Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Discovery Jet by U Fly Hobbies: Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Discovery Jet by U Fly Hobbies: Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Discovery Jet by U Fly Hobbies: Build Thread

right on
Old 05-02-2005, 08:33 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Session 3 now posted - http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/d...t-session3.htm

JR Gautreaux
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47957.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	265818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96500.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	265819  
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JR,
It is looking great, you do good work.
Tommy
Old 05-02-2005, 10:15 AM
jetflyer

Thanks Tommy, I actually enjoy building and learning new techniques. I have a few guys at the club that will probably get their feet wet with a turbine jet when I'm done with the Discovery. The second Discovery I build will have retracts. Just not sure if I will build one right after the other because I still have my Phoenix jet that needs to be finished. Too many projects, not enough time.

JR Gautreaux
Old 05-04-2005, 07:30 AM
jetflyer

Session 4 has now been posted! (Horizontal stab and rudder build)

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/d...t-session4.htm

JR Gautreaux
Old 08-03-2005, 07:16 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

I haven't seen any updates on http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/d...covery-jet.htm lately. What's up, is the build on hold?

Regards,
Bart
Old 08-03-2005, 07:34 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well JR let something silly get in his way of building - he sold his house and moved. How lame... Let's see if we can't motivate him:

JR - how about we vacuum bag the wings, live hinge, mylar etc.? I'll supply the shop and tools - I'll even supply the "barley pops". Can take pics and post. Should be able to do it in one or two evenings easily and "forces" me (and him) out in the shop...
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Yeah, that can take a bit of time to recover from. I did that a couple of years ago myself. I seems my garage/shop is still in recovery mode. If I don't buy my aircraft RTF now days I can't seem to get them built. I'm not sure how I'll even manage building a Discovery a this point. But I'll give it a go anyway.

Regards,
Bart
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM
jetflyer

Bart,

Chuck pretty much summed up what happened. We put our house on the market back in May and it sold in 3 weeks. So I had the joy of moving out of two story house we lived in for the past 7 years. Fun, Fun, Fun and more Fun...or was that packing, packing, packing and more packing??? Anyway, most of my hobby related items ended up in storage with exception of my Super Reaper and support equipment. Then to compound matters, I decided to get into the T-shirt business since Bail Out Apparel was growing and doing well. Now at our new house, my garage is mostly full of T-shirt equipment and supplies. So my building time got transformed to T-shirt printing time. I still have a full time day job, but on the average I print 3 jobs during the normal work week and I can see going to 4 or 5 jobs during the work week very soon. That only leaves weekend time, and to be honest, I'd much rather be out flying on the weekend then building.

Chuck,

I just rolled the dice and guess what landed on top (Discovery, F-16, or Phoenix Sport Jet). The Discovery! Since my shop is full of T-shirt stuff I guess I will have to take your offer and get the Discovery finished. I'll be calling you soon to firm up some shop time. Make sure to put a few C-Sun's on ice along with the barley pops. Better yet, since we will most likely be working late hours I'll bring some Vodka and Red Bull.

JR Gautreaux
Old 11-06-2014, 08:40 AM
thunderchief

Jetflyer did you ever finish the Discovery Jet? If so was it a good flyer?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 PM
ChuckC

Yup, he finished it, flew it a lot and now I own it. Came in REAL heavy with the RAM 750P, which is stil in it and still running. I'm finishing going through it and will fly it again real soon. About done - when I flew it last, it flew just like any old sport plane, only with the turbine spool-up and spool-down/thrust being different. No bad stall characteristics and handles the weight really well. Very thick, symmetrical airfoil.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 PM
thunderchief

Chuck, if you are still out there I have a few questions concerning the Discovery Jet that maybe you can answer. I did a number of modifications on the plane. I traded the plywood for balsa in non stress areas and sheeted the wings with 1/16 to try and cut weight. I used a cnc foam cutter to cut the wings so I had the machine core out the foam core. I added strength by vacuum bagging the wing and then glassing it. I also tapered the rear of the fuse and added foam side inlets. I also set it up for retracts. I am thinking that it will come in around 16 lbs. Should have it done in the next few weeks. My questions concerns how much throw are you using in your controls?
Thanks Glenn
Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 AM
ChuckC

I'll have to check. The one I have is an absolute PIG, flies on an old RAM 750 plus and flies like a big old sport prop plane. I know I've got it on dual rates, but it's been a while since I've flown it.

Let me see if I can get anything out of JR as well. I'll go through it again this weekend.