Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA Disapproval Causes Heart of Ohio Move!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA Disapproval Causes Heart of Ohio Move!

Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 PM
BigT-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA Disapproval Causes Heart of Ohio Move!

After receiving tentative FAA approval we have received a letter from them denying use of the Fayette County Airport for the Heart of Ohio Jet Sctamble. The actual letter will be posted on the TORKS website (www.torks.com) ASAP.

After careful consideration by the TORKS organization, we have decided to move the event to the TORKS Field of Dreams located at 6321 Young Road, Grove City, OH 43123. Naturally, many things are changing quickly and updates will be posted on the TORKS website. The TORKS Field of Dreams features a 70x700 foot paved runway and 100x700 foot grass parallel runway. We hope for your continued support of this grand event. Registered participants unable to attend due to the change of venue should email the event coordinator at [email protected] or contact me at [email protected].

Naturally, the FAA's position has made life difficult for organizers of model jet events everywhere. However, we remain committed to hosting a quality jet event for all participants. Once again, updates will be posted on the TORKS website as they become available.

BIG-T
Old 08-18-2005, 10:01 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: FAA Disapproval Causes Heart of Ohio Move!

Good luck with the new location Terry, I know you guys (TORKS) can pull it off!!

Boy Skeet you really blew it, you shoulda told us this was coming, buddy....[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

OMG!, and they said the sky is not falling?

Old 08-19-2005, 05:08 AM
rcav8tr

Hi Terry

We're still coming. Just need to know whether the dinner etc are going to change or remain as they are.

Also, on the FAA side of things, this is where the host city/town should get invovled with your Congress and Senate Representatives and raise hell over how much money the local business are going to lose because of this. For HOH alone, say 75 rooms at $62/night times 3 night is $13950.00. Then tack on another $7500.00 in meals. Plus gas, the ladies and their credit cards at the local mall[], etc. Your talking about a significant cash inflow into the local economy. I hesitate to think what Superweek puts into the local Metropolis economy!

Just my .02 cents Canadian, it's even worth more these days.

Ed
Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 AM
IFlyRC5630
My Feedback: (50)

Ed,

Just talked to Terry. I told him I had time to give you some info so here goes.

The Friday Pizza Party is ON and there are lots of restaurants near the TORKS Field of Dreams so pilots and TORKS will go somwhere local for dinner Saturday night for a group meal. Everyone will be on their own to order from menu. This would be no different than what was planned at the original venue.

Terry and the TORKS are here to help any the pilots if needed. Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks,

Bill
Jet Scramble Committee
Old 08-19-2005, 07:27 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcav8tr

Hi Terry

We're still coming. Just need to know whether the dinner etc are going to change or remain as they are.

Also, on the FAA side of things, this is where the host city/town should get invovled with your Congress and Senate Representatives and raise hell over how much money the local business are going to lose because of this. For HOH alone, say 75 rooms at $62/night times 3 night is $13950.00. Then tack on another $7500.00 in meals. Plus gas, the ladies and their credit cards at the local mall[], etc. Your talking about a significant cash inflow into the local economy. I hesitate to think what Superweek puts into the local Metropolis economy!

Just my .02 cents Canadian, it's even worth more these days.

Ed
Ed,
This was tried in Missouri with no adequate results at all. Perhaps we should call ET since he seems to think this was all a big lie and nothing was going to come of it....[&o]
It is going to take an organized effort from every region of the US on lots of levels to get this thing taken care of, and then I am not so sure we can do it.
Tommy
Old 08-19-2005, 08:03 AM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

Bill, Just curious how far the hotels are from this site and if the site is large enough to handle motor homes. I was thinking about canceling the rooms and driving the RV up. Scott
Old 08-19-2005, 08:04 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I've dreamed of having an event like this at my hometown county airport. But now....[&o]
I look forward to visiting the TORKS field.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:06 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Tommy,
Do you think there's anything we can do to get our views known?
I'm sure AMA is working at some level behind the scenes, but I was wondering if individuals/ clubs could get involved somehow, or should we just lay low for awhile.
IMHO it's going to take years to get this reversed/modified, as I'm sure the FEDS are digging in their heels and probably are not recpetive to compromise right now. I know from working with the EPA that they never change their mind right away, they feel it would show "weakness".
I was taken to task by ET about my thread over at the AMA forum; I posted an update for those that don't visit the jet forum.
Thanks for the info and insight you've provided about this issue.
BRG,
Jon
Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
deweyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big T
which FAA facility are you working with? I know some FEDS that you could personaly talk to about this matter and they may be able to help you. if you are interested please email me back. thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 08:47 AM
DocYates

I personally have no beef with the naysayers, but this is not going to get easier for us and as some go about planning events for the next year we are going to run into more and more difficulties. I have talked to some event organizers who agree that when it is a choice for federal agencies to say "yes" with some paperwork, or "no" without it, the answer will always be "no".
We may have more luck working with local EAA groups who could help us with "partial closure" or leaning on the local FAA folks who could be lenient. THe AMA is going to have to address this situtation and "telling the masses" to remain quiet is not the way handle it. In my profession, if you find a cancer you don't ignore it and hope that it goes away, you bring in as many experts as you can find to figure out a way to attack it and suppress in hopes of saving the patient.
In other threads we have denied that this was going to happen, or that it was only going to affect OMJ, but as has been seen it probably is not gong to stop there...[:-]
Tommy
Old 08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
rcav8tr

Hi Bill

Thanks for the uspdate. I'll adjust plans and reservations accordingly. See you next Thursday.

Ed
Old 08-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Terry, What hotels are best/closest to stay at near TORKS field? I dont know where to make new reservations. -Patrick
Old 08-19-2005, 10:43 AM
IFlyRC5630

To all requesting info regarding hotels, etc.........

Our field is just about 2 miles west from exit 97 on interstate 71 south of Grove City Ohio.
There are a few hotels at exit 100 in Grove City. (in other words, about 5 miles)
Big T is working on that to try to get some "deals" at those hotels.
The Heart of Ohio Committee is moving as quickly as we can and will publish new info as it becomes available.

To the question of motor homes.........we have limited space, but will try to accomidate all the motor homes.

Our field can be viewed on our web site or there is good satellite viewing on Google Maps. Just go to 6321 Young Road, Grove City, Ohio and you should be able to "look down" on our site using satellite view.

Again, I am here to help with questions and I will read posts frequently.

I'm gonna stick my neck WAY OUT....if you need to contact me direct send e-mail to [email protected]se don't bury me.

Thanks to all for understanding,

Bill
Heart of Ohio Organizing Committee
Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 AM
IFlyRC5630

Here we go.....Just got a call from BIG-T with hotels.......

All hotels located at Exit 100 on Interstate 71 (Stringtown Road) South of Columbus and just south of I-270.

Motel 6
614-875-8543
$37.65 per night pets allowed

Best Western Executive Suites
614-875-7770
$70.16 per night pets allowed

Hampton Inn south
614-539-1177
$85.00 per night NO PETS

Please ask for the Heart of Ohio Jet Scramble rate when calling these hotels......

More updates as they come in.....

Thanks for your support

Bill
Heart of Ohio Organizing Committee
Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 AM
ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: BigT-RCU
The actual letter will be posted on the TORKS website (www.torks.com) ASAP.

BIG-T
How soon is ASAP?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:55 AM
DocYates

Ghost,
I found it at...
http://www.torks.com/JetScramble/200...A%20letter.pdf

Pay particular attention to item #2 in the list, since I think this addresses posts elsewhere about having the events on the same runway at one end. This is a direct echo fo the letter which was recieved by others and highlights the remarks made to the regional directors.
Tommy
Old 08-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Terry,
The TORKS field will support an outstanding jet event. See you next Friday and looking forward to a great weekend of jet flying.
Bob Belluomini
Old 08-19-2005, 12:17 PM
ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Ghost,
I found it at...
http://www.torks.com/JetScramble/200...A%20letter.pdf

Pay particular attention to item #2 in the list, since I think this addresses posts elsewhere about having the events on the same runway at one end. This is a direct echo fo the letter which was recieved by others and highlights the remarks made to the regional directors.
Tommy

Thanks for the information. After gleaning through the document, we might as well kiss SM-05 goodbye or another event held at any airport unless if you want to run a charitable event for the airport. (See item # e)
Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 PM
MajorTomski

Think you folks in Ohio should personally sue Mr Pena, when they hold car races on Burke Lakefront for discrimination.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:33 PM
DocYates

Since this really only pertains to airports which recieve or have recieved Airport Improvement Monies in the past, this may not be the case for ALL sites.
Remeber the old adage there isno such thing as a free meal, well the bill has just come for some of these airports and their communities.

One interesting comment made by the letter...."We consider the mixture ofmodel aircrft and real aircraft as a potentially dangerous situation"...shows a lack of understanding oon their part here. There are methods where the two can share, but it requires really good ground control and understanding of the rules by the R/C pilots.

Tommy
Old 08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

In the letter, they say they consider it a non-aeronautical event. I guess that could be helpful should they ever try to claim the right to regulate models.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:09 PM
F106A

It wouldn't be hard for them to regulate models if they wanted to; just declare models UV's and lump us in with the guys going to 10,000'+.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kathy and I are still looking forward to it.
Gary Szetlak
Old 08-19-2005, 02:19 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See you their Gary.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11648.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	312394  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.