Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat P60 Oring Replacement DIY

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat P60 Oring Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:45 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JetCat P60 Oring Replacement DIY

Folks,
Thought I'd document the starter Oring replacement I just performed on my JetCat P60. I'm not sure how other models are but I do know this is how I replaced mine. Feel free to add any comments or hints and tips YOU may have. I'm sure this is not the "last word".

Dave Rigotti

The pictures will follow along from left to right.

I gathered a 2mm hex wrench, thick CA (cyano for our English friends), debonder, a few cotton swabs, a small screwdriver, and a modified 2 1/2mm hex wrench. I cut off the short arm pretty close to the bend. You'll see why......

Remove the 3 cowl screws with the 2mm wrench being careful not to lose the star washers. Slide the cowl off the turbine housing.
Remove the 2 starter housing screws with the modified 2 1/2mm wrench. The data buss socket covers one screw as shown. Be careful not to damage the turbine housing by banging the wrench into it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49352.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	281285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21521.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	281286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68887.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	281287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59362.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	281288  
Old 06-06-2005, 05:58 PM
rcguy!

Default RE: JetCat P60 Oring Replacement DIY

Next we'll remove the starter housing by unsoldering the two wires from it. Label one leg with the matching color wire first!
Gently wiggle it out from the turbine housing
I used a soldering aid with 2 alligator clips on it to hold the starter housing vertical.
I dribbled some debonder into the Oring cavity and waited a few minutes for it to do its job.
Dig out the old Oring as carefully as you can with a small screwdriver or whatever you feel comfortable with.
Squirt additional debonder into the cavity and work out any fragments that are left.
A final cleaning with a cotton swab or two will leave no trace of the old Oring. I used a short blast of bottled air to assure all was clean.

Name:	Tr50052.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	281290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33702.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	281291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20992.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	281292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59271.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	281293  
Old 06-06-2005, 06:03 PM
rcguy!

To install the new Oring apply a single drop of thick CA (cyano) to the Oring seat and install the new Oring. I squished it in on the opposite side I applied the CA to allow the most time to get it seated.
Resolder the wires to the housing and reinstall it using the 2 1/2mm modified wrench.
Install the cowl to complete the Oring replacement.
Be careful not to get any material into the turbine itself.

BTW...It is a 6mm ID by 3mm thick. Probably 70 duro

Comments? Suggestions? Helpful hints?

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Pn35476.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	281307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14308.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	281308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60620.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	281309  
Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
av8rk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dave,

your descriptive and photographic documentation of this procedure is very nicely done.....

good job
Old 06-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Inconel_601
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tutorial and pics. This should be in the manual or the JetCat Direct Support forum, at a minimum! A few questions. Does this DIY void the warranty in any way? Where do you get replacement O-rings from? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Inconel_601

Great tutorial and pics. This should be in the manual or the JetCat Direct Support forum, at a minimum! A few questions. Does this DIY void the warranty in any way? Where do you get replacement O-rings from? Thanks.
JetCatUSA sells the Orings as an "Ala Carte" item #R1000. Don't see anyway it would void the warranty. Kinda the same as a glow plug? In fact I'm pretty sure the Oring is NOT covered in the warranty, "frictional materials"

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
John Redman

Dave is correct on the warranty info, the oring is a frictional piece. They cost $4.95 a piece and can be done yourself without voiding the warranty.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:05 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Dave is correct on the warranty info, the oring is a frictional piece. They cost $4.95 a piece and can be done yourself without voiding the warranty.

John,
Did I miss anything important in the above? Any errors? Any comments?

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-08-2005, 05:05 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

ORIGINAL: John Redman

John,
Did I miss anything important in the above? Any errors? Any comments?

Dave Rigotti
John,

Would really like your feedback on the above. Did I miss anything important?

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-08-2005, 05:10 PM
John Redman

Nope, all looks good.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:19 PM
rcguy!

Thanks John!
I didn't want to have any problems, let alone give someone else some!

P60 running well.

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-12-2005, 08:19 AM
r degen

Hey Dave how many starts did you have on your P-60 before you replaced the o-ring? Thanks Randy
Old 06-12-2005, 09:23 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcman58-RCU

Hey Dave how many starts did you have on your P-60 before you replaced the o-ring? Thanks Randy
Lets see what the ECU says...

136 ignitions OK
1 failed ignition.
Seems like 137 total "starts"?

8Hr 27m run time
67 runs OK
7min 34 sec avg per run

I'm betting the Oring wear was from the excessively long start cycles from the ECU program error. Don't forget you have the cool down cycle to add in here too whether it started or not.

Dave Rigotti
Old 07-07-2006, 02:44 AM
JasonBurg

Well there is a few things there that could use improvement....

1.) the O-rings needed are 90 durometer.

2.) The process described is somewhat overkill for what is really needed, however O-ring replacement is actually quite simple and very hard to screw up if done correctly. Basically , instead of unscrewing / un-soldering the starter housing, one can simply remove the three intake screws and remove the intake completely. Of course one should be aware and cautious of the EGT sensor (temperature probe). Infact removal is best to ensure no damage (twisting or bending).
Any questions can be directed to me personally at Jet Cat mon-fri 10-6 PST. 818.781.2300

Jason Burg - Jet Cat USA Factory Technician
Old 07-07-2006, 05:11 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: JasonBurg

2.) The process described is somewhat overkill for what is really needed, however O-ring replacement is actually quite simple and very hard to screw up if done correctly. Basically , instead of unscrewing / un-soldering the starter housing, one can simply remove the three intake screws and remove the intake completely. Of course one should be aware and cautious of the EGT sensor (temperature probe). Infact removal is best to ensure no damage (twisting or bending).
Any questions can be directed to me personally at Jet Cat mon-fri 10-6 PST. 818.781.2300

Jason,
Thanks for the duro info. I was directed to unsolder the starter housing by JetCatUSA.
Won't removing the entire front end void any warranty?

Maybe some additional pictures of the alternate method would be in order?

Dave
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

ORIGINAL: JasonBurg

Jason,
Thanks for the duro info. I was directed to unsolder the starter housing by JetCatUSA.
Won't removing the entire front end void any warranty?

Maybe some additional pictures of the alternate method would be in order?

Dave
Jason,
Will removing the front end void the warranty?
Any pictures on this alternate method?

Dave Rigotti
Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Jason Burg

No sir. The warranty will not be voided if you replace the O-ring the way i descibed. Infact, the method explained was the specific method I use. The reason i say not to remove the starter is because the alignment of the starter to the compressor nut is critical. Any change in this alignment may casue problems with the bendix engagement / disengagement. If the starter bendix does not disengage at the proper time (about 33,000 RPM), the starter becomes a generator and sends a very unwanted current to the ECU power board. (as most of you know, the only difference between a starter motor and a generator is the direction of current supply) So if any of you want to change a starter O-ring, and are NOT SURE what procedure to follow, call JetCat and i will talk you through it.

Jason Burg / JetCat USA / Technician
Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Jason Burg

Oh, and if you know a place to buy those O-rings (the correct size and durometer) let me know!

Jason Burg
Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just used this procedure to replace the O-Ring in my P70.
The only difference that I noted in the P70 is that the starter housing is held in with 2 Phillips head screws and there is easy access to them with out the need for special or modified tools. The data port is not in the way like it is on the P60.
It worked great.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 02:52 PM
ricardinho

mine on my p70 just happened today. it makes a windy noise and wont retract in and out any more. my friend is going to fix it for me tomorrow. just curious of what sighns yours was showing when it went up..pat
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Pat,
You get a metal on metal clank type sound during the initial spool up when the starter grabs the spinner nut.
V..
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
ricardinho

you are right. i noticed the stating process over the last two weeks has been taking longer. i guess all at once it just wears out. luckly i noticed the weird noise on the last flight before i started the engine. who knows i could have flown a full flight and didnt know if it was stuck.. i guess the little rubber o ring wears so there is no way to grip and pull in and out right. this is my first turbine and jet. i think i am wearing myself out.. luckly i have a friend who is skilled to work on these engines... i read wear you said when it grabs the spinner nut. i can take a screwdriver and gently push it in but when you run the compressor it comes out but doesnt go back in like its suppose to the makes the grindy noise. does that sound right...pat
Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

My P70 started to make noise over about 8 starts. I thought it was misalinged but the o ring has worn out and I am getting the grinding sounds. Seems that when the ring goes bad it will were down the compressor nut and cause the starter to stick. I am sending the P70 in to Jet Cat for new o ring and spares and a new compressor nut. Next time I will make sure the engine is mounted so the starter mounts are straight up and down so the starter wont misalinge under its own weight again. Seems like there should be a aftermarket aluminum starter housing and mount to prevent this from being a issue?????

Freddy[]
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: junkjet

My P70 started to make noise over about 8 starts. I thought it was misalinged but the o ring has worn out and I am getting the grinding sounds. Seems that when the ring goes bad it will were down the compressor nut and cause the starter to stick. I am sending the P70 in to Jet Cat for new o ring and spares and a new compressor nut. Next time I will make sure the engine is mounted so the starter mounts are straight up and down so the starter wont misalinge under its own weight again. Seems like there should be a aftermarket aluminum starter housing and mount to prevent this from being a issue?????

Freddy[]
I now store my jet with the nose down so that there is no side load at all on that plastic starter mount. Saves on O-rings.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

McMaster has the O-ring size but only in a 75A durometer, not 90.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.