Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FIRST WREN MW54 SUPER SPORT IN THE US

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FIRST WREN MW54 SUPER SPORT IN THE US

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 04:51 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default FIRST WREN MW54 SUPER SPORT IN THE US

Look what came in the mail Thursday....My Wren MW 54 Super Sport! I plan on throwing it in the 'ole Reaper this weekend. It should be interesting to compare it's performance vs. my MK II. I have been told that this if the first Super Sport over here in the colonies. It looks like it has been worth the wait!!

Tailwinds,

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42153.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	245938  
Old 03-19-2005, 06:09 AM
TREADSTONE.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FIRST WREN MW54 SUPER SPORT IN THE US

Fantastic stuff John !

Had a look at one last weekend and the design of the new shaft tube/diffuser vs front mount/intake...brilliant, just brilliant !

Keep us posted...thing is y'know it will be superb..
Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

John,

I put another 6 flights on mine yesterday and it really is one amazing engine.

jason
Old 03-19-2005, 06:32 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

John,

I put another 6 flights on mine yesterday and it really is one amazing engine.

jason
Old 03-19-2005, 09:02 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

John,

After flying the Reaper with it, do post the results. I've considered that turbine since I heard about it last year. I think it is going to be a good turbine.

JR Gautreaux
Old 03-19-2005, 10:53 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John
Good luck on the engine swap... remember that your wings are covered by Ultra coat, don't want any tears in the covering
Have a safe flight .
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 03-19-2005, 01:47 PM
cactusflyer

Thanks Joe,

I might be be worried if it was Monocote!! LOL!! Hmmm... Maybe I should take my iron to the field.........

Here an iteresting stat: Mw54 MKII with FADEC weighs 2 lbs. 5.8 oz

Super Sport with FADEC weighs 2 lbs. 3.2 oz

Joe, when are you coming to PHX? We have light rain today so I'M planning on test running today and flying Sunday.

Regards,

John

Old 03-19-2005, 03:12 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

! Hmmm... Maybe I should take my iron to the field......... (Taken out of content)
John,
I did not know you knew anything about those Domestic Goddest jobs......

If I fly Ill be in on the 6th of april........If I get the 262 completed...april 8 (driving).....
Semper Fi
Joe

Old 03-19-2005, 05:25 PM
cactusflyer

Great!`I should be in towwn until the 15th. You probably don't want to ask me why I am working on the Best in the West weekend......

Well, I've got the Super Sport installed and running in the Reaper. I went with the onboard gas setup and believe it or not, it works well with the same Coleman "green can" propane that I have been using...No Powermax!

The gas valve now has a needle valve to meter the flow and it works very nice. That would be helpful for a MW44 as well.

John
Old 03-20-2005, 10:30 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Geez! the FIRST WREN supersport in the US. How could you EVER be that lucky or special. Good luck with it. and enjoy. Russ
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 AM
cactusflyer

Thank You Russ! It's good to hear from you.

No luck. All I had to do is ORDER it when I first heard that it was going to be built. As I have said many times, the folks at Wren are great. And now Jet Hangar Hobbies has the information about the Super Sport on their web-site: [link]http://www.jethangar.com[/link]

I ran the engine a couple times yesterday in the driveway (in the light misting rain) and believe it are not, it started great and I took it to 160K right off the bat!

I look forward to flying with you someday. Are you planning on any jet events this year?

I have tried to send you a PM, but you have blocked incoming PMs, I have a message that I think you should see.

Regards,

John
Old 03-20-2005, 08:27 PM
cactusflyer

So how fast is a MW54 Super Sport powered Reaper? WAY faster than I ever thought I would see 18.5 lbs. of plywood flying! Now I know what they mean when the manual states that the exhaust velocity is in excess of 800 m.p. h. Everything was going great until on one low high speed pass, the right hand stab/canard broke and "hinged" down. What a rush! Luckily I had a flap/elevator mix available and with the flip of a switch, I regained pitch control and was able to get it around the pattern and roll it on right in front of me. It looks like it's time for new canards with lots of carbon fiber. This happened on the first flight so I didn't get any good fuel burn info for comparison to the MW54 MKII. As soon as I get home, I'll post a picture.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 03-21-2005, 03:19 AM
cactusflyer

Here is the picture:

Name:	Fd90919.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	246838  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

John,

I''ve had the some thing happen to my canard before. I've managed to stop them from breaking using 1/4" balsa laminated between 3/32" aircraft ply on top and bottom. However, on high speed passes I can still see them fluttering. They look like hummingbird wings. I'm actually surprises people like Spunkie as seen in his videos has no problems.

I finished the rebuild of my Reaper and on my fourth set of canards. This time I inserted some weights into the counter balance section. and I also redesigned them a bit. I'm hoping that this will take care of the high speed flutter problem.

JR Gautreaux
Old 03-26-2005, 10:02 PM
cactusflyer

Well, I did a re-build on the the left canard and I fabricated a new right canard. I found the hardest balsa in my shop and cut a new piece. I embedded a carbon spar in both parts and ended up with a very strong assembly. I just got back from the field today and it seems to be holding up well. I was cautious about the top speed though.

After four flights, I can say that the fuel burn is quite comparable to the MKII. In fact, when I do the same set of maneuvers that I have done on about 160 flights or so, I burn LESS fuel than with the MKII and the maneuvers are much bigger! With the MKII, I was cruising around alot at full tilt. Now it's about 60% power except for the verticals. With 72 oz of fuel on board, I'm getting 8 1/2 minutes of AIR TIME and landing with about 12 ozs. left.

I think that the residual thrust at idle is a bit higher which makes landing a bit challenging with the Reaper. More on this as the story develops...

Tailwinds,

John
Old 03-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

All flying canards built by a friend of ours..very high tech composite kevlar honeycomb etc etc... no problems in flight .

Name:	Om34198.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	249671  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM
cactusflyer

Good looking stab! How does it fly with that setup? I have a mold for a stab for another project that I thought about utilizing to make composite stabs for the beast............

John

Name:	Fc90485.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	249767  
Old 03-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Wayne22

Works quite well...they are actually from a Raphal. Our local composit guru did up a sample testing some new materials, and it was darned near the same size as the stock one, so we (my buddy and I) asked if he could make us a pair.. We have elevons mixed with them, but totally unnecessary. I can't remember the exact throw, but it is not a whole lot..something like +13 and -10 degrees. If you look at the photo, they are in the full down position...at full up, the leading edge of the canard comes up to the top of the plywood fuselage side.
They are quite powerful, but neither of us has pushed the limits too far.......
Old 07-04-2005, 11:04 AM
sidgates

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
I lost your email and contact info because of computer crash. Could you give me an up to date report on you WREN SS? Direct emai is [email protected].
Old 07-04-2005, 06:29 PM
cactusflyer

Hi Sid,

So far, I only have 17 flights (2.7 hrs.) on the Super Sport . It has been really hot out here lately and I have been helping a friend re-work and fly a Yellow F-15. And before the Phoenix oven turned on, I was busy "wasting" good flying weather by working on the A7 project. Anyway, the more I fly the Super Sport, the more I like it! I have found that the fuel burn is LESS than my MK II! I pretty much fly the same set of pattern-like maneuvers every flight and I have found that I get through the sequence much faster and I have to use less power for everything. Iin turn, I land with more fuel than I did with the MK II. So now I fly a couple additional maneuvers.

I have also found the spool up time is roughly 1/2 that of the MK II. .....It is almost non-existent! If you keep the throttle at no less than 1/4 for your "flight idle", the Super Sport behaves just like a YS 1.60...no lag. As you can tell, I really like the engine and I almost can't wait to get the A7 finished so that I can see how it performs.

Here is my e-mail address: [email protected]

Tailwinds,

John
Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you post some numbers on the spoolup times? I'm curious, and just started a thread on the topic yesterday....
Old 07-05-2005, 05:25 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John

That's all very good news! I haven't run mine yet, its first home will be in a Skymasters Hawk which should be at the very bottom of the weight range and accordingly be a good performer.

John