Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nelson Hobby Paints on a jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nelson Hobby Paints on a jet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 06:30 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Hobby Paints on a jet?

I'm finishing up my Byron A-4. I took it to a RC/body shop for a painting quote - they wanted 300 bucks for a simple paint job. Now I am thinking about using Nelson Hobby paint and doing it myself. Has anyone used this paint on a jet? Does anyone know the color numbers I will need? And will it provide a good, lightweight paint job?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:46 AM
lbrannan
My Feedback: (8)

Default Nelson Paints

I painted a Cyclone using the Nelson water based paints. In my opinion, they work ok unless you want the deep, deep paint color and the automotive paints provide. The Nelson paint needs to be "misted" on very lightly with your spray gun using many coats to build up. The clear dries more satin than clearcoat. Here's a picture of my Cyclone: (Not sure I know how to post a photo)...
Old 01-06-2002, 01:13 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Default Nelson Hobby Paints on a jet?

THE PAINT WORKS GREAT! I've used on my cowl for my Pitts special, for fuel proofing the paint comes with a catalyst that insures fuelproofing up to 15%. That should be adequate because you shouln't be using even 15% nitro on anything .65 and up. Call Jerry Nelson and talk with him, he is friendly and full of info. You'll like the paint, absolutly odor free also.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Nelson Hobby Paints on a jet?

i have just tried these paints on a plane a few months ago ... super product !! in particular i really like the Nelson flat finish clear !! .. easy to apply, and also easy to clean up ... i would use this stuff on any military or camo any time ...

i still do find that the automotive stuff is best for the nice polished mirror shine sport finishes ...
http://www.apwpaint.com/18638.html

Voy
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used it a few times-both flat and gloss clear. Ditto the above, but I dont think you will be able to use it in AZ. You cant paint with in in hot dry conditions ( or cool dry conditions) It just dries too farging fast. It will dry inside your gun in about 15-20 mins in dry conditions. You cant really get a good flow . I live near the beach and still I have had to pick my days to be able to use it. It will run VERY easily, but the good thing is just use a wet rag, wipe it off and re spray. Scott
PS these just arent my opinions-Jerry told a friend of mine that lives in Phoenix that he would not recommend it in that enviornment.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: GSR

I have used it a few times-both flat and gloss clear. Ditto the above, but I dont think you will be able to use it in AZ. You cant paint with in in hot dry conditions ( or cool dry conditions) It just dries too farging fast. It will dry inside your gun in about 15-20 mins in dry conditions. You cant really get a good flow . I live near the beach and still I have had to pick my days to be able to use it. It will run VERY easily, but the good thing is just use a wet rag, wipe it off and re spray. Scott
PS these just arent my opinions-Jerry told a friend of mine that lives in Phoenix that he would not recommend it in that enviornment.

how about using a humidifier in the shop
Old 01-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

That body shop quote if included materials and labor was a excellant price except automotive people tend to put on too much paint on models unless they use touchup guns to apply the product.I usually spend a minimum of 300.00 on just materials to paint a jet not counting my labor.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:20 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

I did use Nelson Hobby paint (it was in WI at the time). I never really did get the gloss look that I was going for but I think it had more to do with my mixing and spraying of the paint that the actual paint itself.

I sometimes still use it for warbirds here in AZ. It does dry quickly but I just use a little more water to thin it down.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37793.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	600188  
Old 01-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

This was done in Nelson. Not equal to an automotive base coat / clear coat but it does a good job, totally fuel proof, non-toxic and cleans up easily...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51655.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	600224