Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is JetJoe likely to be dangerous ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
35.59%
No
64.41%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Is JetJoe likely to be dangerous ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:48 PM
NigrumAirlines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is JetJoe likely to be dangerous ?

Old 07-06-2005, 10:09 PM
EricJ

What are the Quality Assurance procedures of both Jet Joe and the other manufactures? Anyone really know?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

I have to ask you Gordon...do you own a JJ turbine? Have you seen one run? Are you asking this to gather information for a future purchase of one?

Luis
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: B1Driver
I have to ask you Gordon...do you own a JJ turbine? Have you seen one run? Are you asking this to gather information for a future purchase of one?
No, no, and no.

As I have already stated in at least two different posts, this poll was initiated to verify or refute suggestions that the "general opinion" was that JetJoes are dangerous.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
tailwheel234
My Feedback: (1)

I for one have seen several of these engines fly and haven't seen the first hint of dangerous happenings......but on the other hand I watched PST600R blow flames out the tailcone resulting in burning a large chunk off the tail of the plane and costing a recharge of a fire extinguisher! I look forward to seeing JetJoe enter the US market and offer a economic choice for those of us without deep pockets!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:47 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I inquired about the Super Sport because they sound pretty nice, but man they are expensive!!!
$3135 wow!!!!
Scott
Old 07-06-2005, 11:21 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's my 2 cents on the Jet Joe turbines.
Not having run one, I can't say if I think they'd be more dangerous or less dangerous as a functioning turbine.

However, I do think it's dangerous having turbines priced this low. Why? Because it opens up an even greater market of people who should not even be near a turbine to purchasing one. I personally know 4 people who have said "if they ever come down to under $2000 I'll buy one" and I sit there PRAYING they never get under 2K because these people will start fires, crash hard, probably kill someone with their inablility to fly anything much less something fast.
As much as I would LOVE cheaper engines, there is something comforting about knowing that for the most part, the only people that are going to buy them are ones who REALLY want one and can afford it since they are less likely to be hap-hazzard about things. I know there are exceptions to every rule, but personally I don't mind having to work a little harder to get an engine in order to weed out some of the people who probably shouldn't have them.
I feel the same way about giant scale, seeing the prices drop like they have concerns me.

So yes, I do think JJ turbines will be more dangerous, perhaps not in regards to the physical engine, but to the market and jet side of the hobby in general.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:24 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Boy I hope you have a thick flame suit.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:27 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Ferguson

Not having run one, I can't say if I think they'd be more dangerous or less dangerous as a functioning turbine.

However, I do think it's dangerous having turbines priced this low. Why? Because it opens up an even greater market of people who should not even be near a turbine to purchasing one. I personally know 4 people who have said "if they ever come down to under $2000 I'll buy one" and I sit there PRAYING they never get under 2K because these people will start fires, crash hard, probably kill someone with their inablility to fly anything much less something fast.
As much as I would LOVE cheaper engines, there is something comforting about knowing that for the most part, the only people that are going to buy them are ones who REALLY want one and can afford it since they are less likely to be hap-hazzard about things. I know there are exceptions to every rule, but personally I don't mind having to work a little harder to get an engine in order to weed out some of the people who probably shouldn't have them.
I feel the same way about giant scale, seeing the prices drop like they have concerns me.

So yes, I do think JJ turbines will be more dangerous, perhaps not in regards to the physical engine, but to the market and jet side of the hobby in general.
So true! People with more money are smarter, safer, and better pilots.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

So True lol
Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Fly Navy

However, I do think it's dangerous having turbines priced this low. Why? Because it opens up an even greater market of people who should not even be near a turbine to purchasing one.

I sit there PRAYING they never get under 2K because these people will start fires, crash hard, probably kill someone with their inablility to fly anything much less something fast.

the only people that are going to buy them are ones who REALLY want one and can afford it since they are less likely to be hap-hazzard about things.
I suggest you take a course in logic as it appears your argument is deficient in this dicipline. Money to buy a jet motor does not equate to flying skill. In my home field there are many such jets, and the model flyers cover a broad realm of the skill band. Some are very very good, and others have destroyed their jets through pilot error time and again!

Your argument is like saying a college proffessor with a doctorate in Mathematics pulling in $70k/year is less intelligent than a high school grad who does landscaping taking in $200k/year!

In the same field, Sepulveda, there are numerous pilots who are extremely talented but do not or can not purchase a turbine.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

So true! People with more money are smarter, safer, and better pilots.

That's not what I said, and I'm not going to let words be put in my mouth. I said there are exceptions to everything. There will always be bad pilots, with or without money, but the cost of turbines has kept them out of the hands (at least locally) of some people who really shouldn't have them. These are the people who would love to have a turbine, but won't even invest in decent servo's for a sport plane. It's not that they can't afford a $1000 engine, it's that they won't by a $4000 engine.
When prices come down, there are going to be people who will now justify $1200 for an engine, but it will be all they justify and still use $10 servo's in there.
I've seen people in our local club drop $2000 on a nice plane and use the oldest crappiest servo's possible because they are good enough. Now take that same person and give them a $2000 turbine jet carrying a half gallon of jet fuel, doing 180mph on $10 20 year old servo's. They don't think in terms of the whole package. If your clubs don't have anyone like this, then consider yourself VERY lucky, but around here, there are more than a couple people that are this way.

So flame away if you want, but I didn't say anything that doesn't hold true at least in my area.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:46 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

If every Pimp from Pomona could afford a turbine, it would suck, because then guys like me and Adil would have to SHARE the groupies with all these other yutzes. THAT is why jetjoe is such a menace. Jeremy is right, there's not enough glory and chicks to spread around that we can afford having Joe Schmoo Anypilot getting one.
So, my vote is YES. JJ is extremely dangerous! It's a matter of time before a bus full of nuns takes shed blades in their eyes. For the love of God, JJ MUST BE STOPPED.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:48 PM
LGM Graphix

Ok, I obviously didn't word my thoughts correctly, with a little luck, my explanation in post #37 will clear up what I was trying to say

For what it's worth, I don't make much money, and I certainly don't feel they should be owned ONLY by those with money. I tend to forget that in Canada there is no waiver system either which means anyone can fly a turbine regardless of experience (I know they can in the US too, but not within the rules)
Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

"Your argument is like saying a college proffessor with a doctorate in Mathematics pulling in $70k/year is less intelligent than a high school grad who does landscaping taking in $200k/year!"

Well, it's TRUE! Not ONLY is he only pulling in a pathetic 70k, he's got $22k in student loan interest alone to pay off. Doofus!

Meanwhile, the landscraper just bought a new Tahoe to tow his new Seadoo, and he's buying lapdances for the whole house down at Badabing!
Who's the intelligent one?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:13 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, Jeremy has an argument.

However.....you who posted "responses" (including the guy who has to gain financially from JJ succeeding....and don't say you don't) are just playing the class card. Jeremy is a working man. If you can't respond intelligently to his argument, then you can't respond intelligently....

I mean, who would argue that if manufacturers made very powerful cars, like the Ford Mustang GT (big engine), cheaply, that people would buy the car even though the power is beyond their skill just because the cars are relatively inexpensive.

*cough*

most expensive car to insure

*cough*

Sorry boys....as much as it hurts your egos, Jeremy has an excellent point. The more you bluster (meaning bad, nonsensical arguments), the worse your position becomes.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Fly Navy

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

"Your argument is like saying a college proffessor with a doctorate in Mathematics pulling in $70k/year is less intelligent than a high school grad who does landscaping taking in $200k/year!"

Well, it's TRUE! Not ONLY is he only pulling in a pathetic 70k, he's got $22k in student loan interest alone to pay off. Doofus!

Meanwhile, the landscraper just bought a new Tahoe to tow his new Seadoo, and he's buying lapdances for the whole house down at Badabing!
Who's the intelligent one?
Darnit I think you're right (as always!) Landscapers are really more intelligent than Ph.Ds, J.D.s, and MDs with student loan debts. All them D's = Doofus!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:30 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

5 turbine wheel pictures, all showing a turbine wheel which is only suitable for scrap.

Balancing a compressor (so far as where material is removed from) is not so critical as it does not run in very hot gas.

This turbine wheel would, if in balance, , show no signs of unreliability, UNTIL it gives up and lets go, which is a distinct possibility as it has been seriously weakened.

Just plain technical truth, disagree if you wish but please say WHY .

Regards,

David Gladwin

Old 07-07-2005, 03:03 AM
specialFX

I think a third option is missing in this poll: "don´t know!"

greetz
Thomas
Old 07-07-2005, 04:00 AM
rcdriver22

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

5 turbine wheel pictures, all showing a turbine wheel which is only suitable for scrap.

Balancing a compressor (so far as where material is removed from) is not so critical as it does not run in very hot gas.

This turbine wheel would, if in balance, , show no signs of unreliability, UNTIL it gives up and lets go, which is a distinct possibility as it has been seriously weakened.

Just plain technical truth, disagree if you wish but please say WHY .

Regards,

David Gladwin
David

This was correct, in that the early location to remove material to balance the wheel was strictly not right. As shown any material should be taken out at the outer ring. This is therefore an early wheel pre No 600 as the latest turbine wheels are all balanced in the correct position. I suppose the early Model T cars are now considered dangerous compared to a new Ford Mustang. As discussed in a little detail with Tom Wilkinson the editor of RC Jet International last Saturday the current JJs are at MK 5 and significantly different from the early Jet Joe and Wren 54's. While these Turbines are fine for home builders any novice may struggle a little. In that regard there is certainly some way to go before they are Jet Cat standard in PR presentation, though as simple turbine they are great. Are they dangerous? yes! just as Wrens, Behotecs, Jet Cats and all commercial turbines are. They are safer and more well behaved compared to some GTBA homebuilts, as the production quality is very good now rising. Anyone remember the first Chinese ASP and SCs'c engines?, shocking full of swarf in the cranks but now their Four Strokes equal or better OS.

Jet Joe owner owner Nos 672, 681 690
GTBA member early PT75 operator
Behotec J66HP

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20006.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	294577  
Old 07-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Muxje

When prices come down, there are going to be people who will now justify $1200 for an engine, but it will be all they justify and still use $10 servo's in there.
But if the engine costs them $2200 (which buys you a Wren, I think), they will suddenly decide that PCM and high-end servos are the way to go? Come on... I've seen people put cheap servos on large (prop-driven) planes, and to me that had more to do with a lack of knowledge or awareness, rather than a simple need to economise. If cost was the driving factor, you should welcome cheap turbines as people will then have more to spend on good radio equipment!

I know that the current jet-set already has its share of characters who really shouldn't be flying jets. Cheaper jets simply mean more people entering the jet scene, with more unsafe clowns amongst them. More jets will mean a higher likelihood of accidents, and a bigger push for regulation as a result. Still, I would welcome cheaper jets. I've heard many arguments from people who fear this, but it's all like saying "We should keep cars really expensive... imagine if everyone could afford one, we'd see so many unsafe drivers!".
Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Old 07-07-2005, 07:04 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

my 2 cents

I think jj turbines are great and am ordering 2 x 1400 this week and what’s that still have $1500 aus left over !!!!!!!!!!!!!! vs buying a P80! well i can see value for money there.

I also think people who continuously discredit jj motors without any real proof are just being pathetic as they are trying to justify to them self’s as to why they have spent 3 x as much $$$ as others who are having the same success for a third the price. And that the truth. If you buy something and some one else gets the same thing for less you automatically think yours is better as you paid more regardless of the facts, jealously ??

I can tell you honestly if I payed $4000 AUS for a P60 and then found out I could get a JJ 1400 for $1800 with everthing I would be F.... Pissed off ( excuse the language but that’s who I would feel)

As for allowing more people into the sport and that being a problem well that’s far to controversial to for anyone to be right. More people expands the sport = more products to choose from GOOD but also increases the rate for an accident BAD …. Catch 22.
e.g i have seen and know VERY wealthy people who have more turbines than they know what to do with and there for don’t fly with any where near as much conservatism as others who have only one. If people can only just afford a jj its more likely that they will fly with more respect than other who can afford many jets!

that’s what I thinks going on and we are all welcome to our own opinions! But DONT !!!!!!! Down grade a product for no real reason / proof espetially when it provides hope for many people to finally be able to afford there own turbine JET.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:50 AM
MMallory

Jeremy,

I get what you are saying. The problem is no rules (AMA waiver) or pricing is going to keep idiots from being themselves. Yes, the high cost may limit the amount of idiots.

I like the car example because it does relate to turbine plane. High performance can be safer than lower performance. However, in inexperienced hands, the increased power becomes very dangerous. Proof that price and rules don't work are the accident statistics, quoted every year in the news, teens driving sports cars are responsible for more highway fatalities. So... the higher cost of the car and the higher cost of insurance and the limitations (tickets) don't seem to change this.

Now the other side of the coin is, there hasn't been a tremendous increase in fatalities since most modern cars have increased in performance. For example, a new Honda Accord has about the same performance as a 1980 something Mustang GT. Yet, we consider the Accord a tame vehicle. We do this because the new Mustang is much much faster than the old one. But, the reality is most every new car would be considered a muscle car in the 60's.

So, to get back on track, if the price of turbines would come down I believe so would the price of better servos and airframes. Basic supply and demand will rule. The idiots will be identified and hopefully restrained. People, like me, who don't have a lot of free money for toys, will be able to replace ducted fans with turbines and all will be right in the modeling world.

Mark M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.