Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The Jacknife-new mega jet out of S.Texas

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The Jacknife-new mega jet out of S.Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Jack Holland
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Jacknife-new mega jet out of S.Texas

Hi Bob,
I will know for sure after this upcoming week. I plan on being there.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/VH3JYT7B1H7SZ3DR
Old 05-23-2007, 12:45 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/4HS34K051C8QYLDD nice deadstick landing
Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I spent a few days with Jack this past weekend at the B-17 flyin out at Bomber Field and the Jacknife was there in all its glory. Still every bit of the incredible machine I saw three years ago at MAB. Sung, if you see this, I'm jealous, I saw your airplane and it looks OUTSTANDING!

Over a bottle of Jack Daniels my partner and I started writing checks to get three of these, hopefully by the end of the year.

And for those concerned about my Knapp Rolling paint jobs, I kindly asked Jack to paint mine!

Jets in 2009 is going to be INCREDIBLE!

If you are in the market for a 100% Composite airplane in this size range, you might want to look into this airplane. Since this thread, Jack has made wing molds, and his work is quite excellent, I'm not expert when it comes to glass work, but I'm pretty good, and I went through all of his work I could see, and it is impressive for sure! More than half the fuse is 5.7 ounce Carbon Fiber. And only weighs 6 lbs. The last fuse I laid up on the megabar was almost 5 pounds and is not nearly as large, Jack once again has shown me I have a lot to learn!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

We saw Jack fly the model at GSW - Waco a few weeks ago, and it appeared to fly very nicely, and smooth. I think you'll be happy with it. It has a sharp looking shape. [8D]
Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

yes i will take credit for naming this plane over a patch of margaritias with jack at the austin fly in......after brain storming with jack gulp after gulp of the " ritas " and jack strumming his banjo...boom it came to me......

and what a plane it is too......im amazed at how much authority it has in the air cutting through the sky at full power while still being able to glide for what seems for ever.... just like a bandit....the plane comes in for landing at a very nice slow speed which i never expected as one might expect it to have to come in on the fast side due to it`s size however this is not the case making landing a breeze......tuff plane to with the jmp gear which you gotta love

jack you hit it big on this one.....and cant wait to see more of them on the flight line

gregg bingham
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Undecided
My Feedback: (36)

Any one know how I can get in touch with jack?

Thanks, Neal
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Jack Holland

Hi guys,
Here's new contact "hotline" numbers. 956-650-0602 cell, call anytime before 10:00 pm (2 babys in diapers hopefully sleeping) or 956-357-7868 only after (9:00pm-free minutes then-no limit...everyone knows how long winded we can be.

On another note, Bomber was a BLAST this weekend. A ton of stuff to look at, old friends we haven't seen in years, and made some new ones. A big thanks to Sean and Roger for the hospitality, the kind words, and for coming "on board with team Jacknife". I received a huge warm reception from everyone on the Knife. Speaking of the Seanmeister and the Megabar, you have to look past the paint to see this kids talent with his machine work. Throw him a chunk of titanium or aluminum, tell him what you want, and jump back. Retracts, struts, etc..swiss watch man!! great stuff! Our schedule is the finish of Sung's Jacknife in a nasty finish for his birthday in October. As Sean mentioned, his and Roger's before Christmas. I will building a parts inventory to cut down on turn-arounds on the semi kits. I'm offering to the builders a semi -kit for $3500.00. You order your gear from Tom Cook. This jet will handle the UB bypass and tailpipe from BVM, or use your favorite. A 30lb turbine is all that is required.

Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words,
Jack
Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Jack Holland

Ooops,
The semi-kit consists of fuse, wing, tail feathers, clear canopy, wing tanks/pylons, 3 fuel cell system(pre-assembled/pressure checked-nearly 2 gallons) inlets installed, inlet coupler. Wing mounting is done, as well as tail. Hinging is robart, gear mounts are set up for Cook's gear.

Jack
All calls welcome for questions
Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Jack

the parts count sounds impressive for a semi-kit. are the main structural formers pre-installed? jet looks good, wish I could've made it to GSW

keep up the good work

cheers
buck
Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 AM
seanreit

Buck, the main formers are glued in while the fuse is still in the mold. I can't remember the exact count, but it was around 3. From the inlets back, the layup was 3 ounce glass to the mold, layer of 6 ounce, and a layer of 5.7 ounce carbon fiber. It was incredibly stiff, yet light weight. There was no puddling of resin anywhere, I looked for problem areas, and there were none. I first saw this airplane around 5 years ago, and Jack has really worked hard on this thing. It was awesome to have him walk me through all issues of development of the airplane we had time to go over. There are even carbon fiber strips supporting the nose of the airplane to the main fuse. I have seen this Jet in person 3 times, and I guess that is what it took. I was getting jealous seeing some Ultra's and the Outlaw jet out there that are a little bit bigger than the Mega, and I had forgot about the jacknife, when I saw it Saturday, I just knew I had to work something out.

It should be quite some time before a bigger jet comes out And this one flies so good!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

thanks for the info amigo. i've got my eye over the horizon "so to speak" always looking for the next jet. Mig29, F4, Mig21, Me262 have always been favorites of mine but a good old fashioned big butt sport jet might scratch the itch also.

i've just got to get a real job that can support my addiction.

cheers
Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

That looks sweet!

See Sean...thats the kind of tail the Megabar should have LOL

I bet you already have the Titanium gear in the works for it. That is going to be one nice ride.

Hmmm how about some winglets??
BC
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
seanreit

hahaha Mark, you're too bad! But winglets, Hmmmm, you gonna come down here and help me sand them?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

LOL..Harbor Freight sells sanders
BC
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Jack Holland

You said the magic word. I always admired the great Tom Dodgen and his winglets. I'm tooling plugs(carving/sanding the heck out) for winglets that will be molded to add to the beast. A balsa ply combo in the molded wing tip,some zona saw action, and save the cut away part as you can finish it out and have a choice of standard wing tip or winglets-plug style with a pair of carbon rods/set screw as BV has proven on various projects. Have some cool scoops and blisters already molded for fuse vents and various effects. It a big jet that allows you a blank carvas for your ideas.

Jack