Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CJM Talon Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CJM Talon Jet

Old 09-02-2005, 01:05 PM
tothemax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJM Talon Jet

Anyone have any experience with this jet? Any pros or cons? Will it fly off grass field? OK for an experienced pilot but a turbine newbie?
What engine is a good match? Any comments welcome.
Thanks all.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: CJM Talon Jet

Read my threads on this plane on RCU, it is not worth the money.
It is a nice looking plane, and the designer did a great job. The manufacturer did a very bad job though.

It is too heavy (5lbs over weight out of the mould), it requires a lot of nose weight.
I built one, it is a lot of work, the procedures to line-up and install the wing mounts is extremely tricky, the wings are very heavy as well. The tail group also does not line up at all, you need a fair bit of patience and creativity to build them. The fuse halves are very rough at the seems and requires a lot of sanding, so do the leading edges of the wings.

The epoxy skins pealed off the wings on mine in a few spots, I left them as they are but you can cut and splice if you like.

Off of grass you need a 27lbs thrust class turbine. Although it is rated for lower, remember it is a heavy plane.

If I were you, I would spend the money on other kits available at similar or cheaper price and much better quality.

However, should you be an adventurer and decide to go with it, I have documented all the building steps and have lots of pictures

Regards
Peter
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Roger Shook
My Feedback: (19)

Peter,
I know your frustration, and noone knows the problems which came with those early Talons, such as yours and my first one. But is time for you to accept the fact that the plane has evolved. My new one is sitting here now and about to get the retracts installed. It is substantially lighter,(over 5 lbs lighter). No the glass finish is not like that of Jet Model Products,
few are!! But then the price isn't like that either. Honestly, this is not a kit for the first time jet builder. As Peter said the assembly and alignment of the stabs and wings is a bit of a test of perserverance. The parts fit of the wings to fuse joint and the stabs to fuse is much better on the new kit and and the wings skins are much better. Even with weight reduction on the new kits, it is not well suited to the 18-20 lb turbines as this is a big plane and and does need a bigger turbine. Sorry to say that dealing with CJM does require a bit of patience as they are not real strong on customer service. Sad to say you will find some people here such as Peter who have had bad, experiences with them and the early Talons. My experiences have not all been rosy either, in spite of the fact that I make the double wall heat shield for the Talon, for CJM.
I still think it is a very sharp looking plane and am eager to get this new one in the air. There are numerous videos of the Talons flying, some with the early plane flying with a 18lb AMT Mercury, but we aren't all flyers of the caliber of Lewis"the general" Patton.
Regards, Roger Shook
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46023.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	319032  
Old 09-03-2005, 09:33 PM
kyates

I just built a second talon took 5 weekends I got a couple flights on it at heart of Ohio last week It flew well its has a ram750p for power dry wieght was 26lbs 10lbs lighter then the first one I was very happy with it