Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aviation Design "Starjet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aviation Design "Starjet

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 05:06 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aviation Design "Starjet

Need to know what elevator servos were used in the original design, look like very small low profile.
Help
Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 PM
tommyboy1229

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Design "Starjet

Ha Ha, did you finally pick that thing up
Old 07-14-2005, 06:23 PM
limeybob

Finally! got rid of all that stuff from"you know who" off my bench. FYI the main tank capacity is 68 Oz
Old 07-15-2005, 05:30 AM
Big Tony

I've put mini jr digitals (5kg) in each tail half. Havent flown it yet its finished all bar varnishing got simjet 3000 power - before you say it yes I am a power monster - but I will derate it to 22lb ish weight is 16.5lb bit heavy but tough. Will be flying it hopefully within the next 2-3 week at cottesmore(uk) jet meet.

all the best

ant
Old 07-15-2005, 05:48 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

This model was never designed to handle that level of thrust and there is a very good chance it will be overstressed to structural failure, with control surface flutter a very serious risk. Remember , Harald Piggisch the designer got over 250 mph out of it with a JPX.

Mine, my second, is seriously fast witha RAM 500.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:31 AM
Big Tony

Why do you think its so heavy I've put a 3/8 carbon/ply laminated spar in the wing and 2 x 1/4" carbon'ply lam spars in the tail plus carbon in the important parts of the fus the structure will be fine have seen one fly on a P120 on full power with less carbon in than mine vs a wren powered one hense my choice to put a 3000 derated to 22lb ish

all the best

ant
Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

If I remember correctly they used Futaba 3002 metal gear mini servos although I would uprate them to todays JR digi wing servos all round. Rutter the Nutter is really earning his name putting a simjet 3000 in a little starjet. Mine as David Gladwins is,was a georgeous plane to fly with a RAM 500 because it was so light. Rutter don`t be a Nutter and stick your Wren in it!

jason
Old 07-15-2005, 07:33 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David

This is recklessness to the point of stupidity. Why do some jet flyers insist on totally inappropriate turbine / model combinations.

You just have to accept the fact that some people will not take good advice. As you say 22lbs is double the thrust the airframe is designed for.

If the person flying it has an accident in my opinion they would be liable for any damage done to a third party as they have exceeded the designed limit of the airframe by a considerable margin.

Making it heavier does not necessarily make it stronger, it just increases the loads on the airframe and makes it fly worse!

John
Old 07-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Big Tony

Mr fletcher my wren is in another plane the 3000 is sat on its lonesome the plane flies fine with a 66 size engine . I do have a throttle and I can use it stop being a little girl a blokes plane needs a blokes engine your only scared that my starjet will blitz you bandits.

All the best

Ant

PS don't you forget to take my pimple tent to cottesmore please.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Big Tony

Oh dear I seem to have upset the handbag brigade with MY decision on the combo never mind ah. A fellow brit has actually flown one with a p160 in on full power how wreakless was he ah. The mods I have done are sound under the instruction of a person who has had 3 over a very long period all with 66 size engines. Unforunatly some of the planes were lost due to a dodgy transmitter and one to pilot error on landing. I'm sure wren combos have been lost in similar ways.

All the best

Ant
Old 07-15-2005, 07:46 AM
john agnew

Ant

Just because some other idiot has flown one with a P160 at full power does not mean you have to be an idiot too.

Let's hope you don't become "Rutter the Flutter" or your reputation will end up in the gutter.

John
Old 07-15-2005, 07:50 AM
pecojets

be sure to cover all the rear area with ceramic blanket or metal kote
with the big turbines, space isnt that much ; a friend has one with p-120 , and it damage the fiberglass . it almost get burn !!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:55 AM
Big Tony

Fair comment john - I did say the engine is will be set to min.

You look at the uk bandit boys I know you can't compare a starjet to a bandit BUT look and the BVM web site and BV says 12lb to 20lb engine rating on the bandit Mr Fletcher has bandit no1 with a p120 and a simjet 26lb er both on full (and contemplating putting a merlin in one) and good old geoff (please don't scare my dog again please - you know what I mean) white his have I think an olympus and a 120 are these very experienced jetters being wreckless ?????? - maybe this is a subject for another thread.

All the best

Ant
Old 07-15-2005, 08:32 AM
john agnew

Ant

As you say you cannot compare the Bandit with the Starjet. The Bandit is engineered to a different level and BV only advises that thrust /weight should not exceed 1:1 therefore I would not see a problem with a 25lb Bandit and a P120 or similiar.

I think if you go to a "Peggy" or a Merlin in a Bandit you are most definitely on your own.

John
Old 07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Big Tony

Just to let you know I have a BVM xl bobcat on the board at the minute so I do know the quality difference. But saying that the way this starjet has been strengthened the structure should be fine with 22lb of thrust as for flutter who knows I will have to take things easy and use the power in gradual increments each flight as I do with all my fleet.

Seems like I'm going to need all the luck I can get for this first flight -

Ant
Old 07-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Geoff White

Ant, John and all,

I own two super Bandits, one is powered by a P120(27 Lb thrust) and the other is a Pegasus HP(37Lb thrust). I think the Bandit is more than capable of handling the higher amount of thrust as it is superbly engineered. However, and in my opinion and an even more important aspect that enables me to fly the bandit on that amount of thrust is that I am very careful with the throttle management. At no point during the flight do I leave the throttle open for prolonged periods without pulling vertical. This keeps the speed and hence the loads down. Also as soon as I start coming downhill I always(100% guaranteed) come back to idle. As an example of how easy it is to get the plane going scarily fast. A couple of weeks ago I was flying at Wroughton, pulled into a loop and went into cloud. I completed the loop and spent the rest of the flight doing the 'flat' display. Its at this point that because I was doing circuits I found that if I left the throttle open for too long the plane really started to 'wind' up. This is really scary as I have to do a turn with the plane going too fast and hence pulling a lot of 'G'.

In regard to the starjet. I have no idea how it's built. If(and its a big if that I can't verify) Ant has modified and strengthened it correctly then I see no reason why structurally it won't be OK. How much it will weigh after all the mods and with the KJ size Turbine, and whether the wing loading is too high is another matter.

Ant - I always scare Dogs, or so my mates tell me when I walk into bars and clubs! Oh and less of the old.

Geoff.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I have seen Bob's plane and I can't imagine flying it with anything bigger than a P-60.
It looks like a real rocket.

At 22lbs of thrust I imagine you could pull the wing right off in a turn or hard climb
Old 07-15-2005, 04:29 PM
pecojets

you can have all the power you want , just be easy on it
we fly hot spot with p-160 , give full power in vertical , but slow down in falls and fly-bys

pecojets
Old 07-15-2005, 06:10 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

You cannot compare a Bandit with a StarJet, one is super strong designed to take extreme loads, the SJ is a simple obechi covered foam wing/tail and F/G fuselage. The aerodynamics of the SJ are first class and its (near) laminar flow wing makes it very "slippery", it is a high performance machine . BUT when you start to overpower it and increase its weight significantly you are getting into areas which might well overstress it. I have flown many real jets where there is more than enough thrust to easily exceed VNE or even MMo in LEVEL flight BUT we had air speed indicators, Mach meters and in some cases accelerometers to allow us to monitor and remain within design limits. Not so with overpowered , overweight jet models, its all up to pilot judgement.

My experience with Starjets goes back to 1997 and I still fly one. It is a delight to fly, docile as could be, particularly with crow braking on landing and more than fast enough and with enough vertical performance and acceleration to delight most pilots when powered by a 12 pound thrust engine. Correctly built and equipped and flown with sensible throttle management, I guess the machine could handle, SAFELY, power upto JetCat P80 or Wren Supersport but when you get past that I think you are really out on a dangerous limb.

What next, in a Starjet, an Olympus ?

I rest my case and will leave you guys to argue it out !

Regards,

David Gladwin.

PS I have seen one of our less literate contributors "rubbish" the AD Starjet kit. It is in fact a very good , basic , kit offering excellent value for money, for a jet model which offers outstandingly good high and low speed performance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59221.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	297637  
Old 07-15-2005, 06:38 PM
tommyboy1229

I think he just wanted to know what the recommended elevator servos were.[X(]
Old 07-15-2005, 08:14 PM
limeybob

Great discussion any how, thanks for all the input. Aviation Design Emailed me the assembly manual and CG location. The manual includes throws and suggested servo torque. So I will start from the 3002 suggestion and work from there.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:02 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: limeybob

Great discussion any how, thanks for all the input. Aviation Design Emailed me the assembly manual and CG location. The manual includes throws and suggested servo torque. So I will start from the 3002 suggestion and work from there.

can you share this info to?
i am currently finisching one and am currently balancing it
but need to now the trows and most important CG location

as far as turbine goes:
we had one 2 years back we powered it with a kj66 with 80N of thrust
take off was about 30 ft , top speed was over 350kmh
now it is powered with one of our small phanteon,s and the weight decreased to 6,5 kilo
fuel 2.2 liters.
jet-1a landing gear
Old 04-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Strykaas

Sandor, any information about this Phanteon in addition to what is listed on your web site ? Who is the manufacturer, etc...
Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Friends:

I like very very much the Starjet. Anybody sell his Starjet ???

Aviation Design no sell this model in the actuality.

I wait for your answers...

Best regards from Spain.

Carlos.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:12 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi friends:

Someone sell his Starjet ???

In the actuality, Aviation Design no work this plane, only ARF planes.

If Someone has one, and no fly it, or is broken and no fly it (je,je) Please, send me a PM.

Many thanks and Best Regards from Spain.

Carlos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.