Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JetJoe OWNERS thread

Yes you need to look at the sensor and how it is mounted, it is normally fitted on two long bolts and mine was able to slide up and down freely when I first got it, so I made some spacers to keep it in one position.

note added
We must have been posting at the same time, good you got it sorted, never thought to mention that, the starter and glow wires should always be on the oposite side of the fuselage than the rpm wires.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM
VA

Been considering getting one of these, is it reccomended for a first turbine? I have another thread in the forum Just so many opinions.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: VA

Been considering getting one of these, is it reccomended for a first turbine? I have another thread in the forum Just so many opinions.
When I got mine it was my first turbine, what I realised is you need the help of someone who has used a turbine before, no matter what brand you buy, some ok like Jetcat are really plug and play, others need some tweaking to get to run reliably, so experienced help will save a lot of hassle.

If you decide to buy a JetJoe then only buy from a dealer he will make sure that it is running correctly, from reports I have read the USA dealers have been providing excellent service.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM
BJ64

Yah Xairflyer - I hope I've got it sorted now. I'm low on Propane at the moment, and my LiPo might have *just* enough juice left for one more go at a start. Man, I've just got to hear this thing running soon, or I'll go nutso LoL.

VA - this is my first Turbine. I've had a few 'teething' problems, but I consider that all part of the learning. I've read all sorts of things about JJ's, both good and bad. I looked at the prices of a LOT of Turbines and settled on trying out a JJ-3000 - I figured I'd rather trash a couple of grand than five+ grand if I do totally screw something up. Apart from a few niggly problems so far, I think I'm not all that far away from a successful start. And without trying to fly anyone's banner, even the more expensive Turbines can suffer from glitches according to what I've read over the last month or so.

I'm in no real position to recommend what would be a 'good' first Turbine, but if I can get one of these things to work, I reckon just about anyone could. From my experience so far you need to find out as much info you can on what makes one of these things tick - and more importantly, how to set it up to start with. There's a few things I've been lucky enough to have picked up along the way from guys willing to share their experience and knowledge that have helped me enormously. Maybe the dearer Turbines are more 'plug and play', and maybe you get good sound advice in the manual that comes with them - I can't vouch for that either way.

But, so far, I've learnt heaps tinkering away with my JJ-3000. And I'm loving it

BJ
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 AM
HKruisman

A jetjoe will run but for how long is the question. It might run very long but can also die very soon. With a jetcat the reliability is a lot better as is the overal quality. It will cost more but is deffenitly worth it. The plane normally cost a lot more then the turbine so crashing a plane due to a failing turbine would cost more then buying a quality brand.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:56 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: BJ64

But, so far, I've learnt heaps tinkering away with my JJ-3000. And I'm loving it
Thats the spirit. good job.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: HKruisman

A jetjoe will run but for how long is the question. It might run very long but can also die very soon. With a jetcat the reliability is a lot better as is the overal quality. It will cost more but is deffenitly worth it. The plane normally cost a lot more then the turbine so crashing a plane due to a failing turbine would cost more then buying a quality brand.
Yes maybe true, but when I bought mine I could not affoard to spend out on a Jetcat much as i would have loved a P80, it was a simple case of having a turbine or not, I have now had two years jet flying with mine, if Jetjoe was not available I might still be looking up at others flying Jets.

I dont believe anyone who buys a JetJoe will be fitting it into a $3000 plane.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 AM
swampy57

Hi VA
If you like tinkering with things a JJ is a good thing.
If you want to set a turbine up and fly with the lease amount of tinkering go to a Wren, PST, Jetcat or one of the more expensive units.
I have 2 x JJ1800 in a 3.5m Warthog yet to fly but will do this spring here down under 2 x Wren 200xls in my two FA 18f and a TJT 3000 in a boomerang xl. that is flown most weekends and has had around 100l of fuel put through it.
It took a little work to get the JJ's working well. The most important thing to do is have the wheel balanced.
What ever you choose have fun

swampy57
Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 AM
BJ64

... so crashing a plane due to a failing turbine would cost more then buying a quality brand.
That's why you use TWO LoL

BJ
Old 07-09-2009, 07:03 PM
chrispare

well i got my jj used it had around 300 minutes on the ecu. (never in the air).
since then i have done a few things to it and the settings ,put almost 100 minutes on the ecu.
well finally tonight it ran flawlessly and strong. before it was flamin or something else,
I am going to measure the thrust as soon as i make a contraption to do so,but from the push i feel its gotta be pretty close to spec.
now i just got to put it into an airframe.

But even with all the tinkering i have done i am happy with what i have,,
Besides thats why im in this hobbie.
and yes this is my first turbine.

Happy jet joe owner
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
BJ64

Touchè Chrispare.

That's the same reason I've been bitten by this bug - a lot of fiddling and mucking around sometimes, but also a lot of learning and rewards to be gained.

Now that I've got my first one up and running, I think I'll go for it's twin (I'll need 2 for this longer-term project of mine). I thought I'd try one to start with, and if it looked like a reliable goer, I'd get the second one. Looks like the Visa card might get another hammering soon

I will probably send mine off to a Dealer here in Oz to give it a good going over and balance etc. before I finally run them in an airframe, just to be on the safe side.

BJ
Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 AM
tonyjms2005

Hi

Can anyone tell me what is the correct positioningof the magnet along the shaft in relation to the sensor?

Thanks

Antony 
Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 AM
chrispare

from what i understand the mag is in the nut and the sensor position dosnt matter, but dont quote me on that
Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 AM
tonyjms2005

Hi

Just out of interest, does the sensor pick up the north and south poles of the mag or just the one, I was just wondering how the system works...

Antony
Old 07-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Xwingnut
My Feedback: (24)

Yes,the magnet is pressed into the end of the compressor nut. I've run the sensor in a few different positions and it doesn't appear to matter where you bolt it in at. However, it is recommended that it be just counter-clockwise to the main fuel pipe. The main thing is that the sensor is positioned as close to the top of the retaining bolts as possible as to get it as close to the end of the compressor nut as possible. For the best performance from the rpm sensor twist the Glow Plug wires like a rope and then route them as far away from all other wiring as possible. Check the connector end of the EGT probe. If the wires are just crimped, soldering them to the connectors will avoid any intermittent operation down the road.

"Just out of interest, does the sensor pick up the north and south poles of the mag or just the one, I was just wondering how the system works..."

I do believe the sensor detects the vairation between the north and south pole so it needs both.

Xwing
Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 AM
tonyjms2005

Hi

Thank you for your replies, you have been most helpful.

Thanks

Antony

http://tributetothem.com
Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 AM
BJ64

JJ-3000 Update:

Got her sorted now - gently took the JJ-3000 up to 80k RPM today - it started pushing the 'test stand' with half a bag of sand on it, so I had to back it off. That, and the fact that my 360ml 'fuel bottle' drains pretty quickly.

But, man oh man, that thing is totally awesome. The high-pitched compressor whine is one thing, but the ROAR from the exhaust is something again. To see something 300mm long by 110mm diam punch that amount of power is mind-blowing. Then again, I guess the way it drinks the Kero gives one some idea of how much energy is being converted.

One VERY pleased JJ customer here - with a smile from one ear to the other.

Now, it's time to save up for its matching partner...

BJ

PS - Yes Xwingnut - most important to 'twist the Glowplug wires like a rope'. In fact, I twisted all my high-current leads (Glowplug, Starter, Fuel Pump) together after some sound advice from one of our Dealers down here in Oz. Something else I did on Bretts advice was to buy a Servo Extension lead for the RPM sensor to keep the lead as far as possible from anything else, as well as re-route my Glowplug wire down the OTHER side of the Turbrine. Now, if I could just figure out how to attach a pic of my working setup, I would...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Xairflyer

JJ-3000 Update:
Now, if I could just figure out how to attach a pic of my working setup, I would...
Dont use the fast reply use the post reply button then just click the link to upload any pictues/files
Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 AM
BJ64

Okies X... and thanks for the tip.

Hope this works.

Here's my 'test bench'.

First pic is the 'old way' - FADEC on the right of screen, no high-current leads twitched up, and Glowplug lead down the Port side of the Turbine.

Second pic - FADEC and Glowplug leads on on Starboard side of the Turbine, and a Servo 'extension lead' used to push the RPM sensor wires out and as away from any high-current leads as possible (EGT lead is ok, as it only pushes low V and low A).

I hope you can see what I'm talking about here - obviously I'm no Pulitzer Prize winning photographer, but with a little imagination, I think y'alls will get the drift...

BJ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44708.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1234428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62764.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1234429  
Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Xairflyer

I am trying to setup the Gaspar Fadec software on a Win98 machine I have in the workshop, I have tried a few versions of the software installation files and each time it comes up something to do with a gauge32.ocx file not sure what as it is in spanish !

I have the software running on my XP machine in the office but really means pulling the ecu out of the plane to use it, so I wanted to set it up on the workshop machine using the RS232 cable.

I do remember this coming up on the Gasper forum but it is now closed, wondering if anyone here has a solution before I contact Gaspar himself.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM
HKruisman

Yesterday i was testing with the fadec software but i could not get it to run on a windows 2003 server machine. Eveything looked fine but all i got was an error screen. Windows XP runs great. Win98 should work but it is time to upgrade i guess.

I am trying to decode the parameters from the fadec that can be saved / written. Does anybody have a full list? I have most en can reset the runtime and use it with any engine but a full description list would be usefull. Line 28/32 and 38 and 40 and up are still a mistery to me......

Fadec parameters decoded:
1/16 autostart config

1 = Minimum RPM to begin to pump fuel (x1000)
2 = Starter ignition power % (255 = 100%)
3 = Maximum RPM before ignition (x1000)
4 = Minimum RPM to reconnect starter (x1000)
5 = Pre-heating time (x0.5sec)
6 = Not used
7 = RPM switch-off gas (x1000)
8 = RPM switch-off starter (x1000)
9 = Starter power at beginning of fuel ramp % (255=100%)
10 = Rotor RPM at 100% stater (x1000)
11 = First RPM point in fuel ramp (x1000)
12 = Second RPM point in fuel ramp (x1000)
13 = Ramp1 value
14 = Ramp2 value
15 = Ramp3 value
16 = RPM to reconnect starter (x1000)
17 = Max adjustable RPM (x1000)
18 = Deacc delay
19 = Idle RPM (x1000)
20 = Max RPM (x1000)
21 = Start/Min temp (x4)
22 = Max temp (x4)
23 = Pump start point
24 = Stability delay
25 = Acc delay
26 = Stop RPM (x1000)
27 = Pump start ramp

33 = Cycle (low part?)
34 = Last (low part) +1 in sec
35 = Last (high part)
36 = Total (low part) in sec
37 = Total (high part)

39 = Glowplug power

I tested a second jj1400 yesterday which ran at 420 egt at 162k without a thrust piece. With the single piece it showed 730 egt at 150k. I stopped....... the 1 piece is unusuable and results in very high egt. I will put my cutdown 1 piece on this engine and it will return to the owner next weekend. I hope we will fly oure formost's with jj1400 if the weather is ok
Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 AM
BJ64

gauge32.ocx looks like it's a mandatory Visual Basic file of some kind Xairflyer. I'm guessing that all the screens you see when using the software are VB screens i.e. the app is written in VB, probably using the VB run-time engine (??).

There's plenty of info and versions of gauge32.ocx on the net - in English.

Try Googling 'gauge32.ocx' and you'll see what I mean.

BJ
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Xairflyer

I am trying to decode the parameters from the fadec that can be saved / written. Does anybody have a full list? I have most en can reset the runtime and use it with any engine but a full description list would be usefull. Line 28/32 and 38 and 40 and up are still a mistery to me......
Which ECU do you have as the numbers dont match the Gasper Fadec
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Xairflyer

gauge32.ocx looks like it's a mandatory Visual Basic file of some kind Xairflyer. I'm guessing that all the screens you see when using the software are VB screens i.e. the app is written in VB, probably using the VB run-time engine (??).

There's plenty of info and versions of gauge32.ocx on the net - in English.

Try Googling 'gauge32.ocx' and you'll see what I mean.

BJ
Yes the file is already in the system folder so it is not missing, I think I remember somthing about it needed updating to work. I will try to download a latest version.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM
HKruisman

I have the AU540 fadec. These are not the parameters that can be set through the gsu but the lines in the parameter export file through the fadec software. There are about 70 parameters in that file.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.