Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-18 wing failure

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-18 wing failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Top Thumb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-18 wing failure

I figured it was an early version. I tend to buy things when they first come out Just like the F-18 2-piece Twin.

The plans showed how to build with the wings fixed but also told you how to make them plug-ins. I went out and measured that
little hatch and it is only 3.75" in length.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Top Thumb

Shaun,

I guess I should tell you that I did make it with plug-in wings. Sorry about that
Old 05-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Miguel Santana
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Unfortunelly I know that feeling.......Who doesn't by the way[sm=pirate.gif]?
Regards,
Miguel
Old 05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Miguel, its good to hear from you. Hope you and the crew are doing fine.

Dave
Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Thruster

I guess to finally close the thread here are some pics of my latest YA twin Hornet as promised in previous post - lot more detail to do but this is the start:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38567.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	269038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70104.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	269039  
Old 05-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Thruster, looks like a pretty colorful paint scheme. Good luck with it.

Dave
Old 05-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Thruster

Thanks Dave - its the VFA-82 Marauders ShowBird scheme used by the CAG, something a little unusual.

It will be a few weeks before the first flight, as I need to put the detail on as yet and fit everything back into her then check everything out. Thankfully I made all of the internal bits fit onto removable plates and is easy to put back together and maintain. The whole engine/bypass and pipe can be fitted in 10 mins as I have used a generic framework with bolt on formers – this means I can use any combination of power plant just by changing the mounting plate. It’s just the RC cables and actuator tubing that will take the time to route etc

Will post again once flown.

Name:	Ig13491.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	269090  
Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

as my son would say....thight!!!

hornetdriver
Old 05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
clguru
My Feedback: (5)

I built one of those planes before they even had the scale gear for it. It flew with Jet model products MK20 gears from his old F4 Phantom kit!! and OS 77's. Kind of a SLED though!!
It is an OLD airplane that has gone through many revisions.
Sounds like it's going to need another update to keep up with the turbine technology.
One of the best F18s out there, just the same.

Dan
Old 04-27-2014, 03:33 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know this is an old thread but knowledge never gets old and can help save someone from big problems. i've been flying turbines for about 7 years now and i've owned nothing scale or substantial . i never got into scale stuff as 99% of our runways are grass and i thought the airframe and gear would get beat up too much. that being said , we now have access to a awesome place to fly so i decided to give it a try. . i have flown heavy WWII fighters for years and had a boomerang intro a long time but i still question weather or not i'm going to be flying above my paid grade. i didn't realize the size of this f-18 when i bought it and question weather my Kingtech 140 could even fly it providing i keep the weight down. my thought process was if i keep it really light "no cockpit , no fancy power boxes with batteries etc , that it could be done. by adding more weight like fuel more/bigger engines that you would need the extra power just to compensate for the extra weight and on and on....
Telling my friend about my new ride, he advised me to get on here and check out the wing issues that the 18 has as he said he saw two lose wings over the years so here i am.
My point/question is ... if i provide pictures can this plane be dated and given the things that i just talked about, can i flying it ok. I KNOW you CAN NOT compare this to the yellow but i have several G&P hornets over the years "they are pusher props" and can't believe how well they fly and land. though not for a beginner you still have to setup the approach right or you won't have a good landing. every video i see , guys are coming it at mach 1 . can't you do a better approach nose high flaps down and power on? just some thoughts to start a conversation and picking up some tips. i have alot of questions. WB_1 thanks in advance

Name:	barks18.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	1990341   Click image for larger version

Name:	f-18 2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1990342   Click image for larger version

Name:	f18.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1990343   Click image for larger version

Name:	f-183.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1990344  

Last edited by warbird_1; 04-27-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Hi Warbird1,
I just finished up a yellow twin F-18 for twin EDF, mine is 41 pounds loaded with 12s 8000 mah x 2
I've studied up on this plane and as I'm sure you know the issue with wing failure comes from the thin areas on the forward and rear main spar formers. If you have the single turbine version this is not an issue as the formers have much more material in those areas. With mine being a twin EDF for large Tam Jets 128mm Dynamax conversion I had to mod my formers for extra strength. I sandwiched the main formers with 1/8 carbon fiber, which is what most of the guys have done with this plane. Since you are looking to do single yellow does sell aluminum braces that may work for you.

Put up a couple pictures of your main spar formers when you get a chance

Name:	DSCN9755.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1990481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02156.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1990482   Click image for larger version

Name:	f-18 wing spar rear.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	1990483   Click image for larger version

Name:	forward wing spar.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	1990484  
Old 04-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I'm building one now for single amt 450. Mine is the old polyester df version. I bought the new formers from yellow. They look to be up to the task. I will use the stock wing set with some mod work of my own. Definitely will not be drilling a hole in the aluminium spar.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:36 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Ron101
Hi Warbird1,
I just finished up a yellow twin F-18 for twin EDF, mine is 41 pounds loaded with 12s 8000 mah x 2
I've studied up on this plane and as I'm sure you know the issue with wing failure comes from the thin areas on the forward and rear main spar formers. If you have the single turbine version this is not an issue as the formers have much more material in those areas. With mine being a twin EDF for large Tam Jets 128mm Dynamax conversion I had to mod my formers for extra strength. I sandwiched the main formers with 1/8 carbon fiber, which is what most of the guys have done with this plane. Since you are looking to do single yellow does sell aluminum braces that may work for you.

Put up a couple pictures of your main spar formers when you get a chance

thanks ,ron . though the person that started the build did beef up the area , i decide to completely remove the current former and cut a new from the plans i have with the plane. it was setup or being built to allow two EDF's to go in. i know it's a bit of work but if i built it or sell it, it will be right . thanks for the input. i'd like to hear from guys about the landing qualities of the f-18 ,WB_1
Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Randy M.
I'm building one now for single amt 450. Mine is the old polyester df version. I bought the new formers from yellow. They look to be up to the task. I will use the stock wing set with some mod work of my own. Definitely will not be drilling a hole in the aluminium spar.
randing , i'm going to check the book to see if that method of drilling the spar was modified to do something different , ron
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

The inner holes for the flap hinges are pretty close to the spar. The first is about 1/2" or so and the gradually get deeper. You just drill to the spar and cut the hinges down a bit.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

the instructions don't say to drill that flap hinge into the spar... I cut my flap hinge just short of the spar and glued it
Old 04-27-2014, 06:48 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
i know this is an old thread but knowledge never gets old and can help save someone from big problems. i've been flying turbines for about 7 years now and i've owned nothing scale or substantial . i never got into scale stuff as 99% of our runways are grass and i thought the airframe and gear would get beat up too much. that being said , we now have access to a awesome place to fly so i decided to give it a try. . i have flown heavy WWII fighters for years and had a boomerang intro a long time but i still question weather or not i'm going to be flying above my paid grade. i didn't realize the size of this f-18 when i bought it and question weather my Kingtech 140 could even fly it providing i keep the weight down. my thought process was if i keep it really light "no cockpit , no fancy power boxes with batteries etc , that it could be done. by adding more weight like fuel more/bigger engines that you would need the extra power just to compensate for the extra weight and on and on....
Telling my friend about my new ride, he advised me to get on here and check out the wing issues that the 18 has as he said he saw two lose wings over the years so here i am.
My point/question is ... if i provide pictures can this plane be dated and given the things that i just talked about, can i flying it ok. I KNOW you CAN NOT compare this to the yellow but i have several G&P hornets over the years "they are pusher props" and can't believe how well they fly and land. though not for a beginner you still have to setup the approach right or you won't have a good landing. every video i see , guys are coming it at mach 1 . can't you do a better approach nose high flaps down and power on? just some thoughts to start a conversation and picking up some tips. i have alot of questions. WB_1 thanks in advance
if those pictures are of the yellow you are asking about, thats either 1. Not the twin and is a single or 2. A Really small man!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Dig it

I believe those are pics of the G&P pusher Hornet he was talking about earlier.

I'm building one myself. Cool little bird. I believe people use the gear from the yellow 1/10th for this kit quite often.

Dale
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Dig it
I believe those are pics of the G&P pusher Hornet he was talking about earlier.

I'm building one myself. Cool little bird. I believe people use the gear from the yellow 1/10th for this kit quite often.

Dale
Yes dig you are right. those are pics of the G&P sales hornets. i would like to offer you a big piece of advice . When trimming the elevator . DO NOT trim it for level flight . i did that on my very first fight and the glow plug burn out causing the engine to quit.. no biggy but as soon as i setup on final i when't into PIO bad . i was porpoising 30 feet at a time because i could not find the sweet spot on the elevator stick to give me a nice nose down approach. by some miracle the oscillation was timed that at the bottom of one of them my mains hit and the plane stuck to the ground . i trimmed mine for a slight nose down trim , holding back on the stick to keep it level. you get a much better feel of the elevator that way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsaBUaBbns here's some clips from many years ago of them. fun to watch them from back in the newbie days first clip isn't so good .WB_1
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 AM
warbird_1

am i seeing things or is yellow installing the main gear shock upside down? checked out some f-18 c landing gear pics and unless the full scale chaged something , yellow has it wrong.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Unbelievable........So many people making excuses that would be calling it junk if it were made by someone else.

No surprise.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Unbelievable........So many people making excuses that would be calling it junk if it were made by someone else.

No surprise.
who or what are you referring to? i don't recall anyone calling anything junk..
Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Dig it

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying

No surprise.
You do realize that this thread is 8 years old when people were still flying ducted fan and the problem was fixed before the thread ended right?

Dale
Old 04-28-2014, 04:41 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Dig it
You do realize that this thread is 8 years old when people were still flying ducted fan and the problem was fixed before the thread ended right?

Dale
dale , fortunately in America we do have the right to express or opinions .. good , bad or indifferent. i wouldn't let it ruin your day bud. i realize that the thread is 8 years old and that that doesn't matter if you can still get useful info from it. so if you have anything you'd like to add , that's awesome . the day you stop learning is the day you start dying . WB_1

Last edited by warbird_1; 04-29-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Dig it

Warbird, my comment was targeted at Desertlakeflyer. He obviously is attempting to compare the Yellow bird of 10 years ago to the failures of FEJ today. If that is incorrect, please educate me.
Thanks for waving your flag though, if I'm correct, and I know I am, mine does the same.
My day can never be ruined by such rubbish, I had hoped this thread stay on course and my comment was intended to educate where I thought a misunderstand had taken place.

Dale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.