Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How to join drop tank halves

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How to join drop tank halves

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:57 PM
christrump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to join drop tank halves

I bought this drop tank a while ago to use as a center line tank on my F-15. Needless to say, I was not happy with the quality as it came apart with just a gentle squeeze. You can see in the pic that it was joined with just resin and micro balloons. I have always been curious how this was done the proper way with fiberglass tape.

Thanks,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10266.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	253657  
Old 04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to join drop tank halves

In cases where I have an access hole, I spot-glue the tanks together with Pasti-Stic CA then run the tape around using a small wheel on the end of a small dowel.

In cases where no such access is possible, I tend to run the tape around one tank half, with it sticking out to form a lip ; then dress the lip to allow the second half to be a press fit ovetr that lip, slop some expoy with micro-ballons on it, and join the halves.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:39 AM
christrump

Sounds simple enough Gordon. A friend of mine came over last night and suggested that I just wrap the tape on the outside and finish over it. Probably more work in the end though. I've always wondered how good manufactures get the joint so perfect. Do they lightly pressurise it or something?

Chris
Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 AM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The few I have done had an over lapping joint molded into one side. Just put glue on the joint and slide them together, then putty the joint, sand and finish.

Steven

ORIGINAL: ChrisTrump

Sounds simple enough Gordon. A friend of mine came over last night and suggested that I just wrap the tape on the outside and finish over it. Probably more work in the end though. I've always wondered how good manufactures get the joint so perfect. Do they lightly pressurise it or something?

Chris
Old 04-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Darryl Usher

If you are the manufacture and you have a access hole you leave the parts in the mold while taping the inside.
Darryl Usher
Old 04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Looks like a wet lay-up with a cab-o-sil joint. This works well when assembled properly. Both halves are wetted out in the tool, when cured they are joined in the mold with cab-o-sil and epoxy....How many do you need
Old 04-04-2005, 05:30 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One way to do it, which I have found works fantastic (looks like yours was done similar but with no care whatsoever) is to put a bead of thick epoxy/microballoon mixture around the inside lip of each and place them face down on wax paper (taped on a smooth level glass surface) to cure. Add some light weight to keep them down flat on the surface with out distorting them or the wax paper. This allows the epoxy to creep and form a widish gluing surface on both pieces. Once cured, remove from wax paper and use thick CA to glue them together. This works so well, that your only going to get one shot at getting them aligned to each other, so use slow CA to give yourself as much time as possible. It'll take a crash to separate 'em. This is the perfect method when you are unconcerned about the inside of a closed hollow object like this.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10780.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	254053  
Old 04-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

In the past I have cut a piece of lite ply (maybe 1/16th) and glued one half of the tank to it, trim off the excess wood and then glue the other tank half together. Touch up the seam with bondo or whatever is your fav filler.
V..
Old 04-04-2005, 05:40 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea, Paul [sm=thumbup.gif] I have done something very similar (making molds off of existing parts cut in half) using waxed glass plate, this is much less expensive!

barry
Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM
christrump

Thanks guys! These ideas are great. Who knew there were so many ways joining them, more than one way to skin a cat, I guess.

Chris