Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My newly finished Skymaster Super Hornet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My newly finished Skymaster Super Hornet

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My newly finished Skymaster Super Hornet

Just wanted to share pics of my newly finished Skymaster F-18E in Jolly Rogers.For power she has a Jetcat Titan.We were gonna maiden today but the weather got crappy and my buddy(bought it from him) wanted to see it & he couldnt make it.Opps that wasnt the pic I meant to upload first

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95779.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	307041  
Old 08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Steve S

Default RE: My newly finished Skymaster Super Hornet

Here is another pic,for some reason I can't upload two pics at once,keeps giving me a "time out" message.I need to get used to the software with my new Nikon D70 cam.It supposedly will allow you to adjust the jpeg file size so I need to do some more reading

Name:	Zx71634.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	307053  
Old 08-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Steve S

last pic till next weekend's Maiden

Steve

Name:	Ec87351.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	307107  
Old 08-07-2005, 08:31 PM
airtractor502
My Feedback: (-1)

has anyone atempted aF-18 ductedfan on grass
Old 08-07-2005, 08:40 PM
airtractor502
My Feedback: (-1)

if someone has built a yellowf-18 kit howlong did it take to build and how hard is it
Old 08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

wrong thread bro'

however, piece of cake to build about a month of steady work.

Steve

is that scheme out of the mold? or custom? looks good

Old 08-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Steve S

Buck

Naww my buddy Joey did the custom paint on her.The pictures really don't do the F-18 justice cause this was my first day out with my new Nikon D70.I am still trying to adapt myself to this new camera as I just bought it Friday.There is so much to get used to on this thing.

There is alot of detail on this bird.The Super Hornet has lots of weathering on top & bottom and all logos & markings are painted with stencils .One of the new SM Fully detailed cockpits is installed as well [8D]

Steve
Old 08-07-2005, 08:52 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck on your maiden...
Old 08-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Steve S

Thanks a bunch!! I am hoping for a "uneventful" maiden , don't wanna put so much as a scratch on her [&:]

Steve
Old 08-07-2005, 08:58 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

tell Joey nice work amigo.

the maiden will be a no-brainer and it will rapidly become one of your most favorite planes to fly

good luck
Old 08-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Steve S

Buck

Thanks alot,I'll pass the kudos onto Joey

Old 08-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Dave03B

sweeeeeet. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:58 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Very Nice Steve

Joey did a great job on the paint! Let us know how it fly's!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:11 AM
Steve S

Duke

Thanks alot my friend.You guys at Airpac have been nothing short of great in regards to customer service & helpful advice.You have a customer in me for the long road.Joey is just about finished with my F-5 too!! In Air Force Aggressor 3 tone Camo.I saw my F-5 last wednesday & she looks almost as great as the F-18

I got your PM this morning too.I will give you a call sometime today.I tend to always forget you guys are 6 hours behind us in HI and many a time I have called Airpac too early forgetting about the big time difference [8D]

Thanks,Steve
Old 08-08-2005, 12:17 PM
SoppyJoe
My Feedback: (59)

Buck and Duke,
Thanks for the kind remarks on the paint work! I think she is gonna look great in the air.
I'll have the F-5 ready for clear this week Steve.

Joey.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great...

Just out of curiosity, why do all of the stabilators droop during static photos with these skymaster F-18 planes?

Thanks in advance

Matt
Old 08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably because of the digital servos, when the power is off, a digital servo doesn't have any force at all so the stabs drop due to their weight.

Michel...
Old 08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Steve S

In case anyone is/was wondering the full scale "Jolly Rogers" F-18 Super Hornets are stationed here at Oceana which is merely 4 blocks away from my house!

They haven't been stationed here long,they just really started flying hardcore in the last month or so .But Man what a bad ***** looking jet they are and loudddd!Gotta luv it

Steve

Old 08-08-2005, 07:06 PM
rivdog

Looks good man! The real jet is actually in our hanger right now. Cant believe the detail. Cant wait to see it fly, hopefully Ill be out there. Has Jack seen it finished? Good luck on your flight.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Steve S

George

Yeah Jack was at the field yesterday,I am not sure what day we are gonna put her up this weekend.I need to check with everyone mid-week and see what day is best! She should fly sweet! I got my new Nikon D70 digital to capture the aerial footage .I got some really good aerial shots of Doc's Boomerang yesterday then the bad weather set in quickly!

I'll email you the pics tommorrow that you wanted after work . Feel free to give me a call thereafter if you have any questions.See ya this weekend man!! [8D]

Steve
Old 08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
jetaces8
My Feedback: (55)

Hi my name is scott I have a question for you I am building or i should say gearing up a skymaster F-18E the arf kit with the camo paint job. It is vary nice and everything is in good order but the stabs I have instaled the left stab as per the drowings I printed off the net since I did not get any type of instruction book with the kit. The stabs have a trimindus amount of ply in them there is no lateral play but there is up and down play abought a 1/4 inch and back and forth play abought a 1/4 inch to. I am using JR 8611 servos on the stabes and even after powering up the servos there is still the same amount of play. I have been building jet for a lomg time now and I have not seen a jet with this much play. Dose your jet have that amount of play in it if not did you do somthing differant to make it more rigied. I know that the stabes are on bushings which I never liked on a jet because of the play you get in that type of system. I also noteced that the bulk heads back there are not vary strong and infact one of the blocks that contain one of the bushings was not even glued into place it was vary loos. Anyway if you have any ideas or have done somthing diferant to make your F-18E better please let me know.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Scott

That does not sound correct. There should be very little play not even close to what you are saying. It sounds like there is something not aligned, broken, or just plain wrong with the kit. I will give you a call tomorow to see what we can do to fix this and or see what is causing the play.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:43 AM
Steve S

Scott

I understand what your getting at about your Super Hornet ,mine didn't/doesn't have that issue.Hopefully Eric or Duke from Airpac models will chime in when they see your post.Todd from Dreamworks may also chime in and assist you.Sorry I can't be of more help as my Super Hornet didn't have the issue that your's is having.As a result I certainly don't want to steer you in the wrong direction or give incorrect info since I didn't run into this problem.Good luck with your F-18E ,You will love it.I have heard from multiple sources that the Super Hornet flies even better than the F-18c,the Super Hornet is much more manuerable , you can yank & bank it hard with no loss in stability or altitude.We sat mine along side my buddy Jack's F-18c last weekend & I was amazed how noticeably bigger my Super Hornet is.It is not only 4 inches longer but a lot more wing area,much wider girth on the airframe & alot more lifting area on the fuse.Resembles a Cobra with his hood spread out as you look at a Super Hornet from straight on LOL[8D]

Opps Eric beat me to it before my post popped up.Eric will able to assist you in the issue,he has been very helpful thus far with my exprience with SM products.My Super Hornet is going up Sunday for the Maiden.I will post the results and pictures Sunday night after I get back from the field.Can't wait to see this beauty take to flight,shes gonna look awesome in the air.One thing to note is how light my Super Hornet is ,weighed it last night.With everything in it & with a Jetcat Titan on board she weighs in at just over 24 lbs.I am amazed at how light she is ,especially when my Buddy Jack's F-18c weighs 32 lbs yet his flies awesome and is a rocket!!

best regards,Steve
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Scott,
Since I built Steves F-18, I can confirm his plane does not have any stab play. As Duke has stated, The play you describe is not normal and indicates a problem. Sounds like Duke will be contacting you later today but if I can be of any assistance dont hesitate to contact me...

Looking Good Steve... Joey's paint work just keeps getting better! Best of luck on the maiden...

Todd

Old 08-10-2005, 07:36 AM
AnthonyW

Good Luck Steve,
Who is going to put the test flights on for you? Jack? We missed you this year at the Mid Atlantic jet Rally. Heard you were there briefly, but didnt get a chance to see you.
Good luck
Anthony Wiencek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.