Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is JetJoe likely to be dangerous ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
35.59%
No
64.41%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Is JetJoe likely to be dangerous ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is JetJoe likely to be dangerous ?

Given that there is some debate about whether cheaper turbines may be cutting corners that shouldn't be cut, let's see what the general opinion is:

Are you concerned that the QA / QC etc being applied to JetJoe turbines may be inadequate, to the extent that the engines may be dangerous ?

Since all turbines are "dangerous" to some extent, let's assume for now that "dangerous" above means "more likely than any current established turbine brand to malfunction in a way that may injure / kill people, or damage property, or draw unwanted attention from the AMA". I think that probably covers the different kinds of "danger" that the jet guys are concerned about. If not, lemme know and I can adjust the definition if appropriate.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Is JetJoe likely to be dangerous ?

hehe...I bet 90% who vote here havn`t even seen a JJ in person..............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64685.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	294347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36291.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	294348   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27308.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	294349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99238.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	294350  
Old 07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering that I've run one, and never felt like I was in any danger at all, my vote is no. In fact, quite the opposite, had I had an airframe that it would push I'd have installed it and flown it.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Dave03B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nutter Sonnich
Old 07-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Dave03B
nutter Sonnich
At least it's not as bad as the guys who mounted turbines to skateboards, bicycles, etc. !

Wonder if he gains any thrust from water injection when the bow dips ?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Dave03B

Old 07-06-2005, 03:05 PM
piethein

Hello

As a JetJoe owner, #00620 (if my memory serves me, the turbine is in the stable), I had to answer the following question as YES:

Are you concerned that the QA / QC etc being applied to JetJoe turbines may be inadequate, to the extent that the engines may be dangerous ?

YES, I am concerned that the QA / QC etc being applied to JetJoe turbines may be inadequate.
BUT, I can not tell, if this is the case. Only time will tell it.

My personal experiences:
- Bought as ready turbine, no ecu, no starter motor
- Use Espigell manual ECU, Hausl pump, magnetic rpm sensor, 2 cell (With 3 cell, the control was blocky/crude)
- Ran from the first start, no problem, pneumaticair start
- Had couple of flameouts, that I put to too fast down ramp. No JJ problem
- Had some problems with my rpm sensor (self made). No JJ problem
- Found out, that my temp sensor (from my own supplies) was working intermitted when fast temp changes. Changed that and no flameouts since. No JJ problem.
Only 3 bench runs after the change of temp sensor, total 15 bench runs, all up to 160krpm.
Will make a few more fast accell/decel runs before we put it to some airframe.

When making bench runs, I have stayed well clear of the turbine, especially in the back end, so YES I am a bit cautious with this turbine. I also have AMT Mercury since 1997, that I just got serviced. It needed change of both bearings. The rear bearing was totally dark in colour and the ball support has cracked from both edges, so it was just ready to go, but my service timing was spot on. Also I have Frank TJ74, that now has 2 flights in it and about 5 bench runs. No problems with either.

I have the same problem as seanreit, No airframe to put it to. Well I have an old .45 Ziroli F-15, but it would be an overkill and would propably explode in the air!!! My friend just got a ViperJet so he will change his Behotec 160 to it from a Harpoon, so we might try the Harpoon as a testbed. Another possibility is a Kangaroo that another friend has without engine.

BR,
Jussi

Old 07-06-2005, 03:31 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SJN

hehe...I bet 90% who vote here havn`t even seen a JJ in person..............
pictures would have been a little more convincing if the prop hadn't been shown in the fourth picture

Cheers,
Old 07-06-2005, 03:44 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

damn.....you guys are just too sharp

A prop driven toy: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3137775/tm.htm
Old 07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
myork
My Feedback: (3)

I have seen two Jet Joes in person run. One on a plane one on a test stand. I did not see one thing that I thought was more dangerous than any other Jet I've seen. Yes joes are cheaper than other's. But I would not hesitate for one second to stand next to one running. I think danger is a chance all jet flyer's take when operating there turbine's whether it be a Joe or anyother.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
seanreit

Or for that matter them big wurly 32" props. Them things scare the crap out of me and I do in fact move away from them when they are running. All the time. In fact I stand much further away from them than when running turbines whether there is a perceived safer feeling or it is real, I do not know.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

I'd rather be hit by a jet going 200 than a 40%'er going 65... Seems like to me people are trying to suck all the enjoyment out of this hobby, Im more scared of a OS91/Fan than I am of a turbine, and then just like sean, before both of those, 30 something inchs of wood slinging around.

The only question at this point in the game that I'm asking is: What is everyone in California putting in there pipes these days? It must be some good stuff...
Old 07-06-2005, 04:02 PM
seanreit

Answer: Ancient Tamese Recipe?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Skymac

WARNING!!!

This product is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

I guess all engine producers now need to include this warning so people in Cali are aware.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
T45WingNut
My Feedback: (1)

aall turbines are dangerous, Full size or other.. just have to know how to run them.. the right way. with the limits set by the MFG
Old 07-06-2005, 05:22 PM
seanreit

This thread is yet another example of how I believe RCU has very little push or pull with the actual marketplace.

Apparently only 50 to a 100 RCU Jet Forum Viewers even care enough to cast a vote. Of the users that voted "it is dangerous" and by dangerous, Gordon wanted that to mean "more likely than any current established turbine brand to malfunction in a way that may injure / kill people, or damage property" how in the world could those voters possibly guage that from what's been written on this site? Opinions? Based on what?

This thread is as worthless as the paper it's written on. How can anyone begin to speculate that hasn't seen one or run one? And now they are suggesting that the engine is going to cause some type of bodily harm? Pure assanine. Yet, again, only 25 out of the thousands or turbine operators believe it is dangerous. Wow, that is a small percentage.

And those that think it won't? What are you guys basing that on? My opinion? Somoene else's? I voted cause I've held and ran one. Does that mean the next one is good or bad? I don't know. Some RAM 1000's ran for years and still do. Is that an accident waiting to happen? I don't know.

I think we need another poll to ask if this thread is relevant to anything
Old 07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Skymac

Yep.....thats the only thing that has made since from this thread, WHY is it relevant?

It has very little educated meaning (poeple who have even seen a JJ, much less one run or fly.)
Old 07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm, Gordon,

Let's see, which answer should I click on..............There's only two..Hmmm, Maybe you can help me after you take a look at these photos. Can I answer FIVE TIMES...once for each photo?

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14975.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	294410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72591.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	294411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82316.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	294412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92552.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	294413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96463.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	294414  
Old 07-06-2005, 05:49 PM
seanreit

I wish I still had my old P-120, I showed many people how much material had been hogged off the front of my compressor wheel to balance it. No one I showed could believe that it was a legitamate way to balance the compressor wheel (just their uneducated opinion), yet the answer summized basically that "it's jetcat, it must be ok" and it probably was, but still, just ordinary every day turbine guys looking at it said "it just looks wrong".

That's what I think a lot of this is, ordinary jet guys looking at something and throwing out an opinion without really really knowing.

Like the load stuff on spars, very few people really know how to calculate what is RIGHT. I'm not one of them. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but the proof continues to remain in the tapiocca pudding.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: seanreit
Of the users that voted "it is dangerous" and by dangerous, Gordon wanted that to mean "more likely than any current established turbine brand to malfunction in a way that may injure / kill people, or damage property" how in the world could those voters possibly guage that from what's been written on this site? Opinions? Based on what?
Yes, opinions. Based on whatever the polled people feel like.

YOU are the one who said JC was full of bull when he stated that based on the email and PMs he had received, itr seemed like the general opinion was that these motors may be unsafe, so this poll exists to see whether you or JC are more in tune with what the "geneal opinion" is. So far, you are ahead, so what on earth are you *****ing about now ?

This thread is as worthless as the paper it's written on.
Then why are you wasting your time in it ?

Gordon
Old 07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Skymac

Defense of a good cause... I've seen a PST where the backside of the wheel inside the ring was about 90% silver from grinding, it was all light grinding but still, the ring wasn't used almost any, then go over the next minute and another engine looked "NORMAL". Alot of Rams balanced like this. I would also be more worried about compressor balancing first off than wheel just because of the materials used.

Cactus, you still have the only SS in the USA?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer
Let's see, which answer should I click on..............There's only two..Hmmm, Maybe you can help me after you take a look at these photos. Can I answer FIVE TIMES...once for each photo?
No - unless you have fondled the engine, and run it once (on a bench, after having to repair it already) you are apparently not qualified to answer even once, far less five times.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM
cactusflyer

Justin, I dont' think so.........Why do you ask?

Sean, So is it YES with the the coveat that Jetcap can be dangerous too....or NO 'cause it's just like one particular JetCat P-120?

Gordon, Based on that, It's going to be difficult for me to "form" an opinion about base jumping, and heroin addiction and such.

John
Old 07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

[X(] Russ
Old 07-06-2005, 06:40 PM
cactusflyer

Like I said, I don't know how many Super Sports are on this side of the pond. If I were you, I would contact Larry or Cyndy at Jet Hangar Hobbies, [link]http://www.jethangar.com[/link] or call: 562-467-0260. They should be able to let you know.

Why are you guys interested in this?................Do you want to take some pictures of a Super Sport so that you can send them to China?...Just Ask'in

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.