Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kamdax Mirage 2000 Fan Install

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kamdax Mirage 2000 Fan Install

Old 07-28-2005, 07:46 AM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kamdax Mirage 2000 Fan Install

Hello all,

I'm having a moment of intellectual denisty. I can't seem to figure out how exactly to install the fan on the Mirage. It is different from the way it installed on my Kamdax MIG-15. Everything I come up with does not seem to make sense. Does it just screw into those flimsy plastic things that fit into the fuse? My instructions say that these don't get glued so that does not seem like it would keep the fan in place.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kamdax Mirage 2000 Fan Install

ORIGINAL: TopShelf

Hello all,

I'm having a moment of intellectual denisty. I can't seem to figure out how exactly to install the fan on the Mirage. It is different from the way it installed on my Kamdax MIG-15. Everything I come up with does not seem to make sense. Does it just screw into those flimsy plastic things that fit into the fuse? My instructions say that these don't get glued so that does not seem like it would keep the fan in place.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

The mounts DO need to be glued in. Rough them up and drill some holes and epoxy them in. You need a small slot in the foam above them, if you look closely, there is a marking on the foam. After that, the fan slides in, it does NOT need to be screwed, the plastic tabs hold it.
What are you using, gear-wise? Lighter is better.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:06 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47170.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	302582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24591.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	302583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53365.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	302584  
Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Note the tabs lock the fan into place, keep it from coming forward.
Use magnets to hold the hatch in place, also.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 AM
TopShelf

Easytiger,

Thanks for the info & photos, I think I've got it now. I was planing on using magnets to hold the hatch down, thanks for the confirmation. As far as radio gear goes, I'm taking it out of my MIG, one of those GWS mini receivers and HITEC (can't remember the model nubmer) servos.

Thanks again,

Kent
Old 07-28-2005, 12:45 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

You can cut the front of the hatch straight down, too, on the panel line AFT of the one the directions show, the directions show the one with the "jog" at the bottom that gives you locating tabs for the hatch, but a straight cut at the panel line behind it is preferable. This gives you a much, much stronger airframe.
Place the magnets very carefully...one pair on each side is enough...IF there is no gap or misalignment...at least using the Radio Shack rare earth magnets.
As you can see, I am whipping up another Mirage, I beleive it's my fourth or fifth...fun airplane. Ditch the landing gear and hand launch it. Cut out the areas of foam below the engine mounts, and you get a terriffic pair of finger holes and some extra air for the fan, too.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:04 PM
TopShelf

Thanks for the tips. Yea, I unfortunatley realized I could avoid the jog too late so maybe on the next one. I was not planning on using the LG. Great minds think alike

I had one other question. I bought the glider version since I was planning on moving my engine etc. from my MIG. One thing the glider did not come with is the inlet cowls. I've been told they are not required but it looks to me like they increase the amount of air available to the fan. I would be interested in your opinion.

Kent
Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I am NOT using the inlet cowls, because they look funny, add weight, and need a lot of smoothing on the inside with filler to be efficient. I run a 1x2" or so cheater hole on the bottom in front of the fan, works like a charm.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:49 AM
TopShelf

I won't bother with them then.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kent
Old 08-13-2005, 09:27 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm putting my Mirage together now. What servos do you use? Are HS55's adequate?
Also what are the recomended throws in inches or mm.?

Joe
Old 08-13-2005, 09:44 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

HS55's are perfect. I set mine up for as much throw as I can possibly get, I like the extra agility. I would not worry for a second about the servos not being powerful enough, so set them for max throw and tune it down if you like, rather than settign the linkages for max power instead of throw. Just be SURE you CENTER the servos before gluing them in.