hover !! himself !!

PS. Not to forget I kinda know yourr frequency !! Sameer Sells those crystals real cheap if you know what i mean.

HAHA HAA HAA

watch out for that red car !! when u flying next time !!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:18 PM
rickenberg

Hey Darryl and Mansour,

On behalf of all the modelers in Dubai, I think it's VERY appropriate to thank both of you (and a few select others) for the hard work and dedication you have invested in making the new runway a huge success!!

The new runway has such a wonderfully finished surface, and is just so big in physical size, we could land and take off across it, never mind going down the center line (all 300 meters of it)!!!

Thank you guys - it's REALLY Appreciated.

As for the cost of membership fee's... Mansour, don't worry. The new runway is worth every Dirahm we pay for new membership. I hope we can built toilets and a small club house in the near future!

Thanks

Adam Rickenberg
Old 03-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Looks great Gents.

Well it is decided ...been planning a trip to Dubai to visit family and with a club like this, I am definitely going.

You guys fly mode 1 or 2?

I fly mode 1, and since I cannot bring a plane from Canada I thought I might beg for some stick time from someone!!!

Great field.
Regards
Peter

Old 03-25-2005, 09:55 AM
jet lover

Dear Adam,

It's my responsibility to do whatever i can for this club dont't worry about the toilets and the club house :P i have planned this already

i'll have a meeting with all the club members once i get back to dubai. i will discuss with you guys some plans that i have in my mind

cheers
mansoor
Old 03-25-2005, 09:57 AM
jet lover

hello,

we usually fly mode 2 but you can still fly on mode 1
hope that you have fun
just let us know when u get here
take care,
mansoor
Old 03-29-2005, 11:19 PM
darryltarr

Hi Guys,

Here is an update. The runway marking are almost finished, just the threshold piano bars and aerobatic box junction to be completed.

The landscaping around the runway is in full force and the irrigation piper and grass will be planted soon. There are power cables (for electricity) on site.

Cheers,

Darryl Tarr

Name:	Ec88011.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	251360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81523.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	251361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34335.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	251362  
Old 03-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Q8SABRE
My Feedback: (3)

Runway looks great Darryl.
I was in Dubai last weekend and went to see your club for the first time.
I thought it was a little close to a major highway. dont you think?
Anyways, I admire what Dubai does to encourage and promote every sport there is.
Congratulation guys, u deserve the best
Old 03-30-2005, 05:31 AM
rorywquin

Darryl

Do you know of any flying clubs in Doha - it looks like I will be spending 3 years there instead of Dubai!
Old 03-30-2005, 09:04 AM
darryltarr

You are absolutely right. The club is NOT in the most ideal position regarding the highway and the powerlines to the west.

The highway is no distraction at all to most of the fliers, however we are about to enforce some rules regarding safety issues. The last thing you need is a model on the highway.

The powerlines may look a little closer than they actually are. They are a distance of 900m from the centre of the runway, but have NOT caused any interference to date.

Due to the afternoon sea breeze all approaches and landings are made from the East where there are no obstructions at all. In the early the wind is normally calm, or if anything its a gentle land breeze from the East. The approaches and landings are now made from the West and you do come fairly close to the powerlines. NOT ideal, but again we will have some safety procedures in place soon.

Regards,

Darryl

Rory, there is also an amazing RC setup in Doha. You can contact a very good friend of mine: Khalid Al-Khater. Mobile: +9745825582. Email [email protected]
Old 03-31-2005, 11:35 AM
hpghost

here is some photos of the runway taken from my construction site next to the highway...

Name:	Mk25277.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	251886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92228.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	251887  
Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM
rc mustangflyer

hello flyers in dabai.
i am going to be in dabai in the early stages of next month and it would be good to see some flying.
due to me wanting to move and work over in the uae.
any reply to help welcome
Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 PM
darryltarr

With pleasure,

Just call me on 3948536 when you arrive in Dubai.

Cheers, Darryl
Old 04-15-2005, 01:06 AM
TREADSTONE.

Darryl,

I do hope your going to get some turf layed round the edges of the Runway..

Lovely stuff.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:10 AM
darryltarr

YES, the whole project is FAR from complete.

There will be 20 meters of grass along the entire sides of the runway. The lighting for the pit area is now complete. This lighting comes on and off aotomatically, but can aslo be operated manually by from the pit area. There are also saparate plug points for those who wish to charge something at the field.

Paving bricks will surround the pit area which will provide a suitable ramp (as you know the runway sits almost one meter obove the surrounding graond).

Shade structures will soon be placed on some parts of the pits.

I think by October (the end of summer), when the preparations for the "Jets Over UAE" start, the club will look really great.

All the best,

Darryl

Old 04-15-2005, 05:39 AM
TREADSTONE.

Darryl..

I was pulling your leg...wish i had'nt bothered now ...your just making us all suffer more..

If Mr Blair & Co want re-electing they need to look at some improved recreational facilities for us poor chaps..
Old 04-15-2005, 05:58 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TS

It's a lovely facility but how would you like to try and operate model jets in temps. over 100 oF with killing humidity.

We northern Brits don't have bodies built for that climate!

John
Old 04-15-2005, 06:04 AM
darryltarr

Thanks, I did notice your humour the first time, just updating everyone I guess.

Here is a photo from the air taken by one of my work coleages Bjorn (who flies the Airbus A330 and A340 for Emirates). It was taken a long time ago but is still impressive.

Bjorn was operating the direct flight Dubai to Sydney. Its a daylight flight that departs Dubai International Airportbut arround 10:30. They were climbing through about 10'000 feet when he took the photo.

Cheers,

Darryl

Name:	Ay74084.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	258465  
Old 04-15-2005, 06:56 AM
TREADSTONE.

ORIGINAL: john agnew

..We northern Brits don't have bodies built for that climate!

John
I'm infinitely adaptable to any climate... more so warm ones

Stayed in Dubai for a couple of nights on the way to the Maldives, a dazzling place ...wonderfull.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:25 AM
darryltarr

John,

The summer is very hot and humid but lets not take this out of context. This is only from mid May to mid October. The remaining 7 months has fantastic weather.

During the hot months we natrually fly early in the morning, or late afternoon. The temperatures will be arround 40 C (104 F). Plus the 90% humidity on some days. These conditions I am refering to are only during the months of July to Sept.

Harsh conditions, you bet, yet the turbines only indicate an additional 60 C on start up and during high power settings. On the B777 the EGT during the takeoff roll are also about 60 C higher than those indicated during the winter.

Then we also have a very high DENSITY ALTITUDE in summer. Due to the low atmospheric pressure (QNH 996 Mb), and high temperatures (OAT + 43 C), the Density Altitude is arround 4000 feet. This means that we loose approximately 15% performance in thrust and also aerodynacically. BUT, this is no where near what we used to loose living in Southern Africa at an altitude of nealy 6000 feet above sea level with temperatures of 33 C. Here we were loosing 25% performance.

Buy the way, most of the ex-patriots here are you northern Britts.

Honestly, its great over here so please come and fly with us some day.

Cheers,

Darryl
Old 04-15-2005, 10:44 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darryl

I would love to have your flying facility here in Scotland where we occassionally get to fly off a full size runway. Most of the time we are flying off short grass strips in windy conditions and dodging rain showers, not ideal turbine conditions!

The plus side is, in the cool dense air the turbines give their best performance and on the odd good day ( 65 oF and sunshine! ) the air is wonderfully clear. I still couldn't stand those Dubai temperatures though!

Best wishes to enjoy your facility.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.