Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spring Air Retracts for Jets - Good/Bad?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spring Air Retracts for Jets - Good/Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Spring Air Retracts for Jets - Good/Bad?

Hi Folks,

I've never used SpringAirs, are you folks happy with them? I've used Rhom, B&D, MK, BVM, etc, but no Spring Airs... I'm looking for options for gear to be fitted into a Topcat. The model is designed for them (HD700?), just wondering if there are other options. I would like to use shock struts, but I haven't decided whether to use BVM, Robart, or TopGun Knee struts. I'm guessing the model weight might be 17 pounds or so (haven't started kit yet...)

I usually fly off of pavement. Don't want to have to rebend struts and frames all the time... Thanks for your inputs!
Old 01-08-2002, 09:24 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default They're fine

Ron, I have the 700's with TG knee struts and my plane is right at 19 lbs. dry. They will be fine as long as your landings are not too hard. IMOH, 19lbs. may be about all I would want to put on them.
The thing I have found with S/A is that once the frame gets bent once and you bend it back, they're weak from that point on. All in all, I'm fairly happy with mine. E-mail me off list for more info.

George
Old 01-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a pair of TGA's reinforcements for the Springairs. Steve made them for the Topcat and they eliminate the bending frame problem of the Springairs. I have a set on my Topcat and they work as advertised.
Terry
Old 01-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Ron, I also want to say the Knee action struts from TGA are stronger than any thing you will find elsewhere. Ask me how I know!!!

Terry
Old 01-08-2002, 09:35 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Springair retracts

I've used Springairs in Regal Eagles, Miller F-4s, a Miller T-38 and even used the 1/4 scale gear in a 1/5 scale P-39. IMOO they are a little more rugged than B&D and Rhom air, but I haven't used either of these lately, they may have improved. The only thing I don't like about them is that if you want to use struts, like Robarts, the nose strut wiill have to be installed on a 3/16 piece of music wire installed into the retract pivot block. I believe their 700 series retracts will accept struts directly into the mains. I have Springairs in my F-16 which I sometimes fly off grass and they have held up OK.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:53 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Ron,
I also HAD a set of 700's in my kangaroo and just as George states, the frames bend on hard landings and once bent the are weak. Made my own stiffeners (copies of TG's) and although they helped I think my frames were already too weak. I love spring air gear but on the heavier (18# and up) planes I would go with another brand. They do work great on my TG F15!
Todd
Old 01-09-2002, 03:02 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swear by the springairs above all other brands. Infinitely more reliable due to their quality construction and single air line design. All my jets have them nowadays.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Retracts

Thanks for the inputs guys,

I will most likely go the Spring Air route. Todd, have you swapped your SA gear out for something else in your Kangaroo?
Old 01-09-2002, 05:16 PM
rcav8tr

Default Spring Airs

grbaker et al.

400, 500, 700 and 800 series retracts are designed to accept Robart Oleo struts directly without intermediate wires. You can also order wire main gear with a strut nose gear and vice versa.

I will have to check on the Spring Air retracts being spec'd by Top Gun. I will and get back to this posting with an answer.

In the meantime happy flying.

Ed