Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron Speeds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 09:45 AM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron A-4 = 150 !

I Bet It will do 150, I known Jack Williams for 20 years, He taught me to fly rc on a Byron F-16 when I was 16, he would fly a Byron Mig out of Kmart parking lot on holidays, I heard of the A4 hes speaking of ! If you build the Byron A-4 light 9lbs full gear doors and no cheater hole( maybe using a digital servo to open and close the blow in door for take off ) use a Hot rossi that can get the fan up to 22k your going to be smoking! easy 130 ,and if all ran smoothly 150!!!! we built the First good flying Byron Kfir for Byron, we built Byro Box Jets and the Dual Byron Fans single motor Byron F-16 that flew so fast it ripped the elevators off! If Jack is up to it and we could find a Byron Kit A-4, Ill put up the money to put this issue to rest! and a case of Heineken's to Vince and Easy Tiger if it doesn't brake 150.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:00 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Default let's see?

Hey Jettset99..thank's for the reply..you know I would like to think if you put in all the trick's you could squeeze out SOME speed, but really I alway's looked for the Byron's to be reliable, which alot of times they were not!
I'm just I'm about done repainting my Byron F16 which has a Hurricane setup with a OS91, Weston Mini Pipe, 24 oz fuelset up with BVM inflight mixing going with a light grey primer only and given the fact that the plane flew really well before, with a "heavy" paint job,36 oz's of fuel and no gear door's etc.. I want to see what the performance will be this time! Also I like that I have the newer version with the split elev.servos in back. Funny I've had 4 Byron F16's, one of which was ripping so fast down a pass the wing ripped right out of the side and up the fuse..wicked..blammm..it was toast!Sooo.errr. they can at least go faster then they should sometimes?! Anyway I just purhased a Custom Wood/Carbon Fiber F16, the same size as a Byron, but with a OS.91/Dynamax set-up, really curious to see what the performance will be!
thank's! K..(I really need to just get a turbine!)
Old 09-09-2002, 12:19 PM
rcjetflyr
My Feedback: (10)

Default Speed of Enforcer with byrojet

Well here is my .02, our club purchased a radar gun and we have a state patrol officer in the club so he was running it (lol we figured he would be the best person to run the thing) anyways I'm at 5000' and it was around 80 degrees, it was running a bit on the rich side and from a mild dive into level flight they clocked mine at 136. I just bolted the pipe on at the length TopGun suggested and have never checked rpm or done any tweaking to see if I could gain a few more rpm's. So I'm thinkin that if I leaned on the mixture a bit and had all other things on the money I would think 140 ish would be in the ball park, any maybe 150 with the hurricane fan, short of putting a 12lb turbine on it I'm not sure you would ever get it to 180 though. Just my exp with it.

Regards Jack
Old 09-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Larry J.

Default Byron Speed

1990 or 91'
Sepulveda Basin Jet Meet
Byron "Bullet "
Rossi 91'
"Smoothed Intakes"
Sealed Lexan Exhaust

Top Speed Winner - 153 MPH (3 run average)
Had I squeezed the exhaust a little, who knows

A Byron will get there ... it just takes a little something extra. The cheater hole on the Bullet had a cover which I later duplicated on my A4.

PS - The Aggressors & Sport Sharks leaned (get it) on the needle and broke trying to catch it.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:36 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Byron Speed

Originally posted by Larry J.
1990 or 91'
Sepulveda Basin Jet Meet
Byron "Bullet "
Rossi 91'
"Smoothed Intakes"
Sealed Lexan Exhaust

Top Speed Winner - 153 MPH (3 run average)
Had I squeezed the exhaust a little, who knows

A Byron will get there ... it just takes a little something extra. The cheater hole on the Bullet had a cover which I later duplicated on my A4.

PS - The Aggressors & Sport Sharks leaned (get it) on the needle and broke trying to catch it.

Hi Larry,

good to hear from you again-have you heard from Paul Ivie at all ?
Remember that jet fly at Sepv.the year that we had a low pass contest ? Remember what happened-I slid tha A-4 on the runway at over 100 mph and it went back in the air-I was there when you flew that Viper at over 250 mph way back THEN ! - man those- were the good old days !

Jackjet
Old 09-10-2002, 03:24 AM
Larry J.

Default Byron Speed

Hey Jack,
I talked to Paul this weekend. He's been busy with family and still flys occasionally.

Someone recently called and ask if he still made the "Variable Exhaust" for the Viper/Aggressor. I guess there are still a few guys out there that want to squeeze a little more speed out of their ducted fans.

Larry J.
"Where D' Go"
Old 09-10-2002, 04:30 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Byron Speeds

Does he still make the variable exhaust?
Old 09-10-2002, 03:51 PM
jettset99

Default Byron 150

Ok ,someone owes me some Beer!
Old 09-10-2002, 04:17 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Byron Speeds

I'm still skeptical about the 150mph A-4! I can beleive it from a Bullet, which is a MUCH cleaner airplane, but I think, like some others do, that 140 is about the limit for any of the other byron models, coming out of a screamin' dive in an area of particularly heavy gravity!

The fastest Byron plane I have ever seen or flown was the JD/ITP Crusader, and my GUESS(did not radar it) was about 130. With a 91 and the Hurricane fan.

I'll buy at least the first round of beer, anyway, next time I am in your area!
Old 09-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Jackjet

Default Byron A-4

Originally posted by EASYTIGER
I'm still skeptical about the 150mph A-4! I can beleive it from a Bullet, which is a MUCH cleaner airplane, but I think, like some others do, that 140 is about the limit for any of the other byron models, coming out of a screamin' dive in an area of particularly heavy gravity!

The fastest Byron plane I have ever seen or flown was the JD/ITP Crusader, and my GUESS(did not radar it) was about 130. With a 91 and the Hurricane fan.

I'll buy at least the first round of beer, anyway, next time I am in your area!
Easytiger,

I know it hard to believe it-but it's true-and check this out-one of the radio techs that worked for Airtronics Radios had built a Byron Mig 15 that would go 160 mph-full gear doors and intake liner-and his Rossi .81 was tached at 22,500 ! 25%nitro fuel. Harry Wood liked it so much he bought it on the spot. Byron jets CAN made to fly fast-but you have to do the work and most people do not want to do it-they just want to fly it like it is.

Jackjet
Old 09-10-2002, 04:56 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Byron Speeds

I beleive ya. I like them the way they are, nice and simple, no gear doors...
Just traded my Byron F86D, it was really nice to fly, I'll miss it.
I got that engine from Harry Woods, along with a bunch of others. That guy was a Byron NUT, he really must have put in a LOT of airtime, judging from the boxes full of burnt-up Rossis I got from his estate...
There were four F16's, all built up, with smoke, but I could not have them shipped, so I don't know who got them...
Old 09-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Jackjet

Default Harry Woods Aircraft

I beleive ya. I like them the way they are, nice and simple, no gear doors...
Just traded my Byron F86D, it was really nice to fly, I'll miss it.
I got that engine from Harry Woods, along with a bunch of others. That guy was a Byron NUT, he really must have put in a LOT of airtime, judging from the boxes full of burnt-up Rossis I got from his estate...
There were four F16's, all built up, with smoke, but I could not have them shipped, so I don't know who got them...
Easytiger,

we have got to fly togather sometime-those F-16's-I built 2 of them and the red Mig 15 and other planes for him-designed the smoke system-and Harry LOVED Byron jets-he was at Mile Square Park EVERYDAY flying them-I think he owned 20 Rossi's. Man,I really miss those days..............

Jackjet
Old 09-10-2002, 05:19 PM
jettset99

Default Byron

Well Jack now your question of who got Harrys stuff has been answerd!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Jackjet

Default Re: Byron

Originally posted by jettset99
Well Jack now your question of who got Harrys stuff has been answerd!
Paul,

when are you coming out here to fly again ?-Please tell Ralph to call me today asap. Please bet,pigs upset............
Thanks.

Jackjet
Old 09-10-2002, 05:42 PM
jettset99

Default Phone

Hi Jack get off line Ill call now Pig out!
Old 09-10-2002, 08:43 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Default jsut got to say!

Reading the post's I guess Harry passed on..I thought the world of him and the other Southern Cali guy's..Harry, the Colonel and Steve Kortney would come up to the Bay Area for the jet fly's and alway's bring people and fly all day! Those were the day's alright!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Larry J.

Default Byron Speed

Does he still make the variable exhaust?
I know he still has the molds .... I doubt he'll make another "Black Box" to control it. I'll ask him or put you in contact if you want to purchase a variable.

I'm sorry to hear about Harry .... we go way way back .
Am I that OLD ???? !
Don't tell me !
I better get one of these turbines while I can STILL see it.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:11 AM
Jackjet

I know he still has the molds .... I doubt he'll make another "Black Box" to control it. I'll ask him or put you in contact if you want to purchase a variable.

Am I that OLD ???? !
Don't tell me !

Larry,

Harry went to the big jet fly in the sky on Christmas Eve 1998.
I sure miss him.........
And get yourself a turbine while you can still see good enough to have fun flying it.............

Jackjet :cry:
Old 09-11-2002, 01:06 AM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

Default Harry

I remember back during the middle 80's Harry came to the Southwest Fan Fly. Harry work half the day on his Byron F-16. Finally it was ready and down the runway it goes so heavy with smoke fuel it barely lifted off. It was flying but, just hanging. Well before you know it the plane is lurking over the cars in the parking lot. We were trying to figure which one was going to get smacked. It finally burned enough off and away it went. Man, those were some fun days.

David Hudson
Old 09-11-2002, 01:15 AM
Terry Holston

Am I that OLD ???? !
Don't tell me !
I met Harry Woods back in 1982, at Byron Expo in Ida Grove. I had the only F-16 with Retracts. Did it myself, before Byron came out with their system.

Harry wanted my F- 16 and kept upping the offer, but he wanted the radio, too. I said," nah, I'm gonna keep it. Sorry"

He got to 2 k ,And I still turned him down.

Funny thing is, I had a stalled Mini servo on the Rhom Air valve a week later and it went in on the third flight of the day, (Ran the bat down)

My wife of the time, said," You did what, to that Two Thousand dollar airplane???????

Sorry to be reminded about Harry's passing, He was a Kool guy!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 02:05 AM
[email protected]

Default byron speed

i have had 8 byron f16 not a one went over 122mph
Old 09-11-2002, 02:57 AM
Jackjet

Default Re: Harry Wood's Byron F-16

Originally posted by DCM
I remember back during the middle 80's Harry came to the Southwest Fan Fly. Harry work half the day on his Byron F-16. Finally it was ready and down the runway it goes so heavy with smoke fuel it barely lifted off. It was flying but, just hanging. Well before you know it the plane is lurking over the cars in the parking lot. We were trying to figure which one was going to get smacked. It finally burned enough off and away it went. Man, those were some fun days.

David Hudson
David,

that F-16 weighed 19 pounds full of glow fuel and diesel smoke fuel(1/2 atf & 1/2 diesel)-it sure smoked good though........

Jackjet
Old 09-11-2002, 04:38 PM
[email protected]

Default Byron Speeds

long live harry woods a name not to be for gotton
Old 09-11-2002, 04:42 PM
[email protected]

Default Byron Speeds

did any one ever see harry woods wear a cowboy hat with a f16 on the top i gave him that hat for his birthday many years a go allen weast
Old 09-12-2002, 01:51 AM
Jackjet

Default Harry Woods Aircraft

Originally posted by models
did any one ever see harry woods wear a cowboy hat with a f16 on the top i gave him that hat for his birthday many years a go allen weast

Models,

I seen him wear it at Mile Square Park.

Jackjet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.