Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Can I get a WITNESS???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Can I get a WITNESS???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I get a WITNESS???

So..........................

Holding full back elevator and trying to keep the pitch attitude where it is with power. (the whole time the thing is trying to fall off to the left or right.)

She makes it back with a slight scrape of the lower fins.

Tap the brakes and call it a day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31888.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	285376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30959.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	285377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16632.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	285378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69556.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	285379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33689.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	285380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17831.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	285381  
Old 06-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Of course, as I'm taxiing in, I hit the switch again and the wings come forward. (airload on hatch was causing too much resistance on wings, needs a stiffner.)

Name:	Zx72594.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	285382  
Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B,
You may be the first guy to ever successfully land a Tomcat in that configuration at the base. Congrats on a successful first flight and a great save. Beef up that hatch and finish that puppy up. BTW, you are the Top Gun....[8D]
Tommy
Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

Bryce,

YOU DA MAN!! Congrats on an awesome job B !! I'm sorry I could not stick around for the flight any longer as driving back from Canada had me beat but I had no doubts, it was going to perform flawlessly.

Guys,

The pictures don't do the plane and Bryce's effort justice - You HAVE to see it up close to see the scale functional additions that I've never seen done on a model before. I am starting on my F-14 tonight and I know mine is going to be NOWHERE like Bryce's.

Again - MY HATS OFF TO YOU!!

Good luck.

Adil
Old 06-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Thank you everyone............................

However..................there is one small thing I had to do to finish this off.

I would like to dedicate this jet and all the effort I put into building it to my father who passed away May 11, 2005...................(the initial test flight date was set up for the 11th of June, 1 month to the day. However, logistics and planning moved it to the 13th.)

Sadly he had congestive heart failure at 58 years old. His influence has a lot to do with why I am where I am today, hobby and career wise. He would sneak down into the basement when I was gone to see how far along I was coming and this would have been his first time hearing a model turbine run for the first time.

So with that I would like to say.

THANKS DAD! (I'll always keep your old airplane and radio.)

Bryce

Name:	Ig13616.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	285384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98975.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	285385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16817.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	285386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73289.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	285387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32886.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	285388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14796.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	285389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16831.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	285390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89985.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	285391  

Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Bryce,
I heard about your dad from Johnny and I am sorry I have waited so long to express my condolences. He sounded like a fine man, as does your grandfather. They certainly did a good job, and I think he would be honored by your project and the fact that you thought enough to put his name on it.
Tommy
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Congratulations on the maiden Bryce. Truly impressive jet. I can't wait to see it in Hungary.

Adil, did you not have the same problem with your wings not extending at speed?

Sorry to hear about your dad Bryce.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to dedicate this jet and all the effort I put into building it to my father who passed away May 13, 2005...................(the reason for the initial test flight date, 1 month to the day.)
I'm very sad to heard that. And I'm very sure he is extremely proud to have a son like you. My condolences to you and your family

Basil
Old 06-15-2005, 10:20 AM
jorge*jet

Bryce,
Super job!! Lot of anxious moments and pressure to get the cat in the air. Way to go. Good luck in Hungary. Think about getting together next month to go flying with Adil and I.
You are the man.
Jorge
Old 06-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Adil Nasim

Hi John,

Yes. At FJ, I had the same problem and the wings did come out when the plane slowed down considerably. We attributed my issue to the o-ring that expanded with a lot of use and heat and subsequently, I modified mine with toothed pulleys and belt.

We did the same treatment on Bryce's a few weeks back and were confident that the problem will not recurr. It seems like Bryce's wing tolerance it too close with the hatch on (as he stated) at speed so that is an easy fix to line the hatch with some CF to remove the slight flex.

On another note, Ronnie of JetMart USA brought along my new F-14 kit with him on this trip and he has made Tremendous mods to the kit with a lot of updates, additions, and strengthenings. Ronnie and me talk on a regular basis (he is a hobbiest at heart) and based on my preferrences and his evaluations, he has made a lot of improvements to the kit. In addition, the kit can really be easily called an ARF/ARC based on all the additional work predone at the factory. I'm going to try to do an online review if time permits. My goal is to have the plane up and ready in a couple of months.

Hey Bryce - Where are the pictures of that awesome functinal tail hook ?? The first time you sent me the pictures, I thought you wre pulling my leg by sending me actual shots of a full size

Adil
Old 06-15-2005, 10:31 AM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

There are no words to describe your endeavor... Beautiful, Awesome... I don't know. Good luck to you.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Guys, Bryce was nice enough to keep me posted on his progress througout this project and I was aware of everything he planned on doing to this plane......However, in my mind I could not phathom how he was going to pull it off. I always thought that if he was able to do half the things he was thinking about it would set new standard in scale...He did it all! Not only do you need to have amazing building skills to do what he did, but you have to posess some of the most incredible focus and determination that most of us could only dream of having. I mean the deadline kept creaping up, but he would never dropp one of his action items to make it easier on him...he just kept focusing and putting in even more effort, leaving something off this plane was not an option. I know that if it was me, I would have left off half the extras just to keep things easy for me. Not Bryce. Everything on his list was gonna be on that plane, and it was going to be functional for the test flight.
The last time Bryce came out here, it was my birthday and we were all out to dinner and I look over at him and he looks just beat. I said "you ok B" and he says "just thinkin of all the stuff I need to do on the 14 bro"...."still lots of stuff to do" Of course sitting across the table from my sister running off at the mouth didnt help any, but I knew right then that we needed to wait until after he kicks some butt in Hungary before we can get his undevided attention back.
All I can say is an effort like this will not go unrewarded, and if the rest of the team puts in half the effort you have, then the US will be bringing home the gold!
Congratulations Bryce, once again you have proved that you are the man!
Your bud,
Dave
Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great model, great story, but such a sad footnote... sorry for your loss bud. []
Old 06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Liberator

Bryce,

What a proud family history you have! While you're Grandfather was flying his P-51, my Dad was freezing his butt off in the nose of a B-24 named Easy Livin. I am sure you have made both he and you're Dad very proud. Excellent job on the jet, you have a great talent.

Good luck at the Masters!

Tom
Old 06-15-2005, 11:25 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God bless ya Bryce!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:26 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Bryce,

You are a shining example of what this hobby can breed in terms of excellence, dedication and resolve. Thanks for helping spread the excitement and possibility of our hobby. In the end, it's not about the plane, it's about the man. Your dad IS proud of you.

Michael Kranitz
CEO,
RCUniverse.com
Old 06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
RPM
My Feedback: (3)

Bryce -

There simply aren't enough superlatives to describe your overall vision, craftsmanship, ingenuity, commitment and accomplishment with this project.

I'm truely saddened to hear about your Dad, however, I know he's looking down from on high with the utmost satisfaction and knowing that he & your Mother were the cornerstones which will allow you to achieve the goals you set for yourself.

I wish you the best of luck in Hungry and look forward to seeing you again at a future event. You'll do us proud.

Larry
Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

I was impressed when I saw the few pics you had on the Jet World Masters thread. Wow after reading the last three pages I am completely blown away. You are a great stick and a very talented builder and also you must be a little nuts. I'll see you in Hungary.

Sung
Old 06-15-2005, 11:47 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Bryce

Congratulations on your achievements and accept my sincere sympathy on the passing of your Dad.

After reading your thread, it reminds me of a post made in the moderator’s forum by moderator Flyboy Dave captioned “the lesson of the geese” which could be found here http://www.cedardalechurch.ca/geese.html

Best Regards

Ben

BTW... for those Nattering Nabobs Of Negativism that question why we should support our WJM team, this is what it is all about.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:10 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the F-14! I bet that those F-5 flying hours helped in that "no-wings at all" landing. also sorry about your dad, I know how hard it is.

BR, Enrique.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:39 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, congratulations to Bryce on the most incredible RC jet I have ever seen, and a maiden that sure did not look like the planes first flight with Bryce on those sticks ! and even with the swing wing problem, he still made that landing look good [8D] ... I converted some of the footage I was able to capture into digital format for all to see. Apologies for the not so good camera work on my part, but all the good stuff is in there

The F-14 Maiden Flight Video is posted on our good friend Bill Bailey's web site: http://www.uflyhobbies.com

I will try to get some more ground footage of the F-14 onto the web site also ..

Bryce,

You forgot to tell everyone how you almost got us all shot .... nothing like a swarm of MPs coming your way with their guns out of the holsters [X(]

Wojtek
Old 06-15-2005, 12:42 PM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

Bryce, you are undoubtedly the master! Great job on the F-14.....words cannot describe your modeling perfection!!! I asked Dave to let me know when you're in town again. We all have to go out to the Team TamJet's field and tear it up.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, I know the feeling all too well. I lost my dad to cancer at age 47.

Good luck in Hungary.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:46 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this has got to be the best thread Ive ever read. What an accomplishment. And what an accomplished person.
I dont know what what i would be like to loose a father or outlive my son. My condolences
You make hanging out at this place worth it.
Hope you do well,
Scott
Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

[X(] Incredible! I am(almost) at a total loss for words! WOW!

Sorry to hear about your dad...
Old 06-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Vincent

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Great Job Bryce!! good luck at the JWM.

<<<Can I get a WITNESS???>>>

Grand Funk Railroad...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.